• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am I doing wrong? [AS5+GPU]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
This is the 3rd time of putting Arctic Silver 5 on my MSI R6850.

Here's some photo's:

IMG264.jpg
IMG265.jpg

You can see the dry spots. Those pic were before the 2nd application.
Same issue this time, just less severe this time (no pics, I forgot)

So I just put fresh AS5 on again, and this is how I put it on:

1 Gloop in the middle of the core then I put 1 gloop on the right and left side, then top and bottom.

I do lift the AS5 tube after each gloop, so am I introducing air into the AS5 on the core?

Perhaps someone can point me in the correct place? Or tell me the best way to apply AS5?

I know OCF has a guide, but I don't have the link...

It's odd to see AS5 dry up in spots like that.......
Thanks.

It looks like a quite small dye, you might want to consider going with the pea method.

Good video:

4th times a charm? :shrug:

The card started to act funny today, till it BSOD'd on stock clocks :eek:

Turn out I put too much AS5 on it, started to mess up the capacitors near the core :facepalm:

Still, has anyone else has AS5 dry up on them like it did on my 6850?

You seriously need to ditch the AS5 and use a non-conductive TIM like Ceramique or MX2. On smaller cores like found on video cards, I usually just spread a thin film over the core and reinstall the heatsink.

I've an old AC2 here that is mini I've never used much I guess.

Even a old OCZ Ultra 5+ big tube I played with a short while and never used up :p

But I don't change things that often.

So Ceramique 2 or NT-H1?

I'll try to get some, but funds are tight.
I'm still trying to gather enough Bitcoin for a 270x :p

I'll keep an eye out for some, 'cause something tells me I'll need to put fresh TIM on again soon...

On that same page it clearly states the following:
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

The choice is yours....LOL

^I personnaly don't use it anymore (my pref goes to MX-4).

But I has some "accident" in the past with AS5, and nothing got killed or short.

It would make sense if it was metal (silver?) suspended in some sort of other medium. The metal bits would be acting as capacitor plates and the material its suspended in would be the dielectric. It'd be hell to calculate what was going on in there lol.

^I personnaly don't use it anymore (my pref goes to MX-4).

But I has some "accident" in the past with AS5, and nothing got killed or short.
Same, the 6850 still mines solid :D

It would make sense if it was metal (silver?) suspended in some sort of other medium. The metal bits would be acting as capacitor plates and the material its suspended in would be the dielectric. It'd be hell to calculate what was going on in there lol.

That's exactly why AS5 is capacitive. The silver conducts, but it's suspended in some thick liquid medium :)

Back