• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am I doing wrong? [AS5+GPU]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a tube of that as well, but I wouldn't put it on anything for 24/7 or pushing the limits.

I use it on 7 PC's, 1 PC has been going 24/7 for 4 years now and going strong. Also all 7 PC's run max temp at less than 40c max load on CPU running F@H.

I use it on 7 PC's, 1 PC has been going 24/7 for 4 years now and going strong. Also all 7 PC's run max temp at less than 40c max load on CPU running F@H.

Well, this TIM will be going on my GPU's and I crypto-mine, so they run 24/7 when possible...

AS5 is fine.

There is *no* problem with AS5. It does very well in various reviews. That said, I don't think your choice of TIM is the problem.

Like the first guy, I see a *BIG* problem with the lid on your card. It looks like "Dolly Parton" with two high spots and a low spot in the middle. If this is true to the surface, no TIM is going to help you fully.

Too much TIM is also a problem. You only want to use enough that when you install the heat sink, the TIM just covers the GPU/CPU. Too much and you loose conductivity of heat.

I like to place a small amount in the middle and let the Heat sink spread it out as I tighten it down. This pushes air out and provides for complete and even coverage.

We tested this at work. We carefully spread the TIM with a credit card and had a nice even smooth layer. It looked great. When that machine had a heat event, we looked everything over and tried the rice grain size of TIM in the middle. Machine lasted years without any heat issue at all. Many other reviews and articles support this view.

There is *no* problem with AS5. It does very well in various reviews.

It did well in reviews years ago, now it's pretty mediocre compared to some of the newer stuff that's on the market. It loses ground quickly when you take into account that it's capacitive and that it's got a huge cure time. Factor in the price and it's not worth it in my book.

There is *no* problem with AS5. It does very well in various reviews. That said, I don't think your choice of TIM is the problem.

Like the first guy, I see a *BIG* problem with the lid on your card. It looks like "Dolly Parton" with two high spots and a low spot in the middle. If this is true to the surface, no TIM is going to help you fully.

Too much TIM is also a problem. You only want to use enough that when you install the heat sink, the TIM just covers the GPU/CPU. Too much and you loose conductivity of heat.

I like to place a small amount in the middle and let the Heat sink spread it out as I tighten it down. This pushes air out and provides for complete and even coverage.

We tested this at work. We carefully spread the TIM with a credit card and had a nice even smooth layer. It looked great. When that machine had a heat event, we looked everything over and tried the rice grain size of TIM in the middle. Machine lasted years without any heat issue at all. Many other reviews and articles support this view.

It did well in reviews years ago, now it's pretty mediocre compared to some of the newer stuff that's on the market. It loses ground quickly when you take into account that it's capacitive and that it's got a huge cure time. Factor in the price and it's not worth it in my book.

TBH, I didn't know what TIM to use, so I just picked up what I thought was great: AS5.

As much as I like to say "yeah, I know the in's and out's of computers" I don't.

I have never built my own rig yet, and I still learn everyday :)

'tis why I love computers :)

Back