• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What brand is there for Closed Loop Water Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Like the (i) series doesn't?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725641

These are made cheaply by the 10,000's and have a MUCH MUCH higher return rate that a good air cooler or real WC stuff. They still are the best out there IMHO for an AIO (all in one) watercooler.

Well, until Swiftech begins to sell theirs. Gonna be pricy down there though. $149 list price in the US when it releases in March.

Like the (i) series doesn't?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725641

These are made cheaply by the 10,000's and have a MUCH MUCH higher return rate that a good air cooler or real WC stuff. They still are the best out there IMHO for an AIO (all in one) watercooler.

Well, until Swiftech begins to sell theirs. Gonna be pricy down there though. $149 list price in the US when it releases in March.

:bang head Omg...i really can't handle anymore of this breakdowns...i only have recently got back my Sapphire HD 7870 from RMA , due to Black Screen problems.....and now before i even own a H80 there already been cases of problems for the cooler :salute:

LoL , this really made me have second thoughts..:-/

Why can't things just work like clockworks :shrug:

the 2 problems are that ether the fan keeps reving up and down or the fans are stuck at max. and $400 where areyou buying from? the black market?

LoL , no dude , 400$ as in my currency 400$ , since USD is 3X our currency , so yeah everything its hell expensive here.

If is only 100 + in my currency i don't mind.

But sadly this is not like Japan Yen ,which as if 100 yen it sounds like lots of money but its actually worthless.

For a 100 bucks here its much as valuable as in spending 100 $ in US !

Only thing great here is there' s no natural disaster i guess

Because we live on earth

No joke here , TBH i never really enjoy live , the time im happy is spending time on my PC , online / in games, for i guess its a fantasy things are always great unlike our harsh living life :cry:

You could be happy today , maybe winning a lottery , but you could get so unlucky at the split second you get rob and during the process you get slash by the robber and ending up losing all your money and getting hurt :rain:

Well this is life :rolleyes:

Getting emo here lol :screwy: :D Don't mind me :eh?:

Anyways can't be help , you guys already warn me , if it does ending up with problems can't blame anyone but me for buying the H80 , i guess will just try my luck then , least it have a 5 years warranty.

Tks for the help guys , appreciate it really :thup:

Sorry guys to bring up this post again.

After this discussion , so i went and do bit of research, like you guys said , the Corsair Hydro H80 claims to be have loads of problems.....many users complain and regret getting it.

Most common problems are ( For H80 not Antec 920 )

1) Entire unit died within a year / or less
2) Pump Noise ( I think this applies for all brands , its caused by air pockets / air bubbles i heard ? Can this even be fix without doing RMA / least be avoided ? )
3) Noisy Fan ( Maybe only for H80 most i read , it seems either the original fans are very noisy / it require a high RPM speed to actually keep the CPU Cool )

So i went to search for another cooler , i ended up finding Antec Kuhler H20 920.

Its slightly cheaper than the H80 too , and i read some reviews...it's actually perform good as H80. And it have a program to control the entire system instead of clicking the cooler inside the case like the H80.

Also i tried comparing it , I Google it , it seems H80 have lots more complains and problems comparing to the Antec 920.

Most of problems for Antec 920 are just pump noise.

So a hard decision here, whats your opinion for the Antec 920 , in comparison which will you pick ? H80 or Antec 920.

Antec 920 - 116 $
( Not a guarantee price here , may not able to get it for it sated from the seller limited stock , it i can't get it from the seller , others are selling for 150$ which is more expensive than the H80 actually )

Corsair H80 - 136 $

Here are the review sites i found comparison with the H80 and Antec 920.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...-920-review-thermal-acoustic-performance.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-Kuhler-H2O-920-CPU-Cooler-Review/1314/8

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-H80-CPU-Cooler-Review/1371/8

In my mind i thinking if i were to get the Corsair H80 , its because i want to match build , Corsair case , RAM , Cooler , maybe even their PSU.

But in truth i more favor Antec 920 atm, but i still new to all this , what's your guys opinion then ?

The Antec is either the same unit as the H70 or H80, I forgot which. Actually made by Asetek.

Yes it is from ASTEK , but from the looks i think its same as H80 since it has a thick radiator

But we don't have ASTEK here.

So which you guys will go for Antec Kuhler h20 920 / Corsair Hydro H80

I would really want to go for Corsair to match build.

Anyone have experience with H80 or any Hydro series and can confidently tell me you will not have problems like

1) Dies within months to a year have to RMA it
2) Pump problem , have to RMA it , can't be avoided
3) Must have fan set to super high speed , over 1500 RPM , just to cool an Intel i5 3550 @ 3.3 GHZ which not even intended to OC , during Idle and Gaming

Cause it might be only 136 $ , but im spending over 400 bucks here for them , god i will F@$# **** if things go badly :bang head

Because my idea of thinking its " You get what you paid " , so a 136 $ i don't think its cheap...its even more expensive than the Noctua nh-d14
( i would go for this if my RAM doesn't get in the way , also a heatsink this big , i don't want my Mobo go falling down on me )

Not to mention Corsair its such well known , reputed and popular company. I pay this much yet i have to face BS , that's not something i would like nor anyone else i bet. :temper:

The problems that I know with the H100 and H80 are related to pump noise... I have a H100 in a box since I upgraded to proper water cooling.

Also, I changed the fans and the integrated fan controller made my Blademaster whine, with a good fan controller they are damn silent.

The problems that I know with the H100 and H80 are related to pump noise... I have a H100 in a box since I upgraded to proper water cooling.

Also, I changed the fans and the integrated fan controller made my Blademaster whine, with a good fan controller they are damn silent.

Pump noise , i mean is there more specific explanation to this problem?

Some said its caused by air pockets / air bubbles , they said this cant be avoided for all the cooler brands will too have this same problem

Or is it the pump is faulty and causing loud noises ? But i seen Antec program , the pump usually runs least 2 K RPM....but i still have no idea how noisy can they be....youtube vid seems fine , except when they amp up the fan up to 3K RPM , its like a freaking car radiator fan when running !

Apparently, the reason for the pump noise is due to PSU's pumping more than 12v in the 12V line, that makes the pump run faster than it should causing the noise.

Corsair is selling garbage end of. They pump it out by the thousands... and replace hundreds..

Antec 920 has a good record.. but still not where near as dependable as air.

Air is quieter,
Air is just as cool
Air has almost no failures.. occasionally after years of use a fan fails.
Air is not really bigger, the bulk of cooler is on CPU not stuck against front/back/top of case.. and air doesn't have big hoses running around either.

Water is problematic... CLC or custom loop. It's just a lot more complicated.. and as such there are all kinds of things that can and even with the best quality parts and best assembly techniques have problems.

Air has heat pipes.. I've never heard of one going bad.. unless owner cut the top off to get it to fit inside of cover or sanded through the pipe trying to lap the heatsink...

Air has fans that last for years and years.

Water has hoses, radiators, pumps, fittings, reservoirs, reservoir filler caps, etc.. all can and do occasionally have problems and can leak, pumps wear out and die, water grows things in it, plastic fatigues and cracks, or stresses and cracks, etc.

Air is quiet.. water gurgles. :)

Corsair is selling garbage end of. They pump it out by the thousands... and replace hundreds..

Antec 920 has a good record.. but still not where near as dependable as air.

Air is quieter,
Air is just as cool
Air has almost no failures.. occasionally after years of use a fan fails.
Air is not really bigger, the bulk of cooler is on CPU not stuck against front/back/top of case.. and air doesn't have big hoses running around either.

Water is problematic... CLC or custom loop. It's just a lot more complicated.. and as such there are all kinds of things that can and even with the best quality parts and best assembly techniques have problems.

Air has heat pipes.. I've never heard of one going bad.. unless owner cut the top off to get it to fit inside of cover or sanded through the pipe trying to lap the heatsink...

Air has fans that last for years and years.

Water has hoses, radiators, pumps, fittings, reservoirs, reservoir filler caps, etc.. all can and do occasionally have problems and can leak, pumps wear out and die, water grows things in it, plastic fatigues and cracks, or stresses and cracks, etc.

Air is quiet.. water gurgles. :)

Air is just as cool as water :facepalm:

A proper water cooler is quieter than a high end air cooler.

Air is just as cool as water :facepalm:

A proper water cooler is quieter than a high end air cooler.

Yes, for most systems air is just as cool as water.

Discussion is about CLC, not proper water.

But no, a proper water cooler is not quieter than high end air cooler.
Example:
i7 980 on X58A-UD5 w/Phanteks PH-TC14PE in R2 case will never go above 70c, all cores running 100% load for hours on end and NO FANS AT ALL running. Can't get any quieter than that.
Even the best proper water needs a pump.. which may be quiet, but not quieter than no moving parts.

Example:
i7 980 on X58A-UD5 w/Phanteks PH-TC14PE in R2 case will never go above 70c, all cores running 100% load for hours on end and NO FANS AT ALL running. Can't get any quieter than that.
Even the best proper water needs a pump.. which may be quiet, but not quieter than no moving parts.

I don't know how you have airflow in a case with no fans to start with, but you said CLC and custom loop. The only noise coming from my rig are from the GPU fans and my door fan, if I remove my GPUs and the door I could hear a pin drop and have good temps, if I drop my OC to 4.5ghz, at 4.9Ghz not even the best air cooler would be able to handle the heat and be as quiet as my setup anyway, and it only maxes out at 90C in a 33C ambient room.

Sounds like you have a very nice system. Custom loops are very nice. I'm not saying they are not better than the best air.

The airflow is caused by heat rising. In the rig I described the TC14PE was venting out the top so was it's own chimney about 25-30cm tall. As cooler warmed up the heated air created it's of circulation by rising out the top.

Example:

Doyle, have you ever done WC or have local friends that have WC? Think about your answer, you know why I am asking.

Not sure what you mean Conumdrum.

I had water many years ago. 2002 when it was aquarium pumps, homemade reservoirs, automotive radiators and making our waterblocks on CNC mills. Nothing like modern loops.

Yes, I have some friends who have component WC cooling... and others who have had and come back to air.

I'm not knocking a well built water system. And you can get higher overclocks with water. I'm just not into that kind of time, effort and expense.

I like the simplicity of air cooling. CPU > heatsink > heat pipes > radiator radiating to air.

Water cooling is good but CPU > waterblock > hose > radiator (radiating to air) > hose > reservoir > hose > pump > hose > waterblock is just so much more complicated. And way more expensive.

I can setup a good air system with a GPU that has PWM fan/fans, good CPU cooler with PWM fans and change all case fans to PWM with some running in sync with GPU and some with CPU cooler for about £100. That's £55 for cooler, 5x fans for £35 and PWM splitters with molex power for £10-15. Entire system will idle at 600rpm and speed up as needed to a maximum of 1300rpm. For a little more the fans can be 2500rpm and still idle at 600rpm but at full speed do more cooling.

Back