• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What chips do OCZ VX series use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I may have copied the wrong link from the XS article. My apologies...it was getting late and I had been on the road all day.

The M.tec branded chips are the ones that appear to have the Winbond UTT chips and they are the ones with the physical markings that look like the bh-5/bh-6 we are all familiar with.

The more expensive TwinMOS (Speed Premium) labeled modules are also supposed to have these chips before long. The story is that they don't have them yet but I'm not positive about that. Again, please keep in mind that since these have not been binned and tested, there will be no guarantee that they will perform like VX even if they have the right chip.

But then again, as cheap as they are, especially the 256 sticks, you can afford to play with them and not break the bank.

So far these ICs have been found in the TwinMOS and if that picture is right, in the Kingston VR. Per that linked news release, Winbond initially was making them for Infineon. Anybody seen Infineons with the right markings?

A couple of months ago I remember reading where some guy was posting about getting some Infineons that ran real good with tight timings and I blew that off as a freak set of sticks...now I wonder? I've been trying to find that post but it could have been anywhere, including something that popped up in a google search. I sure wish I had bookmarked it.

Last edited:
You guys talk about going to bb and going thru the ram. What do you look for? All I can see on the sticks is the dopey label. How do you tell what chips? Do you have to remove the ram from the security casing or what? I'm very interested in this.

saltytheseagull said:
You guys talk about going to bb and going thru the ram. What do you look for? All I can see on the sticks is the dopey label. How do you tell what chips? Do you have to remove the ram from the security casing or what? I'm very interested in this.

I think that Kingston is starting to catch on that people are looking at the chips (I'm just kidding, like they really care about the few of us with any interest in the chips...heck even the salespeople at BB or CC don't know why I look at chips). It used to be that the labels only covered one of the chips and you could see the markings on the others, now they are starting to put longer labels across multiple chips, the ones that you can see through the box "window" so it is getting harder to pick out the chips. I have not found a pattern yet as to why some boxes have chips visible and others don't...all you can do is go to your local stores and see what is visible.

Good luck and good hunting.

Diablo23RD said:
Try to get 2 sticks but Newegg have one left, did not let me order 2! :(

256 or 512? The 256 showed out of stock for about 10 minutes earlier this afternoon but now shows stock again. The 512 has sold out, I think. The good news is that any restock could very well be the newer modules with the UTT chip. Some of the guys at XS are saying the UTT just stands for "UnTesTed"...makes sense to me.

by the way...sorry about all the multiple posts

Ok, but this stuff is better than CH5 and BH5. 265 at 3.5v isn't too easy to achieve with BH5. Usually you need to be pushing 3.7-3.8v to make that happen, not always, but a lot of the time, yes. And I don't know how this Twinmos stuff does, but VX is just plain useless without 3.2v, whereas BH5 still can reach mid 220's with low voltage. This stuff looks similar to BH5, but not quite. Better and worse at the same time if you will, and too consistent to be "untested."

You are right about better and worse at the same time. Without feeding it add'l voltage (in LARGE amounts) it is pretty much what its sold as...value ram.

But with extra juice....look out 'cause here it comes!

For everyone that kept thinking this stuff had Winbond written all over it, pat yourself of the back.

I really want some of that. I can't wait to hear the results from the 512 sticks. I just hope the batches don't chang so we get the crap. LOL.

Man, the TwinMOS with the Winbond UTT chips are doing fantastic so far.

Hipro5 was hitting 265 with 2-2-2-5 timings on an Intel rig. That is far friendlier with Intel than most of the VX has been.

If you want to get caught up, go to the XS thread posted above. Over at XS it will be the one with TwimMOS in the title, found in the Extreme Bandwidth section (new memory section).

How I want one of those Maximizers now!

Last edited:
LOOK!
I got one OCZ Value series PC2700 2.5 3 3 7 and look how it go.
ocz%20VX3.JPG

250FSB Vdim 3.6V 2 2 2 6.

I ran 3Dmark03 and passed. I have not run memtest but I will try later!

OCZ might use this chip for VX verson???

Diablo23RD said:
LOOK!
I got one OCZ Value series PC2700 2.5 3 3 7 and look how it go.
ocz%20VX3.JPG

250FSB Vdim 3.6V 2 2 2 6.

I ran 3Dmark03 and passed. I have not run memtest but I will try later!

OCZ might use this chip for VX verson???

Truly gives the name "Value Series" a whole new meaning.

Those M.tec chips are proving to be quite the surprise performer. Give OCZ kudos for the vision to test them and bringing them to everyones attention...even if they did not intend for everyone to find out just right away. Heck, they kept their secret for a month or so. More than I thought they would.

My CPU hit the wall now, I cant pass over 255FSB. At 3.6V it run cool to touch. I got it at Fry's. Here what I have on the chip:

M.tec
04304 -50
TTD7608F8E60D

winbondutt_twinmos_chip_bigl.jpg

As the pics of the IC is different on the date.

I am not sure you can get it from Fry's. But look at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=20-218-058&depa=1
and
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=20-218-060&depa=1
Look like they have same chip with what I have. But the PC2700 verson have not using Powerbrain PC board, the PC3200 ver does. I ordered 2 off Newegg and i will let you know the result.

I think Newegg will out of these stick soon! Good luck to all!

Guys, this is really important!

The TwinMOS 256 sticks, both the PC2700 and the PC3200 have Winbond UTT chips that can be seen to have the circular "dimples" in the middle of the chip, as well as the small hole in the lower corner. These chips (TwinMOS or M.tec) carry the TwinMOS part # that ends in AA"4"T, the ones that have just the small hole and not the circular dimples have a part number that ends in AA"D"T, note the 4 vs the D. That is critical. Last time I checked, the only modules with the correct chips are the PC2700 in 256 density. There is a thread over at XS that discusses this (I linked it in the first page of this thead). Newegg should be restocking the PC3200 Speed Premiums in both 256 and 512 modules. These are the ones that have the BP PCB also. Note that the 256 had the correct chips, but the 512 did not in the old stock. We are waiting for the new supply to see if they have the Winbond chip. It is the Winbond chip that is overclocking like crazy when fed extra voltage. Without this extra voltage they are simply "value ram" and will not run 2-2-2-x at any speed.

Just be careful when you order and look at that parts #. Again, you want it to end in AA4T.

Well this thread is going in the RIGHT direction! I like this Reefa.

So let's sum up what we know here:
TwinMOS Speed Premiums 3200 are holding the golden chips in the 256mb modules and so does the regualr TwinMOS PC2700?

Am I right?
Suma.

According to the thread over at XS, all new stock of the PC3200 Speed Premium (256 & 512 sticks) will also have the Winbond UTT chips and BP PCB. That would make these the sticks to get. You have to be sure it is new stock. Older stock has the AADT chips. One of the guys over there, trans am, has been on the phone with just about every memory maker getting the scoop on their value ram. He has done a sheetload of work on this. Very deserving of everyone's gratitude.

With respect to all others (non Speed Premium) I would say that you either do a visual for the Winbond chip or if not possible, confirm that the part # is the AA4T otherwise you will be sorry. Several more posts at XS of guys that bought AADT and have not had good results.

We will know about KVR after Diablo gets a chance to test the stick he found.

Right now the only sticks that I can direct anyone to are the 256MB OEM TwinMOS PC2700 which are selling for $32, plus shipping, for a total of just under $37.

Not bad for 255-270 or so at 2-2-2-x, I would say.

Back