• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What chips do OCZ VX series use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Suma said:
What about these guys?
TwinMos_Speed_Premium.jpg

I can find these babies locally.
Suma.

NO! Not these, but newer stock should be the right stuff.

Note that the two critical components are missing.

1) Physical markings - the two well known Winbond circular dimples are not on these chips.

2) Parts number ends in AADT - this is the wrong part. You want them to end in AA4T. The 4 is what you are looking for.

This stick has both of the components...the markings and the correct product code (AA4T). This code is very important...it has been confirmed as well as this type of thing can be.

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=20-218-057-03.jpg/20-218-057-02.jpg

Attachments

• TwinMOS_256_Winbond_UTT_small.jpg
    TwinMOS_256_Winbond_UTT_small.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Most of KVR 512MB at Fry's are Winbond chip, it just like Winbond. Fry's sell these stick for cheap, $79 - $25 rebate :D. If you get the one not Winbond just go back and return and re buy another. I am forsure Fry's at Dallas have 90% is Winbond chips. I got one right now but I can test it late tonight! Let ya know the KVR going!

A new shipment of Speed Premiums (256 & 512) is expected any day now and these will hopefully have the Winbond UTT chips.

Wait for the good stuff or you will be disappointed.

Right now the only sticks that I can direct anyone to are the 256MB OEM TwinMOS PC2700 which are selling for $32, plus shipping, for a total of just under $37.

Not bad for 255-270 or so at 2-2-2-x, I would say.

Not bad at all!

This is most excellent news, the future for improved and easy to get low-latency DDR memory is looking very promising for us all :).

Thanks for sharing this information Reefa :)

Happy to have been able to share it. This group of guys are among the best I've seen at helping each other out.

The real credit goes to the guys over at XS and at one of the German sites which was either the first or among the first to get wind of the M.tec chips. They've done the leg work...I'm just the messenger.

By the way, if anyone needs some cooling ideas for your ram here is a link to a site with some pictures that might inspire some ideas. A friend of mine sent me this info today. It worked pretty good on some PC2700.

http://www.kaltmacher.de/viewtopic.php?t=32848&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Good news guys! The Kingston KVR I got at Fry's have Winbond chips, It just like the M.tec chips. I dont have the cammera to take a shot of it! How nice for the price $55 after rebate?

KingstonKVR.JPG

255 is my CPU limit not the ram, I think this chips can go higher than that, and it can run cas 3.

Fry's limit one per customer. LOL.
If someone dont have Fry's around PM, I will help you get some :)

Diablo23RD said:
Good news guys! The Kingston KVR I got at Fry's have Winbond chips, It just like the M.tec chips. I dont have the cammera to take a shot of it! How nice for the price $55 after rebate?

KingstonKVR.JPG

255 is my CPU limit not the ram, I think this chips can go higher than that, and it can run cas 3.

Fry's limit one per customer. LOL.
If someone dont have Fry's around PM, I will help you get some :)

Diablo,

Excellent find!

Do these chips have the Kingston label, but with the dimples and the little hole in the corner...same as the M.tec?

Also, how many solder "legs" do the ICs have? When Kingston relabeled Winbond chips last time they only had 54 legs (27 on each side) instead of the normal 66 legs (33 on each side) like the M.tec has (just count the little solder points where the IC is connected to the PCB).

I found a set of KVR that only has the 54 legs, but with a current (mid 2004) production date, so I don't know if these are the good ones or not. They were not on sale so they were very expensive for a 2x256 set ($175 after tax at CC). I will probably return them now that there are some other known sources but I just want to know if they are the right ones or not...they have the dimples and the hole in the corner, but are Kingston branded.

Any help would be appreciated.

And look for a new PM from me (yes, another one).

added:

One last thing, just to clarify. Did you buy and test a KVR module, or did you just compare the chips and see that they are the same?

I ask because both the TwinMOS Speed Premiums and the OCZ that you bought and tested use the BrainPower PCB, the KVR does not to the best of my knowledge, so I just want to be sure that they are actually performing as well as the M.tec based TwinMOS.

Last edited:
Reefa_Madness said:
Diablo,

Excellent find!

Do these chips have the Kingston label, but with the dimples and the little hole in the corner...same as the M.tec?

Also, how many solder "legs" do the ICs have? When Kingston relabeled Winbond chips last time they only had 54 legs (27 on each side) instead of the normal 66 legs (33 on each side) like the M.tec has (just count the little solder points where the IC is connected to the PCB).

I found a set of KVR that only has the 54 legs, but with a current (mid 2004) production date, so I don't know if these are the good ones or not. They were not on sale so they were very expensive for a 2x256 set ($175 after tax at CC). I will probably return them now that there are some other known sources but I just want to know if they are the right ones or not...they have the dimples and the hole in the corner, but are Kingston branded.

Any help would be appreciated.

And look for a new PM from me (yes, another one).

added:

One last thing, just to clarify. Did you buy and test a KVR module, or did you just compare the chips and see that they are the same?

I ask because both the TwinMOS Speed Premiums and the OCZ that you bought and tested use the BrainPower PCB, the KVR does not to the best of my knowledge, so I just want to be sure that they are actually performing as well as the M.tec based TwinMOS.
The chip on the KVR have just the same as the M.tec, size, 2 white points in the end, 2 dimples, same lenght, and a usual KVR board:D not PB board.
I will take a pics when I get camera.

Going by the numbers alone, can you tell if any of the following are the chips you are talking about? I could swear I saw a picture on here with one of these numbers on it.

Kingston Memory KVR400X64C3A/256 256MB PC3200 DDR DIMM 400MHz KVR400X64C3A/256
Kingston Memory KVR400X72C3A/256 256MB PC3200 DDR ECC SDRAM 400MHz KVR400X72C3A/256
Kingston Memory KVR400X64C3AK2/256 2PCS 128MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 400MHz KVR400X64C3AK2/256
Kingston Memory KVR400X64C25/256 256MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 400MHz KVR400X64C25/256
Kingston Memory KHX3200A/256 256MB PC3200 DDR DIMM 400MHz KHX3200A/256
Kingston Memory KVR400X64C3/256 256MB PC3200 DDR DIMM 400MHz KVR400X64C3/256
Kingston Memory KHX3200/256 256MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 2.6V 400MHz KHX3200/256
Kingston Memory KVR400X64C3AK2/512 2PCS 256MB PC3200 DDR DIMM 400MHz KVR400X64C3AK2/512
Kingston Memory KHX3200AK2/512 512MB PC3200A DDR 400MHz Kit KHX3200AK2/512

The place I go to has a good stock of the first item in the list.

Tell me which of these is the best, and I'll buy a stick, take a picture, and post it here.

This KVR just showing KVR400/512R on the sticker.

Look at the bottom of the box you will see the label, Kingstin rate it at CL3

ForForToo said:
Diablo take a look at my list please. Anything look good?
"Kingston Memory KHX3200/256 256MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 2.6V 400MHz KHX3200/256" ----> But this is 256, I am not sure.
"Kingston Memory KHX3200AK2/512 512MB PC3200A DDR 400MHz Kit KHX3200AK2/512" ---->Yes, if it a new shipment in last 2 weeks.

Reefa, how did the Kingston ValueRAM work out? Did you test it? I just found a GREAT source, with plenty of stock. Please tell me if these are the right ones.

Back