• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What computer *don't* the competitors have?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sure, if everything works, I'll run whatever tests people want. :)

Could even do an article. Watch IOMeter blow up the SCSI controller.

you are talking something completely different here due to the age of the hard drive involved let alone the rest of the system. personally, i don't waste my time 'optimizing' windows installs because i don't do them very often so that extra 10 minutes i may spend on the occasional install isn't worth my time in optimizations. i suppose it would be a completely different story if i reinstalled frequently though...

thiddy: once you get win2k installed, i'd like to see some atto benchmarks on that old hdd. should be interesting ;)

He's talking about stripped OS.

For benchers it makes a big difference not having to spend 3hrs to install an OS when you can do it in 10mins instead. Esp if you do it once a month or more.

I wish this booted in 10 minutes, let alone install the operating system. ;__;

I should show a video of this thing posting. It is horrendous.

He's talking about stripped OS.

For benchers it makes a big difference not having to spend 3hrs to install an OS when you can do it in 10mins instead. Esp if you do it once a month or more.

sorry, forgot what subforum i was in...

if i reinstalled that often, i'd be doing some crazy optimizations and then imaging. maybe someday when i get some free time and money i will get back into benchmarking. been quite a few years since i have really done any benching...

It just locked up at 61%. No drive activity and no processor usage.

:fight:

False alarm, it continued. >__>

I almost restarted it.

I think its weird more imaging isn't done here actually. A lot of stripped OS usage, but imaging cuts the process down to a simple file copy which seems better. Guess that is pretty hardware specific though, whereas a fresh install that is fast is good for any board you are benching that particular day.

Posting to subscribe to this. Cool stuff Thid, that monster is heavy. Hope you get windows running. :)

It just locked up at 61%. No drive activity and no processor usage.

:fight:

have you done any sort of integrity test on the hdd?

8800gts = tons of points

You can bench now ;)

i am so far out of the benchmarking game that i don't think i have competitively ran a benchmark since 3dmark03 when it was the most recent benchmark :eek:

lol

This is brutal, it's like a marathon!
At least it isn't on 176 1.44mb floppies.

I change hardware too often, plus it's far easier to simply reinstall every 30 days or so then it is to call microsoft and explain why you need yet another validation for the same poor tired key you bought.

That may have been faster, actually.

I also forgot that I left a PCI USB card in, which may have stopped it from getting into the operating system. I think that may also be slowing down the install, because it didn't take this long yesterday. I have half a mind to cut the power and have it start over. The other half doesn't want this to take until 3am. 66%. If I could set up a webcam, I'd do it.

lol
That'd be a glorious livestream, truly.
Go grab a camera, the box isn't going anywhere! Not without a forklift at least.

Well, the issue isn't the camera. I got one of those.

The issue is I'm running Linux on all my computers.

Nice dude, glad to hear this beast didn't get chucked into a dumpster during the move! And LOL that I'm watching the W2K install live haha.

My IBM netfinity (Quad P-Pro 200, 256 MB RAM, dual single width 9 GB SCSI) dog house sized machine took the 2k server install pretty quick. Hopefully you don't have a problem. Hell, I even ran it as a main system for a while. Mozilla browser, pidgin, winamp or windows media player... spread across four 200 MHz CPUs not too shabby at all. That thing has been sitting in a barn for almost two years now, probably around the last time I talked to ya on MSN.

As for the 16 color thing, maybe you're lacking drivers? For 96 - 97 you ought to get at LEAST 256 color or 16 bit... I'd hope. IMO, NT4 server /w all drivers would be sweet. Too bad theres no MS-DOS based SMP OSes... I'd be all over that.

Anyway, now you know how I feel when a 25 floppy install of windows 95 fails three times mid way on a 486 box :bang head

Finishing up the install. Server is going to restart in a few minutes.

From the time you power the system on to the time it passes it off to the operating system is 3 minutes and 25 seconds.

IT LIVES! Loading the "first time" configuration right now. Might be here until morning.

Back