• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What cpu fan it is?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siweq86

Registered
Hi, sorry for noob question.
I have to exchange battery in motherboard and it seems that it's placed below cpu fan so i have to remove cpu fan first, but it's old and i don't know what cpu fan it is. I can't find and information on my e-mail about history of this fan :( I don't see any labels on it.
I need to find out instruction how to install it again after putting new battery. That's why i need name.

View attachment 211152
View attachment 211153

Remove the fan first. There should be a sticker on the hub of the fan on the reverse side pictured. Replace the fan in the reverse order of events as removing it.

Partially that's why i'm looking for instruction :) I don't even know how to remove it and i'm afraid of removing without knowing how to put it back

Last edited:
Looks like you will have to remove one stick of ram in order to remove the heatsink. I have edited and attached your pictures to this post. The yellow arrows point to the ram stick that may need to be removed and the red circles are likely where the tabs you will press to remove the clip. Usually you press down on the clip and then push towards the heatsink to unhook them. You will need to play around a bit.

BUT FIRST. if you remove the heatsink you will have to clean the old thermal paste/pad and reapply. Do you have thermal paste to reapply?

EDIT: I have attached a picture of a similar mechanism that your heatsink may use.

EDIT #2 I have reattached the picture with some motion arrows. Press down and in.

Last edited:
No, i wanted to do that without paste for now unless i will be able to buy one tomorrow.
My PC is going crazy. After few hours all processes freeze one by one and i have to make a hard boot.
So i have to do that as fast as i can before i lose access to web.
I read that i should put on new paste but it isn't necessary.

No, i wanted to do that without paste for now unless i will be able to buy one tomorrow.
My PC is going crazy. After few hours all processes freeze one by one and i have to make a hard boot.

That is not a battery issue. The CMOS battery when dead will usually create an error on boot up and possible always cause the date and BIOS settings to reset. Your CMOS battery is located under the graphics card not CPU heatsink. I have attached a picture.

EDIT: Is your PC overheating? Do you have any CPU temp monitoring programs installed?

Thanks! Still have to clean fan :)
I have to exchange battery nonetheless because it works only ~3 days. Then i have to remove jumper.
But this weird freezes started today and i have no idea what other reason of that could be. It's unusual freeze because processes are freezing one by one f.e. first audio in game, then video on 2nd monitor, then 2nd browser, then audio on 2nd monitor, then all windows processes so i couldn't even restart and at last game application just like it had highest priority in this moment so it went down last.

Edit:
No, it's not overheating. While gaming it's lower then 70 Celsius degrees. I have CPU-Z, GPU Temp and Core temp :) While not working on PC temp is around 50.

I wonder if you have a component dying. Can you run a memory testing program?

I just ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and no errors

Edit:
I also ran Cinebench test and got results similar as usual.

Last edited:
Is this a problem that you can recreate? Like playing an game on one monitor while watching a video on another monitor or is it something that occurs randomly?

It happened twice today, about 4-5 hours after PC starts/restarts. Actually i was waiting to see if it will happen for the third time but i had to reset to run ram test :)
I don't think running monitor + game was a reason here as it happened after ~1 hour since i started game and i always have some video/stream on 2nd monitor and never had this problem before.
I'll see tomorrow if it will happen again.
Btw. this conditions were already recreated after last freeze and everything was working fine.
When it happened for the first time it was wierdest cause i had to make hard reset and after that PC froze during BIOS starting screen (the one when u can press DEL to run setup) so i was forced to make hard reset. PC froze again during BIOS starting screen. Then i turned off PC, turned on after 10 seconds and after that everything worked correctly.

Try running Prime95 for CPU stress test, Furmark or similar for GPU stress test and memtest for memory stress test. Something isn't right in your system. It could be some software/driver or even something added to the system recently too.

so i ran Prime95 for 2,5h. I read that whole test should take 24h, can't do that right now. All tests passed. Results: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s0uJ_5Bg3FfbcY9JdMIVU5d90QpEVszI/view?usp=sharing

Memtest took slightly over 2 hours. Results: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wY_fxtSuS_8c3laYypejqvsPpH1oRV_O/view?usp=sharing

Furmark results: https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=119869. I ran stress test. I read that 30 minutes should be ok. Ran it for 35 minutes. Max temp was 74 and didn't change for over 20 minutes so i stopped that but didn't got any resuts in log file. No errors or crashes.

Need some clarification here, siweq86. You ask about how to "remove the fan". But in other places you seem to be talking about the fan and the heat sink it is attached to, i.e, the thing with metal fins and copper pipe tips protruding from the top. Do you want to remove just the fan or the fan and the heat sink?

Having asked that, I wonder if that's really your problem. I would be looking at a failing PSU from the restarting behavior you describe.

Hey trents. For now i don't actually need to remove the fan anymore. I thought that my motherboard battery is placed under fan, but it's under gpu card as stompah noticed :)
Most funny is that i was checing my motherboard manual week ago and i read that battery should be under gpu card, but somehow my mind processed this information wrongly and for the whole week i was 100% sure that it's placed under fan. Never trust your mind.

Edit: currently i'll be waiting for few hours to see if freezing will happen again.
Edit 2: Interesting thing i didn't mention again. Game i was playing was Hearthstone and match in this game take sometimes 10-15 minutes. First thing that went down was Hearthstone audio, but after all other processes failed i was still able to finish my Hearthstone game for few minutes without any problems! Once i finished my match Hearthstone also froze.

Last edited:
Very rarely the mobo's Cmos battery is anywheres near the Cpu socket. I've seen them near or around the cpu socket, but we're talking about really old mobos. 99.99% of the time they're near the PCIE slot or below near the bottom edge of the board.

Also take a can of compressed air to that fan and mobo. Looks pretty dusty!

siweq86, nonetheless, it looks like your computer is filled with dust and you would do well to use compressed air to clean it, especially the CPU fan and heat sink.

And if you did nothing to actually correct your restarting issues, rest assured, they will come back.

If your gaming temp is 70C, that is already really close to the limit of that CPU. idling at ~50C is too high. Remount and repaste that CPU cooler if cleaning it out doesn't help. That is dusty.

That said, I don't know if that is your issue, but as mentioned earlier, that isn't a CMOS battery symptom.

If you remove the heat sink from the CPU it is absolutely an imperative to redo the thermal paste!

Back