• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What else do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrEd

Registered
My current build is noted in my signature below. I have an order for parts coming in for a new MB, (Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0) and cooler, (Cooler Master 212 EVO). My goal is to overclock conservatively at about 4.3ghz to 4.5ghz. (Big OC numbers and newer parts can wait till later :D) Since I am new to overclocking and building from scratch, I thought I would stick my toe in and test the waters. While I have replaced most other components in a system, I have never done a MB or CPU or messed with BIOS.

• My thought is too install without overclocking first
  • Can I just assemble the parts and boot up?
  • Or do I need to do somethng else?
  • Then after getting my rig up and running again, mess with the overclocking

Trying to think thru my list of...

...what ifs.

Unsure of what ram you have. It seems like a single 8gig stick of ram by Adata. I have used multiple kits of this 2x4G kits with absolutely zero problems. Cas 9 and a good price right now. And NO heatspreaders sticking up in the way of an air cooler on the cpu.
$53.99
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

I would likely consider another fan like the one on the CM 212 EVO so you can run in push/pull mode for greater airflow thru the cooler fins. Of course you can try it with the single fan to begin with but you have been put on notice as it were. Speaking to that 4.3 to 4.5GHz range since I do believe it will be easier with the added cooling of push/pull fans.

Something like this may be helpful for cooling the VRMs if the CM 212 EVO does not hinder such use.

Antec SpotCool System Cooler

You are using an air cooler so the above may not be needed but letting you know in advance. I will also link a couple of pictures below of other methods that have been used.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have tried to picture what I likely would have on 'my' shopping list based on having done such so many times. I do try and be prepared but there is nothing to say you cannot do it in steps after you get up and running and we get some feedback from you.

Before I forget just a word of information...make sure that there is not a piece of clear plastic on the Cpu cooler that would need to be removed from the area that sits down on the cpu and would be like an insulator if let there.

That is about all I can think of currently. Oh yes something else. Did you get a 'regular' windows installation DVD with your original computer? I ask because it is possible that the 'new' mobo may not be at first liked by a PRE-installed operating system. Since I don't think your original mobo still works...might throw a curve at you when the previous hard drive is hooked up to a new mobo. Don't know for sure what you will experience but now you are aware that there 'might' be an issue. I often can swap PRE-install operating systems and get the rig to boot and remove all old drivers and then install the ones made for the mobo I did install.

Only other thing that has come to mind now is the Mode of the HDDs and they should likely be Sata mode with AHCI setting. I think the new Asus mobos do that 'now' by default but should check it first. I would think even an OEM configurator would have it set to AHCI and if the mode in which windows was installed does n0t match the mobo setting it certainly will not boot to windows.

Booting hard drive should be on Sata port #1 and any Optical drives should be attached to Sata port #5 or #6.

Dang am I thru remembering what-ifs? Think so this time. Good luck MrEd.

RGone...

PS:
Okay I did remember one more thing. I know you said get running and then return to Overclocking and that is always the recommended procedure in that you get stock assured stability and then overclock. So the added VRM cooling might not be necessary certainly at initial assembly.

Might Suggest to have some extra Thermal compound on hand encase you get a bad mount on your cooler or have to redo the mount for some reason. Arctic Silver 5, Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-2, Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4 all three of these are cheap and decent products. Besides that RGone has covered it all.

RAM is 2X4 1600 ADATA DIMM (8GIGs)

I do have a regular reinstallation disk of WIN 8.1

I bought a tube of thermal compound

Parts should be in at the end of this week or so. I will get it up and running and see what happens. I will keep you posted as I go......:)

I was wondering if I was going to have to do something with the BIOS to get it booted. I looked up WIN 8.1 "how to get to BIOS", WOW Looks like a zoo. I can't even get there right now because my computer won't stay on long enough. So much for microsoft making things easier...... :shock:

with the complete change of motherboard you will be doing a fresh install of the os.
you can try uninstalling all the gigabyte drivers and software before pulling the gigabyte board and installing the new stuff, success has been reported doing this, only having to reactivate the os.
the fans that matter the most to add are the ones that will add airflow over the heatsinks, see the fans stuck to the sinks in post #2, pic #1

MrEd no longer has any form of his original computer, that will boot. The power supply blew up and took out the motherboard. He has already replaced the power supply only to find out the mobo was dead as well.

He has some new parts coming and was asking if he needed any parts beyond those ordered. Waiting on parts. No original computer to boot up. So we all wait too. Hehehe.

RGone...ster.

MrEd no longer has any form of his original computer, that will boot. The power supply blew up and took out the motherboard. He has already replaced the power supply only to find out the mobo was dead as well.

He has some new parts coming and was asking if he needed any parts beyond those ordered. Waiting on parts. No original computer to boot up. So we all wait too. Hehehe.

RGone...ster.

Ah, the whole "get to the BIOS" part threw me for a loop then, whoops!

Thanks ATMinside. That actually helps for the future for me. As for now, I can run my computer for about 3-5 mins before it shuts itself down. But I was wondering about BIOS in case I need to get to it. Never know unplugging the HDD would take me there, that is easy. Have you read what you are supposed to do to get to BIOS in WIN 8.1? It is insane, this will make it much easier.

Parts shipped and should be here Friday. I will rebuild with the now MOBO and cooler and see if I can get things running again.

I don't know how Gigabyte works it but the DEL key still works for me with 8.1 on my Sabertooth

Thanks ATMinside. That actually helps for the future for me. As for now, I can run my computer for about 3-5 mins before it shuts itself down. But I was wondering about BIOS in case I need to get to it. Never know unplugging the HDD would take me there, that is easy. Have you read what you are supposed to do to get to BIOS in WIN 8.1? It is insane, this will make it much easier.

Parts shipped and should be here Friday. I will rebuild with the now MOBO and cooler and see if I can get things running again.

Yeah, it's easy enough to me. I'd rather do it in the OS than try to unplug my SSD (I have an mITX case).

I don't know how Gigabyte works it but the DEL key still works for me with 8.1 on my Sabertooth

That depends if you did an MBR or UEFI install. If you did a UEFI install that method would most likely stop working.

I still use MBR, guess that's why I haven't noticed.

Back