• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What got you into overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now I do it because I'm here. Then (1997ish) I did it because I found it intriguing that you can get more performance for the same dollar

I had a 3400+ and was gaming back then but was falling behind so I started boosting it up.

Then I needed some advice for settings on a motherboard and a google search led me here where Xoke had me start pushing up that system. After that it was BOBNOVA's fault (non of my own doing) he said I should start benching, What could I do :shrug: the force is strong with that one.

What got me into overclocking...
Was watching a guy changing out a clock crystal.

Ahh, the good old days. Do you remember the Z80 chips we replaced intel 8088s with? Things have certainly changed!

Been away from OCing since the late 1980's due to family and other interests. Now I'm retired and I got back into it recently (last month) for fun. It's something I enjoy and a way to feed my competetive nature that doesn't involve racing and sometimes crashing motorcycles at high speed.

Just cos I've always (Til now) had a slower machine than a lot of my friends and such. I was running a 3500+ single core and decided to try to push it.. To no avail. I quickly learned budget motherboards suck at OC'ing :p. And still didn't learn from this. My motherboard on my X3 720 also sucks at OC'ing, but meh. I just like seeing high numbers in benchs and whatever these days :p. It's not like my i7 is going to be slow at stock, and realistically I won't notice any real-world difference except in a minority of games with it at stock compared to OC.

Still... Having it stable at 4ghz constantly just makes me feel as if the machine is more solid and I'm truly getting what I paid for! :p

I came for the overclocking... I stayed for the folding :salute:

Like most people here, I was born into computers. :comp: It's what I know and it's what I work best with. :fight: I have as great a passion for software as I do hardware. My whole life I wanted to build an awesome rig that was worth pushing past factory defined limits and I was finally able to do that late 2010. I saved up for 6 months and put together the build you can now see in my signature. It's not top of the line but it ain't no P4 either. :thup:

I <3 OC.com :grouphug:

Hmmm my dad started it with me back in the Citrix processors and early Pentiums.

Really started myself in the Celeron days from the 300Mhz and the 533/566Mhz ones to 850 (can't remember which ones). That started it and college is when it took off when I had income, I was out of the house at school.

Why? Why Not? Really getting a cheaper chip, sure might spend more on better motherboard with good features or better ram, but in the end your getting a product that is faster than any retail item on the market typically for fractions of the price. Pretty hard to look at that and go, yup my $200 chip outperforms a $1000 chip.. really why wouldn't you?

Go go OCing!

I never thought this but, why? uhmm I hear the term on the Internet and takes my attention for a while.

I'm new on this, but working hard to learn more and do it better. I start with an X4 955 C2 hitting 4GHz for validation only. After that start with the GPU too, always with fear to kill components.

Why I'm do it? It's like an addiction, I paid $200 for my CPU and gives battle to some good Intel CPUs. Free performance for same price, everybody want something free, no?

I was on a deployment in the Navy and decided to build a rig for the first time. I utilized these forums quite a bit for HW advice, and as I was perusing the threads I realized that there's no reason NOT to get a little bit extra out of what you're paying for. So I went for it, and I will probably never NOT overclock for as long as I own a computer. In fact, now that I have my i5 2500k, AND finally have everything assembled and have my Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, I'm about to delve into the depths of SB OC!

My love for electronics has always been there I was (like most people on here) the kid who took things apart to see what made them tick, how they worked. That eventually lead to video games which later at age 7 lead to computers.

Around age 12 my family got a old Pentium II which ran at like 800Mhz or something I don't remember anymore. We got 56k internet and I began google searching and found out there was way to manipulate your pc to go faster for free. Even though I now knew about over clocking it actually took me till age 16-17 to try it and not till last year did I actually LEARN how to do it.

When I saw the results of all my number crunching and head aches of restart, restart again, crash... pull battery, etc. I was hooked. The numbers are what does it for me, seeing all my hard work pay off in an easy to see way.

Back in the 80's, I started learning mostly basic software, then around '91 I had the option to buy an AT PC. Never being satisfied, I added HD space and did my own repairs. Trying to solve a particular problem led me here somewhere around '97-'98, and I got hooked after reading what was potential for the gear at the time. I've spent years and a lot of money doing this stuff, without regret.

simming

Simming -- FSX and Railworks2 -- and also COD.

My dual-boot 2008 Mac Pro, though heavily beefed up with memory, fast drives and a GTX285, just doesn't cut it for graphic-intensive sims. I checked out custom rig-building sites and was totally floored at the prices, so I decided to dive in and build my own. Just finished spec'ing it, and will probably start ordering components in a few days.
not having a girlfriend.
What he said. Most definitely this was also a big contributor. :-/

- Jev

Last edited:
more speed for less money. at first it was a pittiance, and a well tuned OS itself had more value. then seeing the leeway that the intel duo stuff had I was back to do it again, and wow!
also that "next from the best" processor at the time, often had the possibility for "as good as" with a $100 savings.

i originally came here because my geforce 4 ti 4400 was artifacting pretty badly and was looking for assistance. after reading up a bit, i became more interested in pushing my system as hard as i could.

...i then killed that 4400 :D

When I had ~11 yo and I had my 1st 386SX pc I was really curious how turbo button is working. There was switch 16 -> 33MHz ... 2 or 3 years later I found description of jumpers in manual and I made it work @40MHz :D ... maybe 1 year later I burned my 1st gfx , S3 Trio 1MB and then I learned that too high pci frequency is bad for other devices ;) ... and I had no pc for some months ...

I'm re-new at OCing. Years ago I had a Cyrix CPU, a 286 if my memory is good, on a MB that had 44 jumpers to set for various tasks. I'd heat that chip till BSOD in DOS. I blew up that chip. But not the MB. Prior to that I'd built a couple of really fun but under-performing rigs that I didn't know could be OC'd. Over the years I did some light OCs on every system I built as I couldn't afford to keep blowing up chips while trying to feed the family. Daughter married in April this year, all paid for TYVM, and now, finally, it looks like some well neglected hobby time/money is coming back to roost. Let the adventure begin.

My 3800+ was getting old and useless for modern games. Even with a X1950 it wasnt cutting it back in 2008. I started looking into how to improve the system performance. Managed to get it to about 2.3 (stock 2.0) It helped enough that i kept the processor and the mobo. Killed that graphics card by accident on a gpu overclock. ended up with a hd4850 and c2Q which i wanted to push as much as i could. The Q8200 i got to about 2.9. My 4850 ran WAY too hot to OC so i switched to a gtx460 (stock 725Mhz) which i pushed to 875Mhz, now got my SB system, i want to Push it as far as possible. Now ive started, i cant stop. It IS an addiction.

A desire to have more for less...

The desire continues.... OK, so it costs more to pay less... :)

Back