• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best AMD heatsink for a 92mm fan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I'm looking for a heatsink that fits a 92mm fan for an AMD 2500+.

I love my Thermalright SK-7 so I would like to go with Thermalright again.

They have a few different heatsinks that fit 92mm fans, I dont know which to choose. I would like a fairly quiet setup so I figure a lower rpm 92mm fan would move a good amount of air while not being so loud. But how do these heatsinks do with quiet fans?

So between the:

SP-97
SLK-947U
SLK-900A
SLK-900U

Which is the best?
I notice most bolt onto the motherboard while some (900A) has the clips. Are there any disadvantages to having clips other than the obviouse less support for the heatsink?

If you have any success stories with any of these heatsinks equipped with a quiet 92mm fan please share.

Thanks.

The SP-97 is the best and it is also the most expensive the slk-947U is a very close second and a bit cheaper...the only difference from the sp-97 and the slk-947u is the heat pipes. You shouldn't see much aof a diffrence between the two.

I am currently running the SP-97 with a 92mm tornado running at 2500rpms and my system is cpu temp is currently idleing at 36C...that is also with a fresh application of AS5 so my temps my drop a few degrees yet. Case temp is 23C.

The SP-97 is the best, followed by the SLK-947U, followed by the SLK-900 (either A or U).

The main reason to get a hole-mounting version (if your mobo supports it) is that it provides better support for the HSF (the maximum AMD reccomended Socket A HSF weight is 300 grams, the 900 is 400-somthing). Some people have had their sockets ripped out of their mobos by HSFs that were too heavy, though that's a rare occurance.

The best quiet(er/ish) fans are probably the 92mm Panaflos or the 92mm Enermax adjustable fan. You can try the Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 (92mm) but I found my Smart Fan II (different product) to be much louder than my Panaflos (even with the SFII set to low RPMs).

Ok, I was looking at Panaflo fans and I saw one that was 90mm. Do the Thermalright heatsinks fit 90mm fans, or just 92mm?

They use clips not screws so no issues with it not aligning properly. It will all clip in fine.

All those heatsinks perform farely similarly, if you can go for one with bolt holes. If you don't have the holes on your board you'll still get most of the perfomance with the SLK 900A.

Ok, thanks. I knew it uses clips, but I wasn't sure if the fan would fit correctly on the little steps for different fan sizes.

Looks like I may go with the SP-97 or maybe the 947U...

Back