• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with my setup? *Help*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Give it a shot and see if its stable, no harm in upping the memory speed

Hello guys,

I have another problem... I want to play Watch dogs but it gets roughly 40-50 fps on average on lowest settings 1920x1080. If i look up the benchmarks with an i7 4770k they give 85 on medium settings. I dont really know whatsup.

Hopefully you guys could help me out once again!

Thnx in advance

Hello guys,

I have another problem... I want to play Watch dogs but it gets roughly 40-50 fps on average on lowest settings 1920x1080. If i look up the benchmarks with an i7 4770k they give 85 on medium settings. I dont really know whatsup.

Hopefully you guys could help me out once again!

Thnx in advance

Quite simply put, you're not using a 4770K , the haswell has a much better IPC/IPS than any of the current AMD offerings. I benchmark on both AMD and Intel, Intel alwyas gives the best results in 3D benching. My only suggestion, if you want to get better FPS out of your AMD all you can do is up the core speed.

Watchdogs is likely very poorly optimized. It tends to be this way with almost every big game nowdays because they port them from console versions.
Devs have to tight deadlines to do too much work and then they try to patch it afterward.
Wait couple of months and performance is likely to increase.
To find out if your CPU is really affecting a lot you can try to increase gfx details like post processing/filtering settings and see if it impacts performance.
Most likely this game is just poorly made.

Quite simply put, you're not using a 4770K , the haswell has a much better IPC/IPS than any of the current AMD offerings. I benchmark on both AMD and Intel, Intel alwyas gives the best results in 3D benching. My only suggestion, if you want to get better FPS out of your AMD all you can do is up the core speed.

Didnt really find a stable ghz above 4.3. Might be the max for my cpu-cooler.

Didnt really find a stable ghz above 4.3. Might be the max for my cpu-cooler.

That's quite possible, check your CPU usage while gaming just to see what it's doing It might only use 2 of the 4 cores you have which might open up some room for you. If you disable a couple of cores you could most likely clock it a bit higher.

That's quite possible, check your CPU usage while gaming just to see what it's doing It might only use 2 of the 4 cores you have which might open up some room for you. If you disable a couple of cores you could most likely clock it a bit higher.

Might be an odd question, but why would i disable cores? As i will shut down half of my cpu lol.

Look at it this way, If the game only utilizes 2 of the 4 cores then while you're playing 2 cores are just spinning their wheels and creating heat. If your cooler tops out at 4.3G with x voltage on 4 cores, typically it could clock higher with slightly more voltage and create a similar amout of heat that your cooler can still dissipate. IF you were able to run at say 4.8G with 2 cores you're going to get better throughput and higher FPS since the game only uses 2 cores. You just need to verify that first. It's possible it uses 4 and is just a poorly written port as Waza suggested.

EDIT: Well I looked up WatchDogs and apparently it is a multithreaded game so this won't help you at all.
That's whay the 4770k did so well since it also has hyperthreading. So it's essentially running 8 threads at the same time as opposed to your 4. It also has a high bandwidth L3 Cache whhere the A10 has none. I think you're just going to have to live with it for now and hope that they optimize it bit better.

Last edited:
Look at it this way, If the game only utilizes 2 of the 4 cores then while you're playing 2 cores are just spinning their wheels and creating heat. If your cooler tops out at 4.3G with x voltage on 4 cores, typically it could clock higher with slightly more voltage and create a similar amout of heat that your cooler can still dissipate. IF you were able to run at say 4.8G with 2 cores you're going to get better throughput and higher FPS since the game only uses 2 cores. You just need to verify that first. It's possible it uses 4 and is just a poorly written port as Waza suggested.

EDIT: Well I looked up WatchDogs and apparently it is a multithreaded game so this won't help you at all.
That's whay the 4770k did so well since it also has hyperthreading. So it's essentially running 8 threads at the same time as opposed to your 4. It also has a high bandwidth L3 Cache whhere the A10 has none. I think you're just going to have to live with it for now and hope that they optimize it bit better.

Yea hope so:eek:

Did a little search about Watch Dogs and there is some hoopla over the 14.6 beta druvers for ATI vid cards.
RGone...

Did a little search about Watch Dogs and there is some hoopla over the 14.6 beta druvers for ATI vid cards.
RGone...

Kinda playing with around min 20 avg 35 fps on high textures and ulta settings and anti-alliasing 4x. Lol. Dont really know how this game is optimized.. :x

It's not only CPU utilization that holds most console ports down, most of the time the code is just bloated or buggy or simply written the fastest and most resource consuming way to save costs.
There are thousands of examples of well and badly written code but it is true that unless devs put extra effort into optimization Intel CPUs will be faster.

If you compare watchdogs to GTA4, Wathcdogs world is more detailed/cluttered but GTA4 has better physics modeling and more attention to detail and in no way should watchdogs be more resource intensive on cpu side than GTA4. They both work on PS3 so they both have same hardware limitations. it's simply the quality of the PC port that limits the performance.
GTA4 never has been really great quality port either but it was decent.

It's not only CPU utilization that holds most console ports down, most of the time the code is just bloated or buggy or simply written the fastest and most resource consuming way to save costs.
There are thousands of examples of well and badly written code but it is true that unless devs put extra effort into optimization Intel CPUs will be faster.

If you compare watchdogs to GTA4, Wathcdogs world is more detailed/cluttered but GTA4 has better physics modeling and more attention to detail and in no way should watchdogs be more resource intensive on cpu side than GTA4. They both work on PS3 so they both have same hardware limitations. it's simply the quality of the PC port that limits the performance.
GTA4 never has been really great quality port either but it was decent.

I have been using computers since the late 1980's. I work in printing so we always had Macs. I have never, ever once heard of any OS, any application, any game. Anything for that matter being used as an example of well written software. Everything is bloated, poorly optimized, buggy. Are there any examples of well written code anywhere? AT&T Unix maybe.

I have been using computers since the late 1980's. I work in printing so we always had Macs. I have never, ever once heard of any OS, any application, any game. Anything for that matter being used as an example of well written software. Everything is bloated, poorly optimized, buggy. Are there any examples of well written code anywhere? AT&T Unix maybe.

Well nothing is perfect but as far as comparing relative software performance between A and B you can come to a conclusion which one is better.
With additional features comes more bloated software layers that is a fact.
Being that computers are used for wide variety of tasks at any given day it is impossible to have perfect circumstances for a specific task unless you design all of the hardware and software for that specific task.:blah:

Well BF4 has been optimized for AMD and i can run it on avg 70-75 fps on ultra which looks a little less in comparison to watch dogs graphicwise.

Dear tekfriends,

I bought an 840 evo ssd earlier this week and i dont really know how i can get my os on ssd instead of hdd.

Any help is welcome!

Moving Windows 8.1 from HDD to SSD
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1857326/moving-windows-hdd-ssd.html

That thread was marked as "SOLVED" so the answer was in the thread.
The post by MMGN was marked by the OP as "best solution". He gives short explanation of how he used Easus Partition Manager 9.3 to do the Clone and Move to the SSD.

Note some of the later SSD's have software packed with them to "move" from HDD to SSD and
you could of course try that if it is with the drive. However I have used Easus software before and it is pretty handy and
works in the free version pretty well.
RGone...

Moving Windows 8.1 from HDD to SSD
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1857326/moving-windows-hdd-ssd.html

That thread was marked as "SOLVED" so the answer was in the thread.
The post by MMGN was marked by the OP as "best solution". He gives short explanation of how he used Easus Partition Manager 9.3 to do the Clone and Move to the SSD.

Note some of the later SSD's have software packed with them to "move" from HDD to SSD and
you could of course try that if it is with the drive. However I have used Easus software before and it is pretty handy and
works in the free version pretty well.
RGone...

My ssd has a capicity of 117GB and my hdd has 550gb on it already. So i cant just use the resize option and follow the next step.

Also i have the samsung data migration software from my ssd. Which could help.

Then you'll have to install the OS on the SSD separately, You can still access all of your files on the other drive. I just wouldn't have it connected while doing the new installation. You can't squeeze 550 Gb into a 120 SSD

Back