• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of Airflow do you have in your Case ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of airflow do you have in your case ?

• Positive

Votes: 420 42.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 339 34.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 234 23.6%

• Total voters
i think positive, i've got 1 120mm and 2 80mm going in, 2 80mm plus the PS fan going out... and whatever the NV Silencer is doing =P

~ Gos

I have negative pressure in my case currently, and my plan is to get a new case and set it up with positive pressure with internal fans and baffles to control the airflow.

3 intakes, one on the front, one on the side kinda and one of the top which comes infront of cpu HS. two out the back, 3 out the back, one out of my x1900xtx, one 2x80mm fans right behind the cpu9have a shroud around it. and then one on the side kinda.

DvBoard said:
I have negative pressure in my case currently, and my plan is to get a new case and set it up with positive pressure with internal fans and baffles to control the airflow.
hi'
that's what I did, (see my sig), since I change for a big tower, with 2x120mm one in front one in the back + 1 side 90mm I have a positive
pressure in, and as I can see the 120mm of the cpu cooler, I can say
it's very ok, no dust, less noise ;)
choose a full tower, big size, and then with all this space inside, the air is moving faster and so more efficient, I measure yesterday with a 100% full load, I got 44°c on the cpu and it's an 'old' prescott :)
mobo @ 28°c, and video card not even @ 50°c :)
the side fan is a coolmaster that push 44cfm for a 20db or so ;)
all the others are thermaltake in the case already as the one on the big typhoon, it's as silent as can be and this side fan blows staight on the video card and as well on the cpu, and the rest goes up to the ram, I spent 135€ for this case but no looking back :)

I do think that medium case are too small with the hardware we put inside, especialy with sata hdd's ...
a pic of the case I have in use now:
03enlargedView.jpg

05enlargedView.jpg

04enlargedView.jpg

so, yes change and see ;)

i686

Last edited:
safemode said:
I would really love to know how you guys are changing the pressure of your cases since it's not possible unless it's air tight and you're using a pump. Does nobody know how a fan works? Fans work by creating pressure differences of either side of the fan, the side with the low pressure is the side the air blows towards. Now we all know moving air is slightly lower in pressure than sitting air so if you have a strong current of air in your case then you have slightly lower pressure than the room it's in. But other than that it's not possible for fans to create low or high pressure. Nor does it matter if it's done via intake or exaust fans. Seriously, just stop and think about what you're saying. A fan cannot keep air out of a system nor can it push air into it, it just changes the pressure over the fins of the fan blades to cause the air to move in the desired direction. It cant change the pressure of the things around it.

Now if you are restricting intake then you will strain your exaust fans. The same is true for restricting exaust. But, you cannot restrict this flow by having a weaker fan or less fans on either side. Assuming the case is pretty much sealed except for the fan holes. If you had massive exaust and less so for the intake, then you'd be killing your intake because the exaust fans would be causing a flow of air in the direction the intake fan is trying to blow already. This means there is less resistance for the intake fan to rotate ( moving air == lower pressure) so it spins faster than it should and aids the breakdown of it's berrings. If you must have intake and exaust fans make sure they're far apart and have other openings in the case in places that do not wreck the flow of air you want to relieve strain on either your intake or exaust fans. Having both intake and exaust is actually bad because it's redundent. Only because you dont use ducts and it's hard to direct the air that is brought into the computer do we use intake fans at all. If you're going to use both though make sure you have another area of the case where air can freely enter and contribute to the flow of air you want or you'll just be killing some fans.

ummm in my setup its positive pressure.. i even have a vent on top where a cd spins and hovers when airflow is good... when it's all dusty and airflow sux.. it slow down and doesnt hover well.. all i need to do is clean it and it spins fast again.. and with positive pressure, i dont have to ckean as often... how u explain that??

hrm, after reading more about the whole positive vs negative thing, I think I will rework my case when my CPU comes in so it is very positive idle and somewhat positive under load, I have huge dust problems

Just purchased a Ultra UV Wizard ATX Mid-Tower Case and have a standard 80.mm fan blowing in on the bottom front with a 120.mm fan blowing out the back . My temps are running between 40 & 30 c off the main board and my HDD is running at a 9 c.

newbienerd said:
ummm in my setup its positive pressure.. i even have a vent on top where a cd spins and hovers when airflow is good... when it's all dusty and airflow sux.. it slow down and doesnt hover well.. all i need to do is clean it and it spins fast again.. and with positive pressure, i dont have to ckean as often... how u explain that??
negative!
newbienerd this thread was made back in 02... 4-5 years ago

Negative
I would like to change to passitive, but out of curiosity, would the dust brought in by the intake fans stay inside the case, or they would just follow the airflow in the case, and exit through the exhaust?
Sorry about this if this is a noob question.

andylihaha said:
Negative
I would like to change to passitive, but out of curiosity, would the dust brought in by the intake fans stay inside the case, or they would just follow the airflow in the case, and exit through the exhaust?
Sorry about this if this is a noob question.

IDK, aren't the intake fans usually filtered?

I have 2 "hi flow" 120mm intake, 2 "low flow" 120mm outflow.

Mine is probably only somewhat positive though. There is more restriction on the intake fans than the exhaust fans.

Back