• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of Airflow do you have in your Case ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What kind of airflow do you have in your case ?

• Positive

Votes: 420 42.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 339 34.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 234 23.6%

• Total voters
I am a little negative, I voted neutral because I have 3 intake fans (2 in the front, one on the side) and 3 outflow fans (2 on the back, one on the top) of my aluminum case.. now that I think about it my PSU is blowing out air in the back as well.

Roughly neutral.

2x filtered intake fans, one exhaust fan and the fans exhausting from the PSU.

i voted posative.

intake:
1x92x38
1x120x38

exhaust:
1x80x25 psu fan
1x120x38

its barley posative mabey even nuetral as i have filters on everything.

Negative

exhaust 120mm Tt Thunderblade series
80mm cheapo
PSU 80mm
intake 120mm Tt Thunderblade series
80mm cheapo

The CPU fan doesn't count since it just circulates the air onto the CPU. neither does the one on the VGA

Positive -- more air in, keeps dust out... :p

2 80mm intake (Full Speed):

1 92mm on CPU (Full Speed):

1 80mm exhaust (running @ 7v, or about half speed)
2 80mm exhaust in PSU, but they always run slow cuz they are temp monitored (Ultra X-Connect)

Negative LOL

out all running 700 to 800rpms
120x120 bottom below compressor
120 back of the case.
2 80's on bottom enermax
2 80's on top thermaltake
2 80's on right panel next to MB pulling air off compressor
1 80 top of the case.

in
120 left side panel running at 500rpms (almost never on...the panel)
120 in front of the raptor running at 1,200rpms
120 in front of the vapo. running at 1,2000 to 3,000rpms

Its positive, but since I decided to take the filters off I'll proly change it to neutral. If you don't filter the incoming air it realy doesnt matter...

INTAKE:
120 front
120 front
96 + 96 side

EXHAUST (all on 5 V atm)
------------
120 rear
120 rear up (PSU)
120 up (top blowhole)
----------------------

Two questions. . .

1. How do you check?

2. (Ok, I know this is a stupid one but . . . ) If you have constant positive pressure (more air goes in than comes out) then wouldn't the case eventually explode? . . . Or if you have constant negative pressure (more air comes out than goes in ) then wouldn't the case eventually implode? :eek: . . .

i really dont know. I have a panaflo M1a on my rad in front blowing in, another 120 panaflo blowing out on top along with my PSU's 92 and 80 fans. the front one is restricted by the rad, so by best guess is slightly negative

1x 120mm exhaust
2x 120mm intake
PSU exhaust (80mm)

Front intake is always at full speed, the side intake and rear exhaust are both always moving the same amount of air. PSU is temp. controlled, but never moves as much air as the front intake so i always have positive air flow. Intakes are filtered.

Revivalist said:

1. How do you check?

2. (Ok, I know this is a stupid one but . . . ) If you have constant positive pressure (more air goes in than comes out) then wouldn't the case eventually explode? . . . Or if you have constant negative pressure (more air comes out than goes in ) then wouldn't the case eventually implode? :eek: . . .
I just used common sense to figure that i have positive, becuase all my 120mm fans are the same, they move the same amount of air if they run at the same speed. Otherwise just add up the CFM of intakes and then the CFM of exhausts and compare them. And as for your 2nd question - air will leave\enter through any little gaps in the case, like vent holes ect. so your case wont explode. ;)

Last edited:
Vince1990uk said:
And as for your 2nd question - air will leave\enter through any little gaps in the case, like vent holes ect. so your case wont explode. ;)
Ok, I go it. . .

So not to be too technical, but what we really mean by "the overall air flow of the case" is more accurately, the total air flowing in from the front compared to the total air flowing out from the back. . . . Or would I still include my side panel fan pulling in air as well?

Let's see, in the front I have two 80mm, one 60mm, and three 40mm intake case fans pulling air in. In the back, I have two 80mm exhaust fans and a 80mm PSU fan blowing out. So I guess overall I probably have postive air flow, right?. . . . Especially if you include my 120mm side panel intake fan as well.

Revivalist said:
So not to be too technical, but what we really mean by "the overall air flow of the case" is more accurately, the total air flowing in from the front compared to the total air flowing out from the back. . . . Or would I still include my side panel fan pulling in air as well?
Yes, basically air that is actively (e.g with a fan) being taken in or exhausted. And yes, your set-up looks positive to me, and you would include your side fan. :)

Last edited:
Back