• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of RAM goes with a 3770K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itsumo

Registered
Hi, this is my first post on these forums. I've been planning a new rig -- my first serious build in some years. My last was only okay. This time I am planning to go a pretty big -- all told, $2500 including a 120 MHz monitor. Cost is still a factor, but I plan on getting some really cherry components. (I'm not claiming they are the super ultra best), I have been doing my research though and I like these products and I think they should work well together.

CPU: Intel 3770K (3.5 GHz /3.9GHz)
RAM: Corsair Platinum Dominator DDR3 1600 8GB x2
GPU: One EVGA 2GB DDR5 GTX 680 (wish I could get two - I might)
Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77
Storage: 2 200 GB SSD's (raid 0), and one 2TB 3.5" drive
Cooling: Corsair H100

The RAM is really what I am pondering. I like the fancy corsair RAM, but I could buy much more expensive ram with higher speeds if it was justifiable. My goal is to select a group of components that when put together, can each be used to their potential. (Yes, the ASUS supports much faster than DDR3 1600, I am ok with that) It seems the RAM can be overclocked as well. That leaves the CPU.

The Intel 3770K has an onboard memory controller that runs at up to 1600 MHz. Is that a hard limit, or can the memory controller of the CPU be overclocked as well?

Is it wise to pick RAM that exactly matches the processor's ability to support, in terms of the speed at which is accesses memory? Or should I offset it by the anticipated overclock margin, and then overclock it to match the best the CPU can give me?

If your only concern is real-word performance, then 1600 MHz will be plenty. When it comes to RAM, as long as you have enough or more than what you will be using, then there are really no practical benefits to making it run faster than what the controller supports. I wouldn't recommend you overclock your RAM unless you're just doing it for fun or for benchmarks. I should also mention that you can also tighten your RAM timings in the BIOS to get extra performance (still <1%) while still running at 1600 MHz so you don't have to mess with the BLCK rate on your proc.

You could save yourself some money by going w/ the G.Skill Ares, Sniper, or Ripjaws series. The three 16GB (2 x 8GB) kits on this page are all rated at DDR3-1600, and 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V... the same spec's as the Corsair DOM's you're thinking about getting.

Yes the Corsairs are $159, the GSkills run about $80-$90 depending. The thing that gets me about the Corsair Doms though is "hand-picked memory IC's" whereas GSkill makes no such claim. You're right, GSkill offers a bargain price, but I am tempted to pay extra to make sure the RAM is that much more reliable and I think it could reflect in the benchmarks.:cool:

I guess I'm still not sure if the I-7 3770K's memory controller can be tweaked to run at faster than 1600. I guess if I got faster RAM, I could run it at 1600 and tweak the timings? Hmmm..

The 3770k can run a lot faster than 1600. If you plan to benchmark get faster ram. The dominators are still over priced in my opinion.

Janus and Redduc, thanks and much respect. I took a second look at different RAM options after learning that I can definitely boost up the 3770K's mem controller. The GSkill definitely warrants serious consideration against the overpriced Doms. :rolleyes:

Atomic you also gave some good advice.:thup: I'm new to overclocking so I'm planning to keep the RAM at the advertised specs or less. (Probably leave the timings too unless I seriously downclock the RAM speed)

If for some reason I decide to go with RAM that is faster than 1600, I might boost up the speed on the 3770K's memory controller to 1866, or maybe even 2133, I don't know what's ballpark reasonable... :shrug:

It depends on the particular RAM on how overclockable it is. For a good middle ground the G.Skill TridentX 2400 kit is a great buy for the price.

It depends on the particular RAM on how overclockable it is. For a good middle ground the G.Skill TridentX 2400 kit is a great buy for the price.

Looking at that kit now. 2400 is screaming fast. And a great price considering the rated speed, sheesh! 2400 Doms cost $90 more.:-/

I guess it goes with the territory that 2400 RAM is going to run at higher voltages and slower timings, but maybe if I downclocked them a little, tweaked the voltage up a bit (as much as I dare), I might get the timings down to 9.. that would be all I want.

If you are considering 2x8gb kits from GSkill and want something faster than 1600 then these take a look at these... (One is the same kit that Janus67 mentioned)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231617

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231571

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231615

The first three kits are most likely Samsung based ic kits and I wouldn't be surprised if they overclocked in a similar manner.

The black kit has a $30 promo code for a few more days which gives it a decent cost/performance value compared to the others.

If you are considering 2x8gb kits from GSkill and want something faster than 1600 then these take a look at these... (One is the same kit that Janus67 mentioned)

Thanks for the heads up on these.:salute: Looking forward to this build but I have to hold back because if I buy too soon, or before I've saved up, I'll have buyer's remorse. I just took the fam on vacation in Vegas before we moved to Japan. Let's just say it might not be till Christmas.. or graduation :facepalm:

Still waiting on my main computer to arrive with all my stuff, so, dreaming about the next computer.

I also did some more poking around for info about the 3770K's memory controller overclocking capability. This one demo video showed them cranking the 3770K processor up to 4.8 GHz using a Corsair H60 (water cooling heatsink), with something like 1.325 or 1.35 volts on the processor -- and the RAM was up to 2800MHz 11-13-13-35 -- I was like holy cow:drool:! That would probably max out most RAM I might choose, unless (and maybe even if) I were to overclock the RAM.

Also new, was a software-based overclocking utility. It lets you make changes in real time instead of the UEFI reboot purgatory I was expecting. Very detailed too, I'm very enthused about using that to get familiar with my system's capabilities. :blah:

Ok, I should shut up.. getting carried away..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
These are all you should be looking at really. Most of those high end sets everyone is recommending use the same chips as these Samsung sticks. I have them running in quad channel at 8-8-8-24-1T @ only 1.410v, but you could easily overclock them past 2000mhz.

Thanks. Given what I posted earlier, I'd say you're brilliant. However, I just recently saw that video, and as a result, I'm moving the goalposts a little, and now really hoping to set my DDR3 to 2400 and leave 'em there -- but if these can hit over 2000mhz, then the price alone really makes it worth considering:cool:. Talk about bang for the buck -- thanks, I never would have known.

I also did some more poking around for info about the 3770K's memory controller overclocking capability. This one demo video showed them cranking the 3770K processor up to 4.8 GHz using a Corsair H60 (water cooling heatsink), with something like 1.325 or 1.35 volts on the processor -- and the RAM was up to 2800MHz 11-13-13-35 -- I was like holy cow:drool:! That would probably max out most RAM I might choose, unless (and maybe even if) I were to overclock the RAM.

Also new, was a software-based overclocking utility. It lets you make changes in real time instead of the UEFI reboot purgatory I was expecting. Very detailed too, I'm very enthused about using that to get familiar with my system's capabilities. :blah:

I took a look at that video and it seemed to offer some good basic info on the IB platform...

I would caution you or any other person wanting to get into overclocking the IB platform from thinking that running your new chip at 2800 is as easy as what was shown. That was most likely one of ASUS's binned (cherry) cpu. I'm sure that ASUS has access to many cpu from which to test and not all of Intel's cpu have an IMC strong enough to even boot at 2800 and plenty might max out at 2400/2600/2666...

If you are going to run 2x8gb... I think this kit (or the 2x8Gb version) may be one of the fastest otherwise for anything faster you'll have run 2x4gb or 4x4gb kits. Running with all dimms populated is more challenging then running with just a dual kit.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711317

Here is a good IB memory overclocking guide by Woomack:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713500

Thanks. Given what I posted earlier, I'd say you're brilliant. However, I just recently saw that video, and as a result, I'm moving the goalposts a little, and now really hoping to set my DDR3 to 2400 and leave 'em there -- but if these can hit over 2000mhz, then the price alone really makes it worth considering:cool:. Talk about bang for the buck -- thanks, I never would have known.

There's no reason why these can't hit 2400mhz at the same or better timings with less voltage than any of those expensive kits mentioned already in this thread. I would say especially if you are running them in dual channel instead of quad.

There's no reason why these can't hit 2400mhz at the same or better timings with less voltage than any of those expensive kits mentioned already in this thread. I would say especially if you are running them in dual channel instead of quad.

The low profile samsungs are not the same bin as the more expensive kits.
Usually they are the lowest bin that does not make it into the expensive kits and are more hit and miss since not all of the sticks will hit the same frequencies.

Thanks for the overclocking guide, PolRoger. I didn't want to set my sights as high as the demo, but thanks to your explanation I better understand why.:salute: I'm still a real noob to this stuff, this thread is like my first steps into OC.

kmo, I tend to be skeptical that the RAM you pointed out can really reach +1200 frequency offset -- almost double its rating. Why not rate it for more and sell it for more? So Moocow seems to be right with what he said.

I wouldn't doubt that it can hit 2400mhz.

Just not with the same timings or voltages of a better binned set.

The only reason the kit I recommended isn't rated higher is because Samsung doesn't configure the timings or frequency and market them with some ridiculous leet sounding name. It's not Samsung dumping their leftovers, from what I've heard they just aren't binned at all.

People on other forums regularly get them to 2400 or more with better or equal timings and voltages than kits rated that speed. They're not low binned chips, they are cheap because you are not paying for the brand name of some of the more expensive kits.

My 1600mhz configuration with 8-8-8-24-1T @ 1.410v was easily obtained and with a lower voltage than comparable CAS 8 kits out there. It's really up to you though, I wouldn't pay for the other overpriced kits out there.

I mean really, unless you plan on overclocking that 3770k past 4.5ghz 24/7, having super fast ram isn't going to make a huge difference in performance anyway.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the binned kits can be tightened down/lowered voltages.
It just depends if you want to have a guaranteed speed out of the box, or if you would rather bin sticks yourself and have the possibility of having to go through multiple sets of ram to get those speeds since they are not guaranteed.

Keep in mind that the binned kits can be tightened down/lowered voltages.
It just depends if you want to have a guaranteed speed out of the box, or if you would rather bin sticks yourself and have the possibility of having to go through multiple sets of ram to get those speeds since they are not guaranteed.

True. But I have not came across a single post where someone had this problem with the Samsungs. You gotta consider that the Samsungs are also only 44$ where some of these high rated kits can be 60$ or more for an 8gb kit.

Last edited:
Back