• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What motherboard to get i5 3570k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moleybear

I'm upgrading to a i5 3570k and would like some advice on which motherboard to get. I'd rather the motherboard be under £100 and be able to overclock (nothing extreme, though).

Also what case would you guys recommend me getting? Needs plenty of airflow and room to do cable management. Again, nothing too expensive.

Thanks

The motherboard seems good for price but a few friends had that mobo and apparently burnt out pretty fast. I'd rather go asus or gigabyte but not sure which board ;/

Asus P8Z77-V LK or Gigabyte Z77X-D3H? Which would you people reccomend between them 2. Thanks

Yep, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 has been a good board for me, one of the best bangs for your buck...
I have 3 or 4 friends running them as well, 1 has been 8 months or so under pretty heavy overclock.

I recommend asus though I only have tried there maximus v gene which is a little out of your price range, but from what work they do on these gaming boards the boards just below them should have the same awesome software and build quality. The ai suite 2 software is the best motherboard software i have ever seen by far, and I haven't had any compatibility issues at all and over clocking potential is unmatched.

I recommend asus though I only have tried there maximus v gene which is a little out of your price range, but from what work they do on these gaming boards the boards just below them should have the same awesome software and build quality. The ai suite 2 software is the best motherboard software i have ever seen by far, and I haven't had any compatibility issues at all and over clocking potential is unmatched.

And drastic overkill. As much as ASUS markets those as "gaming" boards, they aren't. They're benchmarking boards and it's an utter waste to any gamer as they'll never use a ROG board to it's potential.

ASRock Extreme 3/4, ASUS P8Z77-V, or the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H are your best options.

And drastic overkill. As much as ASUS markets those as "gaming" boards, they aren't. They're benchmarking boards and it's an utter waste to any gamer as they'll never use a ROG board to it's potential.

ASRock Extreme 3/4, ASUS P8Z77-V, or the Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H are your best options.

Yeah I agree I was speaking more about the manufacturer, as I haven't been happy with the asrock, gigabyte boards I have had in the past. I have had quite a few boards from them fail so I stay away these days, man I wish abit was still around those were some damn good boards ill never forget my ip35-e was such a beast for the price.

Don't compare standard ASUS boards to ROG series. It's totally different league. Personally I'm not touching any boards from ASUS unless it's ROG series.
From cheaper boards good are ASRocks but since Moleybear isn't convinced to one them then I can suggest GA-Z77X-D3H that is more than enough for gaming or everything else.

Don't compare standard ASUS boards to ROG series. It's totally different league. Personally I'm not touching any boards from ASUS unless it's ROG series.
From cheaper boards good are ASRocks but since Moleybear isn't convinced to one them then I can suggest GA-Z77X-D3H that is more than enough for gaming or everything else.

I wasn't trying to compare them directly just merely stating that for $200 on this over kill board with the services that asus provides I would recommend them over gigabyte/asrock which has treated me like poop in the past and gave me nothing but issues on the 1156/1366/775 platforms. Ive also used one of there z77 sabertooth boards which is another more expensive one but I feel like its so many leagues better than other high end boards I have run across in the past from gigabyte(which is what ive used mainly for the past year and abit before I switched to asus) for that reason I cant help but throw my lot in with asus.
But I can see where you guys are coming from the rog boards are in another league but the fact that its such a far gap compared to the other boards ive used im gonna have to go with asus purely because of the crap ive gotten from gigabyte with compatibility and usb3 issues/sata issues. My p55 non-a/a ud3 and ud6 both were terrible boards in my experience the most trouble some ive had to deal with and they kept sending me screwed up boards when I sent them in -_- im just unlucky probably. Just throwing it out there cause again I have not tried any of the lower end asus boards, as I haven't done more than 3 builds on the z77 boards I cant really speak very precisely on the boards that are being considered here. Simply comparing asus to gigabyte and asrock, but I haven't gotten an asrock board since the 775 days, I never had more trouble with a company than them ill leave it at that hahah.

sabertooth z77

good mix of everything, top notch for air/water overclocking.

I have the UD5H from Gigabyte and love it, no issues. It is pricey and only went with it because I got it for $130 at MicroCenter, otherwise I would have gone with an ASRock as many here recommend as a proven board.

Anyway, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 is a great bang for you buck board. :thup:

sabertooth z77

good mix of everything, top notch for air/water overclocking.
Sabertooth is too expensive for what it is IMO (5 year warranty is all it has over anything else). A much less expensive board will be fine. Not to mention Id much rather have the Mpower or OC Formula for the same price.

For normal usage / gaming usage / no-LN2, almost any Z77 board will do.
Absolutely. :thup:

Of those you listed, UD3H...but either will do. Heh, I see this is an oldish thread.

I wouldn't recommend asrock extreme4.. I am not having good luck with my z77. I don't base it just off of that tho, seems these mb's are finicky and common to failure/errors. :(

I agree about Asrock extreme 4. I tired it, but it came with bent socket pins, and when I tried to RMA, first to NE, and then to Asrock, both denied, citing bent socket pins. Ended up with ASUS P8z77vle-Plus, which with Amazon $30 rebate was the best deal, and met my needs. No more NE or Asrock for me.

Re Case, I love my Fractal Arc Midi!!!!. Great case, but it seems they are phasing it out. They still make a Mini, so...

I also agree with earlier Abit comment. My Ip35Pro is still going strong after 7 years.

Back