• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What mouse DPI is best for gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

I'm looking for a 3 button mouse, smooth DPI left to right for gaming, no blur. Also what brand is best?

no blur?

logitech are generally pretty good and warranties are supposedly outstanding.

it all depends on what you are playing, i use dpi switching mice where i can pick between 3 or 5 different dpi settings, shooters i generally have it turned all the way up, working in photoshop and stuff i turn it lower, sometimes when sniping in games il drop it a notch for a little more control.

I like the Logitech G700s I have, with programmable DPI I can get it just right for whatever resolution or game I'm playing. Of course I've not used any other Mice, Logitech has always been a good brand for me.

Most "top players" play at 400dpi with logitech or avego sensors. By "no blur" Im going to presume you meant no acceleration. "blur" would be more monitor refresh rate than mouse related.

To answer your question directly, the best SENSOR right now is the logitech pmw3366, but mouse feel is incredibly subjective. Several mice have the pmw3366 (or the licensed variant).

Razer Deathadder, Logitech G502, Zowie FK series, Corsair Sabre/M65 all use top notch sensors, and are about equal in performance, giving you a decent range of mice to choose from. You can even geek out on your brand loyalty. For all the crap razer get, they do make excellent mice.

edit: PLEASE NOTE*** There are several iterations of most of those mice, especially the deathadder. I am speaking of first hand knowledge of all the MODERN releases of these mice. Some versions are pretty awful, such as the laser corsair sabre. The optical sensor equipped versions are what im speaking of.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. I have a 800 DPI now so I guess I'm doing fine for mouse? The blur that I'm seeing is when I move the mouse left or right the cursor or game is a little blurry, Would 144Hz monitor fix that?

I have a 144Hz monitor on it's way, just wan't to know if I should refuse delivery if it won't help?

Thanks for all the information. I have a 800 DPI now so I guess I'm doing fine for mouse? The blur that I'm seeing is when I move the mouse left or right the cursor or game is a little blurry, Would 144Hz monitor fix that?

I have a 144Hz monitor on it's way just wan't to know if I should refuse delivery if it won't help.

DPI is largely irrelevant. 400 dpi is just the standard sensitivity for FPS pros. Thats an entirely different discussion, but we can dive in if you're really asking.

Thanks, just trying to figure out what causes cursor or game blur when moving left to right. I thought maybe it was DPI.:eek:

Thanks, just trying to figure out what causes cursor or game blur when moving left to right. I thought maybe it was DPI.:eek:

If your mouse is "800 dpi" you probably have a terrible mouse. 60hz is causing the "blurring" + any post processing motion blur effects you may not have disabled yet. A good mouse makes a HUGE difference, but its going to be very awkward to get used to such low sensitivities at first. Muscle memory plays a massive role in aim in fps', hence the slow rate of motion.

144hz + a good mouse is fantastic. Its going to be a lot more fun hitting your shots when you practice for a while :)

wingman to add to the good suggestions above. Being able to adjust the DPI isn't the holy grail when it come to gaming, yes it's necessary but you also need to take into consideration the mouse itself. How big or small it is and how comfortable it is for you while playing is really important. I am an avid gamer and I like a mouse that is on the smaller because of the way I tend to grip my mouse (claw grip). My favorite discontinued mouse was the logitech G9X. When mine finally died after years of hard use I went through about 4 different mice before I settled on a new one, which was the G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780. My point is take some time to go and actually feel different mice in your hand (if possible) before you settle on one.

Well I received the new monitor and playing BF1 on medium settings at 144 FPS now it is perfect, there is no more Blur at all. Going from 60Hz to 144Hz 1080p did the the job. I will try Best Buy for a mouse, thanks for all the help.:)

Last edited:
I have my SteelSeries Rival and its a pretty good mouse so far (Owned it for more than a year now, Its the first model) I really like it and i bought it for CSGO at first and it did wonders. I use the SteelSeries QCK mousepad too. For FPS games i use 400DPI and tweak the mouse sensetivity ingame too, For other games where i need to move my cursor quick i use 800DPI.

Well I received the new monitor and playing BF1 on medium settings at 144 FPS now it is perfect, there is no more Blur at all. Going from 60Hz to 144Hz 1080p did the the job. I will try Best Buy for a mouse, thanks for all the help.:)

yeah make sure you disable "motion blur" in the video settings on that game or it will drive you nuts. btw add me my origin tag is wagex i think

Forgive my age here, but I absolutely swear by my logitech MX518. It goes up to 1800dpi which is definitely enough for me. It's optical though; in it's time laser mice were wildly expensive. Now (I think) the G700 is the newest version of the MX518--if mine were to break I'd get that in a heartbeat. It has up to 8000dpi so I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to find a good one for you. Also can be wired or wireless. More buttons than you were looking for, but they're non-intrusive. It should last forever too, mine is going on 8 years.

There's no real "best" DPI, it's a lot of player preference. Just make sure you get a good mousepad, that makes almost as much of a difference. I have the Steelseries 4HD and the mouse will slide a little when you flick it. So nice.

Last edited:
Forgive my age here, but I absolutely swear by my logitech MX518. It goes up to 1800dpi which is definitely enough for me. It's optical though; in it's time laser mice were wildly expensive. Now (I think) the G700 is the newest version of the MX518--if mine were to break I'd get that in a heartbeat. It has up to 8000dpi so I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to find a good one for you. Also can be wired or wireless. More buttons than you were looking for, but they're non-intrusive. It should last forever too, mine is going on 8 years.
I have both the MX 518 and the G700 jmt. The G700 is actually the 1st mouse I purchased after my G9x died. You're correct it is very similar to the MX 518. It was just a tad too tall for me (measuring from the mouse pad up) for my gaming style. My son is now using it for over a year or so.

im still using my mx-518 as well and 90% of the time it sits at 1800dpi esp when playing fps games lovely mouse, the right click on it is starting to die on it though, have to hold it down really hard if wanting to hold it for ADS.

Why all of you play FPS games with high DPI?? Its harder to aim that way!!

its quicker and easier when you get used to it. :)
when im playing cod4 i usually probably only move my mouse 2" at most when playing if i drag the mouse all the way across my ice mat id do like 5 360's lol
i just recently got back into playing cod4 in the mouse settings in game im back up to about 35% sensitivity, i used to play at like 90% just slowly bumping it up as i get used to it and realize i need more.

some people prefer low dpi for shooters, but you move so slow by the time you turn around when you hear someone behind you you are dead lol.

Last edited:
Back