• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ram for my system, want to OC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doink

Hi !
I have upgraded my whole system except for the core components, and I need some advice.

I need some advice on which ram to buy.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7, X58
CPU: I7 920 or I7 930.
Ram: 6GB of whichever suits the setup the best

I will buy a high end custom watercooling setup for the CPU, Motherboard and GPU.

I will try to overclock the computer as high as possible aiming for 4,5Ghz.

I don't want the ram to be the bottleneck, so I need some advice on which ram would help me reach my goal.

I have no particular budget, but I don't want to waste money on totally overkill. I want the best ram for my setup and overclock which will suit the purpose.

I'm not sure if a 930 will clock better than a 920. If you got opiniona on that to I would appreciate it.

I hope someone out there with experience can give me som advice.

If you have no use for the Turbulence fan, the 3x2GB kit of Ripjaws (F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH), although rated at 9-9-9-27 and 1.65V at 2000MHz, are capable of running at timings of 7-7-7-19 and 1.60V at 1680MHz. So since your goal is ~4.5GHz, use a BCLK of 210MHz and multiplier of 21 = 4.4GHz, w/ the DRAM multiplier set to x8 (2:8) = 1680MHz. And the RAM is only 175 bucks for the 6GB kit at Newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231306

Back