• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to buy for WCing an FX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the ek waterblocks are great, stick with that.
Sounds good :thup:
clamps? I ain't got no clamps..... hey I don't use no stinking clamps.....
and i don't, all the leaks that I have had have all been at the stinking "o" rings and i have reduced those greatly by lubing them with pledge furiture polish, it's wax and keeps the rubber "o" ring from rolling while I screw the barb down to seal it then when I have all the tubes cut to fit I heat the barbs up good and warm with a heat gun and slip the tubes on, but clamps might make you feel better.

(earthdog!!!!!! the automagical is broken!!!!!!)
Good idea on the hot water / heat gun. It should help out with making nice tight fittings.
All the blocks are great. Which ever one you pick is fine, including the XL. Its all in aesthetics really.

I'd look to grab the smaller tubing with angled barb fittings as it will make your loop easier and look cleaner. The shortest and cleanest loop is more efficient.

Make sure when installing your reservoir, that your pump is being fed by the reservoir naturally. That's the only part of the loop order I would stress about. :salute:

Since you bought a 30 FPI radiator (GT Stealth), make sure you grab some REALLY high static fans. Now you're in the 2000-3000 RPM range. Don't grab the helix120s now since they are designed for low to mid FPI rads and not against a 30 FPI rad. Again, for that rad to run efficiently you'll need 2k-3k.

Also, make sure to add a drain (lowest part of your loop) to your loop to make maintenance easier.

I'll look around for some better fans. shouldn't be too hard.

As for the drain, I'll add a tee to the bottom of the res.
I say tee as in PEX tee. Yes, I talked to my neighbour who's a plumber, and he has agreed to supply any sort of fittings I need, he even gave me some sweet 1/2 PEX to use.

PEX ought to work for this right?
Harder to work with, but he's got the right tools for all the crimping I need for the connectors and bends :thup:

EDIT: Okay so if the cart on the last page look good, (the EK Supremacy MX block and BITSPOWER TANK Z-MULTI 150 the acrylic version) looks good, I'll order it up tonight. :)

Last edited:
You'll not be wanting to go with PEX.
ID's and OD's aren't the same as normal tubing. If you use it you'll be using barbs, no compressions, and clamps on every single thing........which you should be doing anyways.

ok, use clamps, but not those horrid things from the autoparts store, get the ones from the computerstore or don't bother.
pex? thats the harder plastic stuff, lets not do that.

You'll not be wanting to go with PEX.
ID's and OD's aren't the same as normal tubing. If you use it you'll be using barbs, no compressions, and clamps on every single thing........which you should be doing anyways.

ok, use clamps, but not those horrid things from the autoparts store, get the ones from the computerstore or don't bother.
pex? thats the harder plastic stuff, lets not do that.

I plan on barbs anyway, clamps as well. I don't need leaks lol.

Yeah I was looking at the PEX I got... Rock hard stuff. The idea sounds great in my head but yeah.... A lot of fittings would be involved = more possible leak points.

I'll find another use for it instead. :)

The CPU block and res I picked out look alright?

Order placed! :clap:
Now hopefully it won't end up in the middle of nowhere like my CPU did lol

So totaled up, I'm in this for $298 CAD....
Worth it?

totally :)

EDIT: Also, I found out that OCN has a discount code for Preformance PC, OCN55.
I didn't use it, rather I did the rate on Google+ to get the same 5.5% discount. I asked them in the comments section if they would give OCF one. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I do believe there is a code for OCF, pretty sure I seen it somewhere one time r another.

@ CD ..... no worries those clamps I sent along with the barbs are the good aluminum clamps ..... no cheap auto parts stuff for me either.

Sp already has a couple big fans coming ....... just a little surprise ........ :shock::rofl: CD ..... you would love these.:clap:

I still have a few ultra kaze 3000, 125x38mm fans around, the sweet sound of coolin.

I do believe there is a code for OCF, pretty sure I seen it somewhere one time r another.

@ CD ..... no worries those clamps I sent along with the barbs are the good aluminum clamps ..... no cheap auto parts stuff for me either.

Sp already has a couple big fans coming ....... just a little surprise ........ :shock::rofl: CD ..... you would love these.:clap:

:shock:

I held off on buying fans till I open the goodie box.
Sounds like a monster inside lol :thup:

Actually 2 monsters ...... With those you can turn your case into a wind tunnel if you choose. Told you I had you covered from quiet time to ....... OHFG.

As long as they max @ 5,000 RPM, that should be enough for bed time. :p

Pretty close .......

Seriously now I have so many fans laying around I'll find some fans for the rad before I ship it out Monday I won't guarantee super quiet but there are still 40ish pounds of unused fans in a box in my closet. WHat you have coming, Tuesday /Wednesday is 4 Yate Loons Medium ...... Though they are red LED ...... you can clip the LED wires if you don't like them red ...... and 2 monsters 120 X 54 mm 5500RPM if I remember right there are a couple models but I can't remember which they were. A little noisy but not as bad as you might think. I would used the Yates in a push pull for the rad ...... they should work fine. I had 2 GT AP45 fans on it and they worked fine The push pull Yates I think will work. If I get a chance I'll see if I have a couple of the NZXT fans still here.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually 2 monsters ...... With those you can turn your case into a wind tunnel if you choose. Told you I had you covered from quiet time to ....... OHFG.

As long as they max @ 5,000 RPM, that should be enough for bed time. :p

Pretty close .......

Seriously now I have so many fans laying around I'll find some fans for the rad before I ship it out Monday I won't guarantee super quiet but there are still 40ish pounds of unused fans in a box in my closet. WHat you have coming, Tuesday /Wednesday is 4 Yate Loons Medium ...... Though they are red LED ...... you can clip the LED wires if you don't like them red ...... and 2 monsters 120 X 54 mm 5500RPM if I remember right there are a couple models but I can't remember which they were. A little noisy but not as bad as you might think. I would used the Yates in a push pull for the rad ...... they should work fine. I had 2 GT AP45 fans on it and they worked fine The push pull Yates I think will work. If I get a chance I'll see if I have a couple of the NZXT fans still here.

Pretty close .......

Thanks Bassnut!
I was looking at the Yate Loon mediums myself actually.

push/pull sounds good, that's what I'll set it up as.

not trying to hi-jack this thread but i have the dame CPU and i was wondering the same things , but i was thinking more of the H240-X or H220-X , what you guys think

Those swiftech kits will work fine and are comparable to what SP is using though SP parts may be a bit better in..... pump l, cpu block. If you ever plan on bumping up to a bigger chip you might want to consider the 360 version..... in my opinion.

Box #3!

not trying to hi-jack this thread but i have the dame CPU and i was wondering the same things , but i was thinking more of the H240-X or H220-X , what you guys think

The kits you mentioned are what ATMINSIDE told me I could use on this chip. (He sold me the chip and mobo) It's what he uses IIRC. ;)

4.7Ghz no issues with those kits.

Also got the Res and pump in today!

DSC00898.JPG DSC00899.JPG

Here's more shots with the barbs installed:
DSC00901.JPG
DSC00900.JPG

Of course!

Now that everything is here, I can begin parting the case together. :thup:
Pics of the build will follow. Expect lots of wood lol

Derp. Forgot to buy a silver plug for the res since performance PC's was out of stock on PT nuke....

Instead of paying grande $$$ for shipping a $5 plug, is there something else I could run as a biocide?
Rad coolant from my car? (like 1/2 a cup of it?)

Also, construction on the new case is under way. Pics will be on the main build thread if you want to see.
Pics of the finished loop will be posted here of course :)

you can run a 5% - 10% antifreeze mix. Or drop in at a jewelry store and see if they have any 99.999 silver wire etc.

Back