• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do next...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Well, I have enough parts to build another machine just for kicks and I wanted to get a consensus as to what people would like to see. Maybe if someone really likes me, they'll turn this into a real poll. :D

What should CD make next?

a. Something Tiny
b. Something Shiny
c. Something CUTE!!! ^_^
d. Suprise me!
e. ANYTHING! Because your stuff rules!

Last edited:
Definately b or e, because you've made plenty that have been tiny.

I would suggest something that is shiny, with a mirror finish, is original, and something no one here has thought of yet, and do it all in a tiny case.

:cool:

One idea i have: remove the casing around some small speakers and replace them with a plexiglass cover with leds in them :)

Or, replace the shell of an lcd monitor with plexiglass, and make a look-alike custom cinema display.

make a flux capacitor like the one doc brown used in his delorean...lol :D but seriously, I'm all for option d (but I wouldn't mind seeing another "shoe horn" project) :D

Chrisdafu said:
I like the speaker idea. That would definatly be cool to see. I would say do A, B, and D together. Also why is there no C choice?

I know the alphabet, but I removed that option and forgot to rearrange the letters. duyeee

mod a pcso that it'll fit into a backpack incl monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Then go to a lan party, unzip ur pack of goodness and your ready to go, go, go

Just letting you guys know, if anyone wants to send me their Klipsch 5.1's, I'll gladly ATTEMPT to change the casing over to plexiglass.

Of course, if I do any minor cosmetic damage, I will be nice, and keep them for you so you don't strain your eyes :)

Dude, something shiny....

Seriously.....I saw some mirrored plexi at home depot when I bought the plexi for my window......I would love to make a TRUE mirror finish case, and plexi as well, but I lack the skills for an all plexi case, heh.

I think a mirror case would be awesome...and hey, if you can do it with real glass, more power to you!

tatanka said:
make a flux capacitor like the one doc brown used in his delorean...lol :D

Someone really needs to do this. It would be perfect on the back side of a motherboard tray, with a small round window in the case to show it off.

definitely C: something cute!!!

make it like a girl's computer, with pink fuzzy stuff covering it...

or a stuffed animal... i mean computer... find a huge tiger or something.... put your pc inside it... that would KICK BUTT!!!

filip04 said:
definitely C: something cute!!!

make it like a girl's computer, with pink fuzzy stuff covering it...

or a stuffed animal... i mean computer... find a huge tiger or something.... put your pc inside it... that would KICK BUTT!!!

Ill give that another vote...should do like pink tinted plexiglass with furry stuff on it! ^_^

Ha! Fooled you all! :D
The answer is G for all of the above +Gir.
Option F got eaten...
4_gir1.jpg

4_gir2.jpg

I'm building a Gir-themed Multimedia PC because I have a gaggle of Anime and cartoons on CD-Rs that I really want to watch on the big screen TV in the basement without having to lug my machines down there. Also, only my main rig has TV-OUT.

But largely I just wanted a good (or plausible) excuse for building a machine in this case that I love so much. I got a great deal on an all-in-one motherboard that includes a wireless IR Keyboard/trackmouse thingy and I found an even better deal on a low-profile TV Capture card.
Either by dumb luck or divine intervention the chrome paint on the case actually improves the reception of the Infrared keybooard by bouncing the light into the hole where I've mounted the receptor. THat hole in the front of the case used to hold a front USB port, but it's leftover screw mounting holes (again with the luck) matched up with the holes on the IR receiver card.

The only part I need now is a moderately spacious hard drive with which I can house all of the video I record. 40-60gb should do it but I worry about that in a minute.

This machine is only a little bit bigger than a regular VCR and it's extremely quiet (21dba).

Here are it meager but acceptable stats.
- Celeron 466
- 192mb PC66 RAM
- SIS630 Flex ATX all-in-one motherboard with I/R receiver
- ATI TV Wonder capture card
- 52x CD-ROM drive (will be a burner once I upgrade the PSU)

Major irritations/set-backs thus far
- I will need to solder audio connections onto the motherboard because it lacks the audio jack riser.
- I will need to run 100feet of ethernet cable to the basement through the air condition return upstairs all the way to the basement. Otherwise I won't be able to use the channel guide feature of the ATI card.
- I have to cut a custom cable for the Infrared receiver because the one provided was too short to reach the front of the case.
- The Cable organization took 25 minutes. It's fairly difficult to keep them away cooling from fans in a case this small.

Last edited:
If perchance my brother sells his tivo to me I will again change my plans. In which case I will attempt to build the smallest PC I have ever attempted. It will use the same motherboard, but I might have to get a special power supply, and I'll have to resort to using laptop drives and maybe even a C3.

Back