• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
ETH mining has gotten fairly... I dunno, low profitability. I don't know that it's worth it at this point. London Hard Fork/EIP-1559 has definitely made some changes, where do we go from here?

Price is up a bit. Those of us who don't have enough to participate in PoS, is it best to sell off and mine something else, hold our current small-fry amount, but still work on mining the next "big coin"?

I didn't get into this for quick bucks, I had hoped to build up a moderate little account and hold onto it hoping it would grow like BTC. But with no real chance at continuing to grow the balance of coin over time, there's not much point in holding a small amount and just hoping market change will turn it into a small fortune.

What plans do you guys have?

I make small buys twice a month and am continuing to mine with my 2 3080s outside of sleeping in the same room or gaming. Difficulty and quantities will only get more scarce.

Mining isn't going anywhere, just ETH mining. I've changed my mindset from looking at how much $XXX.XX I'm making per week to how much ETH I'm earning.

After ETH, I'll be looking at how much RVN, ERG, CFX, etc I'm getting. These obviously won't be worth the same dollar amount as ETH at the time of mining, but neither was ETH after the split with ETC. Mine and Hold. There will be another boom altcoin. Your guess is as good a mine what it will be, but I will not miss out on the next one. The only thing that will shut me down will be government interference, which is getting more likely each week, or the wife literally pulling the plug. She has been accepting of the increased electric bill (though complains every month), with little or negative returns, I anticipate increased negative feedback (a.k.a nagging).

I've been debating selling off my ROG Strix 3090 while I can still get most of my purchase price for it.

Maybe even selling the monster machine I don't use for ANYTHING but mining now. I mean, I won't out of it anything like what I've got in it, but it still worth a good chunk, and with mining seemingly less profitable over the foreseeable future, I'd be ahead monetarily if I sold it. But of course... it's hard to sell off my "baby". lol

<edit> ROG Strix is coming back with a new serial number from ASUS - I guess that means a replacement card instead of my used one. That would be better if I'm going to sell it.

So ETH mining is still painfully slow - running a 3090 and 2070 Super, I'm getting around 170MH/s, which at this point is translating to .00370/day. About 26 days to 0.1ETH.

I'm open to other ideas. Still got a new warranty return 3090 sitting on the desk unopened I can't sell for what I have in it - without risking selling on Ebay. :mad:

ETH mining painfully slow - I'm not sure what you were expecting. That's just over $10/day for 2 cards. This seems about normal. My 250Mh/s takes about 13 day to reach 0.1 ETH. I think the issue is we used to be able to set the threshold to .01Eth so payment was much faster but you paid more in Gas.

Or an I misunderstanding the situation?

No, I understand... it's just a lot slower in general than it used to be only a few months ago. I was wondering if there was something else out there yet anyone had seen. Not a big deal, it's just... frustrating.

Back