• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to do....plz help :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not really on topic of the thread but, how many amps on the 12v rail does a c2d require when pushing it up to say, 4ghz?

4Ghz stable requires phase change cooling. so yea, thats not quite on topic ;)
high 4's like 4.3ish is around 17 12V amps from my calculations from watching heatload results on some high end overclocks. But I would want some STABLE rails at those levels ;)
heatload != wattage, but its the best indicator I can come up with off the top of my head. In other words, YMMV

greenmaji said:
4Ghz stable requires phase change cooling. so yea, thats not quite on topic ;)
high 4's like 4.3ish is around 17 12V amps from my calculations from watching heatload results on some high end overclocks. But I would want some STABLE rails at those levels ;)
heatload != wattage, but its the best indicator I can come up with off the top of my head. In other words, YMMV

I used the Extreme PSU calculator to see what it said for wattage on an E6600 @ 4Ghz w/1.75 vcore. It said 212W ....so that would be about 17.6A

If I'm right in how the calculation all works for that stuff. (I'm guessing since greenmaji said about 17A I'm probably right.)

@jivetrky.. your Vcore estamate is high for that clock.. try 1.64Vcore wich is ~ what is needed for 4Ghz.
Edit.. I went ahead and did that.. it says 186Watts or 15.5, 12Vamps for those settings..

my guess above.. 4.3 with lest say 1.67Vcore.. 208Watts or 17.3, 12V amps.. seems my educated guess and the calculator roughly agree :) I was assuming roughly 200Watts at this overclock ;)

btw.. if you want to know how to use the calculator, 80 TDP utilization is roughly equal to running orthose high priorty 24/7 so thats what I selected.

Second edit..
More usefull info IMHO

Average max stable clock on normal cooling and average Vcore (educated guess) power consumption:
3.6Ghz @ 1.45Vcore 131W 11, 12V amps

Last edited:
Back