• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with an extra WRT54GL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
I replaced my Modem and Router...It turns out the Router was good.

A nice Linksys WRT54GL

Questions

1)I always wanted to install open source firmware... Tomato or what not. Can I just plug it in my other PC and do it from there, it won't cause any problems having 2 Routers will it? I'll have the Wifi shut off.

2) Can I get some advice on what folks do with an extra router like this in a home environment. I would like to build my networking skills up and need something to work on.

3) I now have a Linksys WRT 160n v2 is it a good one? I would like to use the N. We got our first Laptop this Christmas...this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115544&Tpk=34-115-544
The specs say draft n (On the laptop specs), is there a way tell if its using it? The range is not all that great, if it is using it. Right about the same as the WRT 54GL.

I am new on Vista and Laptops what can someone recommend to improve the N. Maybe a Wifi card?
Price matters somewhat but I would prefer to get it from Neweeg.

Thanks for any advice.:beer:

Last edited:
You could use it behind the new one and have 2 wireless networks...one with access to the internal network and one without. Also, you should definetly check out some third party firmwares. DD-WRT and Tomato are both great.

You could configure it as a wireless access point or as a wireless bridge, with or without the dd-wrt firmware.

I had an extra WRT54G router at one time, that I was going to do dd-wrt with, but my daughter needed a router, so that's where it went. Have fun! :beer:

you can make the second router as a access point/switch . which try putting them at opposite sides of the house to get the most signal connection

Thanks for the replies.:)

I checked properties on the Laptop adapter and its speed is 130Mbps that sounds right for N,

you can make the second router as a access point/switch . which try putting them at opposite sides of the house to get the most signal connection
Do I need to keep them on different channels?

wireless bridge

Thanks for the link T.

Back