• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What to know about 4X RAM ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Guys this is rather a " noob " question but im still very unsure.

Thing is i plan to install 16 GB of RAM into my build. Now my Mobo manual only states my Mobo is a Dual Channel Architecture.

Currently i have 2X 4GB , Dual Channel kit installed on my system

For most 4 Stick RAM kits being sold , its stated Quad Channel , 4X 4GB Kit

My question is now can i even install up to 4 Stick of RAM into my system ?
Since currently I already have 2 Stick , so can i just get another set of Dual Channel , 2X 4GB RAM kit ?

Or i must go for those Quad Channel , 4X 4GB Kits ?

I did look up my manual for guidance, the list recommended ones which are 16GB usually are Quad Channel , 4X 4GB Kits , i checked them online.

For example , this is one of the one stated in my manual

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=427

And of course i know one of the most important thing is that, they all must be same Mhz , Timing for them to work properly.

If you have four dimms you can install up to 4 sticks, it doesn't matter if all four dimms match, but only if the the two slots that match up have matching ram, they shouldn't be side by side. so with that said, you're good to go to buy some other 2x4gb kit! :D

If you have four dimms you can install up to 4 sticks, it doesn't matter if all four dimms match, but only if the the two slots that match up have matching ram, they shouldn't be side by side. so with that said, you're good to go to buy some other 2x4gb kit! :D

Yeah it's what my plan is. I think i kinda solved the question i wanted to ask myself before reading this lol.

I came up to a forum they were discussing about this too.

So actually a Quad Channel RAM / Architecture are those Mobo for i7 which are X79 Chip , which they actually have 8X DIMM slots !

What he said that actually for us Dual Channel to work , we actually need all 4 DIMM installed to actually run Dual Channel, and it seems like Quad Channel RAM kits too can work on Dual Channel Mobo , only it will works as Dual Channel instead of Quad

So i guess im good to go :thup:

Actually matter of fact im not just getting one 2X 4GB Kit , i be getting two lol , because i really regretted getting Vengeance the tall heatsink really have problem finding a compatible cooler , except AIO Water Coolers and i plan to do a Blue Theme build now instead of Black :salute: O the amount of money is going to be wasted !

OMG that's what exactly i plan to change to :D How you know ? You can read minds ?? :shock:

Actually i never expected the Kingston HyperX RAM to look so good , i seen them on some build they aren't just normal Blue like color , but their heatsink it kinda shines , sort of metal chrome color but it's in Blue !

But what's actually the difference between this two ?? The heatsink does look slight different , but specs seems to be same.

Strangely it's hard to find Kingston RAM online in my country here for price reference etc this recent days , usually they are quite common , i seen them loads of time , but usually are Retail shops, i think i have to visit a Retail Shop to see what's on the market for me here.

And strangely enough that Corsair Vengeance RAM here are actually cheaper than Kingston's HyperX = ="

But it seems like over at NCIX , Corsair Vengeance is more expensive lol....weird !

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=59431&vpn=CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B&manufacture=Corsair

What i would do in your position, is get an AIO water cooler and go with the Blue Vengeance with the large heatsinks, i like them a lot more and would recommend them a lot more than the ones with the low profile heatsinks. as the ones with the bigger ehatsinks will provide better heat displacement when overclocking ram which i hope you will be doing?

LoL, actually this is what exactly im doing at the moment.
Im using a Enermax AIO Water Cooler. Also it's actually same reason why i got into AIO coolers because the tall heatsink on Vengeance RAM.

But now after changing it all....i have a fear for AIO , for i seen people saying their pipe broken , liquid spilled all over their system !

And since i plan to change to a Blue Theme build , i thinking might as well just changed all my Vengeance RAM back to a smaller heatsink ones and im able to go back to Air Coolers , which Phanteks now have quite few awesome ones , perform really well ! Also they have one that's in Blue ! The whole heatsink tower it's Blue , along 2X 120mm Blue Phantek fans =p

Corsair is cheaper solution currently here now.....but i wonder is the heatsink good looking as the Kingston ones lol , as i said the Kingston ones are like metal chrome like but in Blue it's really eye catching !

But what's the different between both of those Kingston RAM you posted ?

And may i ask how long has your H100I been ? Do you use any water cooler before this ?

The only thing that i would guess is different is the Latency.. which i don't know much about and what it does sadly...

H100I? I've had mine for about... Hmm let me pull up the receipt xD I've had mine for a month! :) and i LOVE it, keeps my "Lucky" chip cool as hell even at full load at 5Ghz. :)
Edit: By cool as hell at 5Ghz i mean like cool for 5Ghz with an AIO about temps maxing of about 85C

Wao 5Ghz....pushing it to the max lol , but 85 it's a rather high temp to me , since i never OC lol !

Im happy with 3.3 Ghz lol , but did you use any other AIO before ??

Well guys, depending on the MoBo and CPU, different modules might work or... not.

As an example, my PhenomII and my 8120 were working fine with different pairs of modules, as soon as I was matching the latencies in the BIOS.

I could never get it to work with my 2600K's, with any of the MoBo's I used (Asus p67Pro, Fatality z68 pro and Fatality z77 pro-m);

So, better cautious than sorry: grab the same set as the one you aleady own.

Well guys, depending on the MoBo and CPU, different modules might work or... not.

As an example, my PhenomII and my 8120 were working fine with different pairs of modules, as soon as I was matching the latencies in the BIOS.

I could never get it to work with my 2600K's, with any of the MoBo's I used (Asus p67Pro, Fatality z68 pro and Fatality z77 pro-m);

So, better cautious than sorry: grab the same set as the one you aleady own.

I think it's better to be safe that i change all 4 sticks lol , they aren't that expensive....only couldn't really decide whether Kingston or Corsair lol....

But this is just matter of my taste , performance i don't bother much , i just use it for gaming so for RAM doesn't really affect that lot now my goal it's all along for the " cool looks " :D

But one thing does worry me slightly for Kingston , if running on stock , it's only 1.5V @ 1333mhz...but if XMP Profile is ON , it will run at 1600mhz yes that's the point of this RAM , but too it runs on 1.65V instead....

My Mobo manual wrote that it's best below 1.5V to avoid damage to the CPU or something....but instead on the list of " Recommended RAM " from the manual some are rated @ 1.65V too....:shock:

Zzzz i guess it's ok to run on 1.65V but what's Asus trying to say here lol , they warn us try to go for 1.5V but yet they suggest us RAM that actually runs on 1.65V :shrug:

Overall problem solved.

I had some XMS3 Corsair 1333/Cl8 modules behaving that way:
They were running at either 1.5v/1333/Cl8 or 1.65v/1600/Cl8.

Funny thing is that I got later another couple of XMS3 that I bought as 1.65v/1600/Cl8.

Both couple of modules were showing the same info in CPU-z...

I am no expert about ram, but I guess it's actually the same pysical sticks with different "internal" settings

I had some XMS3 Corsair 1333/Cl8 modules behaving that way:
They were running at either 1.5v/1333/Cl8 or 1.65v/1600/Cl8.

Funny thing is that I got later another couple of XMS3 that I bought as 1.65v/1600/Cl8.

Both couple of modules were showing the same info in CPU-z...

I am no expert about ram, but I guess it's actually the same pysical sticks with different "internal" settings

What Mobo are you using now may i ask ?

I would say you should be fine, RAM is RAM and it really doesn't matter all that much what you stick in your motherboard! :p as long as it's DDR3 in a DDR3 dimm, and as long as it's 1600+MHZ you'll be fine :p Keep in mind though most RAM is Rated for 1600mhz+ but you'll have to overclock it because most defaults are at 1333Mhz :D hope this helps :D

I would say you should be fine, RAM is RAM and it really doesn't matter all that much what you stick in your motherboard! :p as long as it's DDR3 in a DDR3 dimm, and as long as it's 1600+MHZ you'll be fine :p Keep in mind though most RAM is Rated for 1600mhz+ but you'll have to overclock it because most defaults are at 1333Mhz :D hope this helps :D

What benefit do you actually get from Overclocking your RAM ? Besides scoring in 3DMARK....that's what i heard too , its pointless to go for like those 3000Mhz if your only going to game, unless you be using to compete in OC i heard....

No, i didn't mean overclocking like that, i mean like to actually achieve the rated speed, like overclocking to a maximum of 1866 on rated 1600Mhz ram, there really isn't much of a bonus... What i'm saying is RAM in a box almost always comes standard at 1333Mhz, when in reality it says on the box 1600Mhz ram, well how does that work? there's 567Mhz missing from my speed! so you overclock up 567Mhz and get all of what you can get out of your RAM. I certainly hope you don't plan on Overclocking 1600Mhz RAM to 3000Mhz because that's a fire hazard just waiting to happen! :p

No, i didn't mean overclocking like that, i mean like to actually achieve the rated speed, like overclocking to a maximum of 1866 on rated 1600Mhz ram, there really isn't much of a bonus... What i'm saying is RAM in a box almost always comes standard at 1333Mhz, when in reality it says on the box 1600Mhz ram, well how does that work? there's 567Mhz missing from my speed! so you overclock up 567Mhz and get all of what you can get out of your RAM. I certainly hope you don't plan on Overclocking 1600Mhz RAM to 3000Mhz because that's a fire hazard just waiting to happen! :p

O that lol , well usually it's just require us to turn on the XMP Profile = p

LOL , i barely even OC my GPU , yet i dare to OC my RAM to 3000Mhz ? OC isn't really my thing lol :D Well that is if PC are very cheap , i might build one for pure overclocking for the fun of it :thup:

But even just to build a gaming rig it's really taking a toll on me :-/

Back