• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What you gonna do when they come for you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bensa

Annihilate Your PCAnnihilate Your PC
Here's how to destroy your computer before the cops haul your *** in.

By Joey the Intern

I don't know about you, but the RIAA is starting to scare the **** out of me. Every time I turn on the news there's something about the RIAA suing someone, and getting sued would really put a dent in my five-year plan. So just to be on the safe side I did some research into the wonderful world of thermite.

Thermite is a stable chemical compound that, when ignited, turns into molten iron and burns at approximately 3,000 degrees Celsius. This wonderful substance is used commercially to weld together railroad tracks. But even if you don't hang out in railroad yards, you've probably seen this substance in action already.

Remember the Hindenburg? It was a big zeppelin filled with hydrogen. As it turns out, it was even more of an accident waiting to happen than originally thought. The geniuses who designed this diesel-driven death trap wanted to give its outer hull a pretty metallic sheen. And what better shiny ingredient to add to the paint than, you guessed it, thermite! A research study proved that it was indeed a thermite reaction that ignited the zeppelin's hydrogen, resulting in the deaths of 38 people. So, please folks, don't try this at home or your house may very well end up a smoking ruin.

For the purposes of our thermite demonstration, we decided the ignition system was better off being powered by a battery than by the juice from the computer's power supply. Why? Because in a standard police raid, the first thing they do is cut the power. And how are you supposed to activate a kill switch without power? That would just be embarrassing. Also, we wanted to take this outside to get plenty of ventilation. (One of the chemicals in thermite is a known carcinogen if inhaled in large amounts.) Plus, we haven't a clue as to how many more cancer-causing vapors are released from the melting remnants of a hard drive. I think I'll just let Kevin and the video take it from here. And remember: Don't try this at home!

http://www.techtv.com/unscrewed/ihateyou/story/0,24682,3527597,00.html

Now, I know that they don't crack down on file sharing, but I'd like to know what YOU (person living in the United States or any other place where they crack down on file sharing) would do if the cops raided your house? Would you try to destroy any evidence rather than trying to get away with minor fines or receiving a criminal record?

Well, if you watch that video, you woulld know why thermite is not something you want to have in your computer. When you press that button you are going to have a huge flame that will probably light other stuff on fire.

Now that the basic safety issur is out there, there is another point that should be made. If you destroy your hard drive as the ploice knock on your dorr, you now have an additional problem. It is called "spoilation of evidence" Depending on the laws of your state, you can be assumed to be guilty of whatever they think you did. Which would be a bummer if you destroyed 20MB of MP3s only to find out that they somehow misidentified you as havving kiddie pron on your computer.

All that being said, we actually have our own thread on how to kill your computer.

Back