• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's a dremel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pnutz409

Registered
Hey oc'ers! I've been browsing the forums intensively for a week and have seen a tool called the dremel mentioned many times. I was wondering what it was, what its used for, and how to go about buying one. Thanks in advance!

WE LOVE GOOGLE...

Man.. when it comes to modding, dremel is your friend...

Dremel can used for many personal mods.... Wanna turn a reg. case into one with a side window?.. use a dremel... Wanna make it so you can see what CD you have in the drive and watch it spin?... use a dremel.. :D

Candy

Dremel is a handheld tool used to do the job of a drill, saw, circular saw and grinder all in one device on the smaller scale. A lot of the stuff we fabricate would either bend or would not even work because of the small size.

I would look for the older ones if possible Model 395 is the best one I found, lasting power, great variable speed control and it lasted through 2 house fires (neither of which was my fault *whistles*).

I would recommend the black and decker rotory tool (corded one). It has a higher amp motor (more power, higher RPM), is cheaper, accepts all Dremel accessories, and actualy feels sturdier than the dremel.

ajrettke said:
I would recommend the black and decker rotory tool (corded one). It has a higher amp motor (more power, higher RPM), is cheaper, accepts all Dremel accessories, and actualy feels sturdier than the dremel.
Probably cheaper too.

I am also interested in buying a dremel but i don't know which one to get. Can someone reccomend a model and explain why it's good? Please don't suggest anything that cannot be aquired easily at major hardware stores.
Also, should i get one of those dremel kits or just the dremel itself and buy everything else separately?

Thanks

Back