• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the best cooiler for under 35bucks for a haswell i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterlord

i might get a better cooler in time but for now what is the best cooler for a i7 4770 for around 35bucks or under. will i safely hit 4.3ghz with a 35dollar cooler as well? at 1.25v or 1.2v

Hyper212 Evo.

If you have a 4770, you can't overclock at all. You need a 4770K.

You're only going to get to 4-4.1GHz most likely.

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.

One can usually pick them up used (or sometimes new) on ebay for $20-25, sometimes less. I got one for like $15 a while back with a fan and mounting brackets for LGA775 and AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+.

Then you just have to pick up the LGA1150/1155/1156 mounting bracket, if it doesn't come with one, which can be found here for $14.99 at present.

coolermaster evo 212 does first come to mind but i think its been around awhile at this price range. it seems. i was reading somthin that just came out Scythe SCKC-2100 Grand Kama Cross2 i would so like to know more about this and if its better then an 212 evo. i like the idea of downdraft to kool the mobo.

bought to build a new rig but the cooler i have now is a zalman 9500 led old skool

i7 920 soon to upgrade to i7 4770k haswell

The 212 series is still the best budget heatsink. Nothing else is as good in the budget range.

However if you can find a used TRUE, as Tech Tweaker said, that would. be significantly better.

I agree with all the posts above, though I'll add to the buying a used one. I have a CM 212+ "not evo", a thermalright Extreme Ultra 120 and a Prolimatech Megahalems. What I have found on my I5-2500k overclocked to 4.7 is the following. The True 120 is about 10c better then the Cm 212+ and the Mehahalems is about 2-3c better then the true. All the runs were made with the same fans mounted using the same TIM. Take into account that this wasn't a scientific experiment and the room temperature may a varied a little, though the tests were run within an hours time. I picked up both the Thermalright and the Prolimatech on Ebay for $15.00 with S/H but you will have to see if either of them have the mounts for a 1150 socket. I also find the mounting mechanism for the True to be a PIA to mount compared to the Prolimatech and the Coolermaster.

The 212 series used to be best bang for the buck but that's no longer true. There are several others as good or better for similar or less money.

The GAIA doesn't perform as well, and the Zalman is the same price as the EVO.

They both perform about the same. Frostytech shows GAIA 1c better. but I figure 1-2c margin of error is reasonable.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2655&page=5

0.3c less here.
http://www.maximumpc.com/xigmatek_gaia_review

Zalman CNPS10X Performa is 0.7 warmer on Frostytech.. but I'm not believing 212 is cooler than Silver Arrow either.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2655&page=5

Bottom line is Hyper 212 has lots of competition and is not the leader of the pack.

No, it shows GAIA 1C worse.

That shows GAIA 2C worse.

The Performa is just over $45, which is more expensive than the 212 EVO.

Bottom line is, you aren't reading correctly.

No, it shows GAIA 1C worse.

That shows GAIA 2C worse.

The Performa is just over $45, which is more expensive than the 212 EVO.

Bottom line is, you aren't reading correctly.

@ ATMINSIDE, for the second one you have to make note of the ambient temperature and look for the delta. Which still shows the 212Evo ahead, but only by .4C (74-23.8=50.2 75.7-25.1=50.6)

Of note, Frostytech does not specify the ambient temperature, but it does beat it.

@ ATMINSIDE, for the second one you have to make note of the ambient temperature and look for the delta. Which still shows the 212Evo ahead, but only by .4C (74-23.8=50.2 75.7-25.1=50.6)

Of note, Frostytech does not specify the ambient temperature, but it does beat it.

Janus, they don't specify ambient because their test is a delta. Their spec is temp-ambient.

is the zalman cnps10x any better then 212 evo? cause have seen it priced for 30 at some places.

i have a old school zalman 9500led how much better are these solutions compared to what i got? i can maybe manage 45bucks but wanna keep it no more then that

CNPS10X is in same group as 212
CNPS9500LED I really don't know. At a guess it is within a few of degrees of 212.1

Silverstone AR01 and AR03 are both good coolers too.

Back