• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats wrong with my OC settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rawrzor

Registered
Hello folks,

Ive been trying to follow the settings as much as possible as they were specified on these forums. The is what I have come up with:
jDNFlox.jpg
Notice how Ive set the voltages of the CPU and the CPU/NB and the HT link speed.

With the current settings I am simply not able to clock it higher than 3.77 ghz, which my system is running at now. If I go 3.8 and beyond it will become unstable. I have also tried to increase the cpu nb voltage to 1.275 but it did not help. This is done on a phenom II 1090t CPU.

Here is a snapshot of cpuz:
G8Qb2z1.png

Any ideas whats up?

If you set the HT Link Speed manually, you should probably also set the CPU/NB speed manually as well to ensure the HT Link doesn't fall slower than the CPU/NB speed. IIRC, HT Link should never be slower than CPU/NB speed.

What mobo is this?

If you set the HT Link Speed manually, you should probably also set the CPU/NB speed manually as well to ensure the HT Link doesn't fall slower than the CPU/NB speed. IIRC, HT Link should never be slower than CPU/NB speed.

What mobo is this?

Ive set the HT link speed manually only at a later stage with the hopes of resolving my previously mentioned issue, however I will attempt to cpu/nb speed as well then. Any recommendations what it should be? I had tried 2800 before but it made my system freeze after a few minutes. Would 2600 be a good bet then?

My motherboard is Asus m4n98td evo

What type of cooler do you use?
Do you monitor the cores temperature (max 55°C on Prime95 load)?
Some Thubans like to have the CPU-NB and HT link running at the same frequency. Most need to have the HT-link between 1900 and 2200MHz max.

Edit: 1.44v seems damn high for 3.75GHz. Usually, x6 reach 3.9/4GHz with such vCore.

What type of cooler do you use?
Do you monitor the cores temperature (max 55°C on Prime95 load)?
Some Thubans like to have the CPU-NB and HT link running at the same frequency. Most need to have the HT-link between 1900 and 2200MHz max.

Edit: 1.44v seems damn high for 3.75GHz. Usually, x6 reach 3.9/4GHz with such vCore.

I havent tried prime95 but with cinebench ive hit 52 degrees max after several runs. It doesnt go beyond that. But since 1.44 is high for what I am trying to achieve, there is no obvious problem with my settings then? Could it be that my CPU itself has just degraded over the past 2 years that I have been using it? I havent started to OC it until like 2 weeks ago, before that i ran it on stock settings.

Are you using the multiplier of FSB to overclock? I see in the screen capture you have the FSB at 204 which suggests you are using the FSB to some extent.

Also since you aren't running P95, what do you mean by unstable when you say the system becomes unstable above 3.77?

I would take everything back to stock and then just use the multiplier to see if you can reach the desired clock speed.

Are you using the multiplier of FSB to overclock? I see in the screen capture you have the FSB at 204 which suggests you are using the FSB to some extent.

Also since you aren't running P95, what do you mean by unstable when you say the system becomes unstable above 3.77?

I would take everything back to stock and then just use the multiplier to see if you can reach the desired clock speed.

When i run benchmarks at 3.8ghz or higher I bluescreen, or the benchmark says an error has occured. I wouldnt mind going back to stock, but if I up the multiplier and leave the voltages at auto, the system decides i need absurd voltages and reaches 1.57 on the vcore. I can imagine that if I run at auto voltages, i will need a new cpu by the end of the week. Thus i was absolutely forced to manually set the voltages.

Other than the settings you see in the screenshot, i havent adjusted anything else. So for that matter I am not sure what the fsb multiplier is.

Do you reckon there is an actual issue with the cpu itself maybe?

Last edited:
Rawrzor, Welcome to the forums, since you are new to overclocking, I feel you need to take a step back. When new two overclocking it is important to make only one change at a time and also start out making small incremental changes. When trying to push to far to fast we can lose our way and it makes it a difficult and frustrating task. If you don't know what the FSB is then you should do yourself a favor and read this guide. It is arguably the best Phenom II guide for overclocking. Understanding, what exactly we are changing when we are trying to overclock is very helpful.

After reading that guide, you should set everything to stock. Then download CPU-Z, HWMonitor "non pro" and run prime 95 20 minutes with HWMonitor open. When finished, post a screen shot of the HWMonitor under load, and the following tabs of Cpu-z, cpu, spd and memory. Do this using the in forum attachment tool. This will give us a baseline of there you are at a stock settings.

:welcome: to OCF Rawzor
We could use some info. These things will make it easier for us to help you. First if you could put up a signature containing all the info about yoyr system, like you see at the bottom of my post. Go to quicklinks at the top of the page and select edit sig in the drop down.
Nest download and install CPU=z, HWMonitor (free) and prime95. At your last "stable" clock speed run p95 with hwmonitor open after 20 minutes tak a snip and post it here this will give us a idea of your temps/volts under load.
Also include a shot of CPU-z main tab memory tab and spd tab so we can see ram HT and NB frequencies. This is as close as we can get to your system without actually being there.

I see many beat mr to the punch. Curse these slow fingers. Ha ha

Alright, here are the results of the prime 95 test.
GNCdhAR.jpg
NNDFaGw.png
fPDxz5g.png

As for the signature, i cant make 1 yet because i dont meet the minimum post requirement. My hardware is as follows:

Asus m4n98td evo
PhenomII x6 1090t 3.76GHz/1.44v gelid tranquillo v2
2x2GB Kingston 1333 speed(cant remember the model)
Radeon HD 6870

The rest I believe can be seen in the snapshots, except for my PC case, i am not sure which 1 it is, an extremely cheap and bad 1. But the temps didnt exceed 55 degrees during the prime95 test. Unfortunately I could not see the core temps as you can see by referring to my hdmon snapshots.

I believe I have posted all necessary info here?

From what I can see you're already getting quite warm. You say you have a cheap case, haw many fans? Try the run again with the side panel off and see if you get a drop in temps.

From what I can see you're already getting quite warm. You say you have a cheap case, haw many fans? Try the run again with the side panel off and see if you get a drop in temps.

There are no fans in the case. The side panel was off during the test.

EDIT: I plan on getting another case however, the cm storm enforcer. Not sure how this will affect my temps though, but I suspect it should help.

I see if you can you're going to need at least 2. 1 in the front and one in the back to get some air moving through that thing. I know you can't see the core temps but typically on that generation the core and socket are pretty close. With alredy being at 55 you're close to the end of your oc. 60 is usually the max safe recommended temp for the core and could be a cause of your instability.
So you have a house fan you could point into the case for circulation?

In your screens of HWMoniter your core temps are all 0*C ....... this leads me to believe that you may have core unlocking enabled in your BIOS. The 1090T has only 6 core there is no need for this to be enabled as there are no core to unlock. Check your settings and disable core unlocking.

I see if you can you're going to need at least 2. 1 in the front and one in the back to get some air moving through that thing. I know you can't see the core temps but typically on that generation the core and socket are pretty close. With alredy being at 55 you're close to the end of your oc. 60 is usually the max safe recommended temp for the core and could be a cause of your instability.
So you have a house fan you could point into the case for circulation?

I have a small fan which could help. Note that the current room temperature is 27.8 degrees. I dont know how much this will affect my socket temp when the room temp drops back to 21~ degrees. However, lets assume that I will purchase the CM storm enforcer, which I will probably do right now and the temp drops by lets say 5 degrees, this does not yet explain the fact that I bluescreen while running benchmarks at 3.8 ghz or higher?

In your screens of HWMoniter your core temps are all 0*C ....... this leads me to believe that you may have core unlocking enabled in your BIOS. The 1090T has only 6 core there is no need for this to be enabled as there are no core to unlock. Check your settings and disable core unlocking.

Just checked the bios, couldnt find a setting named core unlocked. Do you happen to know if unleashing mode is the same as core unlocking? Unleashing mode is indeed enabled.

I have a small fan which could help. Note that the current room temperature is 27.8 degrees. I dont know how much this will affect my socket temp when the room temp drops back to 21~ degrees. However, lets assume that I will purchase the CM storm enforcer, which I will probably do right now and the temp drops by lets say 5 degrees, this does not yet explain the fact that I bluescreen while running benchmarks at 3.8 ghz or higher?

It does if the CPU is too hot and getting unstable. Could also mean you need more volts but I don't think you have room for that right now.
Like bassnut said check your bios screens for core unlock and disable it. Maybe we'll get a better idea of what your core temp is

Just checked the bios, couldnt find a setting named core unlocked. Do you happen to know if unleashing mode is the same as core unlocking? Unleashing mode is indeed enabled.

More than likely. Just disable it and see what happens.

I was just on Asus website and your board does show as capable to ulock cores via a switch on the motherboard.

Unleashing mode ..... when you high light it there should be a brief explanation on the top left of what it is.

I was just on Asus website and your board does show as capable to ulock cores via a switch on the motherboard.

Unleashing mode ..... when you high light it there should be a brief explanation on the top left of what it is.

I wrote down what the comment says: unleashing mode, enable unleashing mode to get full computing power of processor. Warning: system might become unstable due to different O.C. margins.

It seems like this is a viable candidate that might be causing the crashes, however a certain guide told me to keep this enabled hence I did.

Another setting which i am unsure of: Nvidia Core Calibration, doesnt explain what it is but I can set it to, All cores, or Per core.

Back