• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats wrong with my OC settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK check this switch on your motherboard .....

unlock.png

What happens if you have the unlock core enabled we cant see your core temps.

View attachment 130456

NVidea Core Calibration .......

Set this to All cores

Alright ive hit the switch on my mobo and previously also disabled unleashing mode. For some reason I still cant see my core temp and unleashing mode does not even appear in the menu anymore. I will set core calibration to all cores now and see what it does.

Alright, ive enabled "All Cores" and turned unleashing mode back on. Under all circumstances I cant see the core temps. Also, the switch on my mobo didnt make a difference in that regard.

On the other hand, I did not notice a performance difference while running cinebench with unleashing mode on and off, so I am not sure if it actually increases my performance at all?

NVidea Core calibration if my memory is right allows you to OC your core individually. Something I have never needed to play with ..... You probably wont find any difference in performance from these setting. All I was trying to do was get your core temps back. On the PII chips when you enable unlocking you loose the ability to see your core temps. After thinking about this you can reset your NVidea Core Calibration to Auto and not worry about these settings. When I was playing with my 1090T I was using an MSI FX970 GD70 board which BIOS was quiet different than yours.

NVidea Core calibration if my memory is right allows you to OC your core individually. Something I have never needed to play with ..... You probably wont find any difference in performance from these setting. All I was trying to do was get your core temps back. On the PII chips when you enable unlocking you loose the ability to see your core temps. After thinking about this you can reset your NVidea Core Calibration to Auto and not worry about these settings. When I was playing with my 1090T I was using an MSI FX970 GD70 board which BIOS was quiet different than yours.

Do you reckon the unleashing mode could explain the crashes however?

Edit, turned unleashing mode off, increases the frequency by 0.5 (3.87 ghz now), ran Cinebench and bluescreened the first second. Something else is at play here =(
Since it happens the first second, it clearly isnt the temps either. What could possibly be the issue?

Last edited:
Overclocking is a delicate combination of voltages to get your motherboard and CPU to run at higher speeds. The unfortunate part of adding more voltage to key parts such as your CPU and NB/CPU is you get higher temps. Keeping your system stable is balancing your voltage and temps within safe limits.

Going back to your screen shots your Socket temp .... TMPIN0 which is at 55*C is getting very close to your suggested max of 60*C for this PII CPU. I was never able to push my temps on my PII 1090T beyond the 55*C CPU and 60*C Socket temps with any kind of stability.

However your crashes ..... most likely in my opinion is due to heat, which is hard to tell since we cant get a core temp reading from your CPU. Maybe RGone has an idea how to get your core temps back.

There is 2 real good threads here explaining it and how best to OC the Phenom CPU. If you have not taken the time to read them that would be a great place to start.

http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594100

Try resetting the CMOS and see if that fixes the no core temp readout problem. All boards that I know of ship with core unlocker disabled so let's try to get back to factory state. If you are unable to do this then it suggests to me there is a bios problem and I would check to see if there is a later bios on the Asus website that you could flash it with. The CPU-z "Motheboard" tab will display the current bios version.

Did you get the 1090T new or used?

Rawrzor as I stated in post #8 I think you're getting to far ahead of yourself. I feel your best bet is to put everything back to factory defaults and then read the guide I posted, which is also the guide Bassnut just posted. There is more to overclocking then just Cpu speed, understanding this will help you better understand the changes you are making. The "Unleashed Mode" on your motherboard could very well be the culprit of your instability. This is why I'd rather see you put everything back to stock and start from square one. It will be a lot easier for us to help you pin point what may be causing instability when you are overclocking manually and have an understanding of exactly what you are changing.

Rawrzor as I stated in post #8 I think you're getting to far ahead of yourself. I feel your best bet is to put everything back to factory defaults and then read the guide I posted, which is also the guide Bassnut just posted. There is more to overclocking then just Cpu speed, understanding this will help you better understand the changes you are making. The "Unleashed Mode" on your motherboard could very well be the culprit of your instability. This is why I'd rather see you put everything back to stock and start from square one. It will be a lot easier for us to help you pin point what may be causing instability when you are overclocking manually and have an understanding of exactly what you are changing.

I have actually used those guides to overclock my CPU. However I could indeed attempt to redo the entire process and see what happens. On another note I found something that is specific to my mobo here: http://www.overclock.net/t/946302/official-asus-m4n98td-evo-owners-club
It states: Q. I've increased the Vcore and/or CPU/NB voltage; but my monitoring software is showing it as a lower value than I set it. Is this a problem with the software or the board?
A. This is known as "Vdroop", and is a particular problem with this board. A rough estimate puts the average Vdroop for this board up to 7-8% under load. What happens is the CPU voltage regulation decreases the voltage according to some internal algorithm. This is normal behaviour for the board, a "feature", not a bug. The workaround is to just keep bumping up the voltage until the software shows it hitting your target value.

Notice how in the screenshots I posted this is the case. Perhaps this is indeed the issue. I will try it out asap. This does only happen under load however.

You could also address vdroop through the LLC option in bios. But I don't think that's the real problem and it still doesn't explain the no show core temp problem.

You could also address vdroop through the LLC option in bios. But I don't think that's the real problem and it still doesn't explain the no show core temp problem.

Indeed it does not explain why I cant see the core temps. However I followed other peopls path who use the same mobo and upped my vcore volts in the bios to 1.51. Hwmon shows when idle that its running at 1.488 V when idle which I find a bit worrying. However under load it drops to 1.42 and fluctuates up to 1.44. This has resolved the crashes when clocking over 3.8 ghz. Ive run 4 cinebench tests at 3.86 GHZ and all of them worked without bluescreens or errors.

I think this concludes that VDROOP was indeed the problem? What are your guys' thoughts?

NO LLC on that motherboard that I am aware of with rebadged 780 to 980 Nvidia chipset.

http://www.overclock.net/t/946302/official-asus-m4n98td-evo-owners-club
[Official]ASUS M4N98TD EVO Owner's Club.

Page #9.
Asus m4n98td evo << That mobo has REAL Vdroop and gives plenty of headaches because of Vcore drooping so much.
AHHHH is there any mods to control this crazy vdroop? I seem to remember reading about a vdroop mod some where on the web, just cant find it now. I mean mine will go from 1.4875 cpu volts and drop all the way to 1.376 when P95ing and when trying for a crazy over clock sometimes crash it when the vdroop takes over. sorry for the early morn rant. lol the ONLY thing I hate about this board. eek:

April 2011 time frame.
Ugh, I remember having this board, I barely could get it stable at 3.7GHz with 1.55v. I changed to the MSI NF980 board, and I hit 3.9GHz @ 1.456v, but no further. I think it's the 980a chipset that the Thubans aren't liking, because 4GHz seems to be a wall for a lot of 980a + 1055T users.

7/19/2013 Page #59.
My current rig is

M4N98TD EVO
1090t at 3.7 (wont run quicker on one of the cores, although not done a huge amount of tweeking due to vdrop).

So 59 pages about the ASUS M4N98TD EVO and the users are still up to their ears in alligators with that motherboard.

June of 2013:
AMD 1090T X6 at 3.9Ghz at 1.5375V

Still Vdrooping and big amounts of Vcore are needed to get somewhat stable.

When I saw the "M4N" in the boards model name, I knew there would be problems with overclocking.
RGone...

Back