• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where's half or my memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you asked about the "half my memory" switch in windows...go into msconfig and click the boot tab, then click advanced options. in that window there is a setting for maximum memory. maybe it's checked and set to use only 4gb?

Sorry... Way back a while ago, I thought I clarified that I checked msconfig and the max memory was not set. Also Linux saw only 4GB of the 8GB of memory. And the BIOS reported that it only had 4GB, even tho the memory-z pages of the BIOS clearly shows all the DIMMS for 8GB. Removing 1/2 the DIMMS shows 2GB usable out of the 4GB that is installed. I suspect an Alienware / DELL hack/ policy that reduces the memory when too many items of the system [or key items like the system disk] are changed to non-DELL counter parts. Who know what evil lurks in the hearts of those Alien BIOS implementations? umhahahaha

I gave up and upgraded the system with an ASUS B85ME-E mb, Core i7-4770, and 16GB memory.

Now, of course, windows will not boot. I guess the problem is that the the new MB does not have Intel RAID hardware and windows is hardwired for a system disk driver when it installs. Windows Blue Screens and reboots unless booted into Recovery mode. It doesn't stay around long enough to find out why it crashes. And of course, none of the recovery options work. But the system hardware is just fine.

One of the interesting problems with the upgrade is that the support plate behind the water cooler was screwed to the case, and of course did not align with the new MB. But I was able to unscrew the plate from the case, double-stick tape it in place to the back of the MB and the case, and then install the water cooler. The case has no back access to the processor. I've installed water coolers from two other manufacturers and they both have plates that bolt to the back of the MB and not the case. I guess the DELL/Alienware mod makes it easier to install in a factory, but sort of a pain when a new MB moves the position of the processor.

Anyway, the hardware is all working now. I've booted SpinRite to check the disks, Memtest86 to test the now present new 16GB, and Windows 7 Recovery from the DVD.

Maybe I'll just get my stuff off the system SSD and reinstall windows. We'll see.
A while ago, I had two Linux systems with completely different processors and mother boards - from different manufacturers. I swapped the hard drives and both systems booted flawlessly. Seems like windows is much less robust in the face of upgrades than it could be. After all, it's willing to load drivers on the fly for almost everything. Why would it give me a Starting Windows animation and then Blue screen due to a different driver for the system disk [no longer Intel RAID chip on this MB]? Why not just do a driver search for the hardware it did have or use the BIOS - like the recovery state? Oh well.

And all 16GB of the memory is available now.

Thanks to all for your efforts.

- ww

Last edited:
Make sure AHCI mode is set on the SSD for the new MB. If in IDE mode it will BSOD almost instantly at the animation. g/l

Z

Back