• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which amd proc to get / mobo help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadOnion

I've chosen to get a new amd setup after my p4 2.4b messing up. I'm now finalizing what to get, i want something that obviously has a great price/performance ratio... and something that is very overclockable, but is very noob friendly (im new to overclocking). I've been reading that the xp-m series is great, so im deciding which one to get.

First off, newegg is selling two xp-m 2400+ bartons, one is 35watt and one is 45watt, the 35watt is $10 more, is that worth it?

I've chosen that these two are probably the best, the 2500+ is $2 more... but are there any hidden secrets why the 2400+ might be a better choice for overclocking and what not?

wheres the link for the 2500+ http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=19-103-401&depa=0 $89

heres the link for the 35watt 2400+
http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=19-103-439&depa=0 $87

Which one should i be getting?

Now for motherboards, i've been reading alot about these. I see that the nf7-s is very popular, $87 off newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=13-127-166&depa=0

Is this overclock friendly? i hear there are built in settings, that with just one setting i can bump it up?

Also, will these previous p4 peices fit into the nf7-s/xp2400/2500 and work good? My nvidia geforce4 ti4200, and my samsung pc2700 512mb tcb3 ram? And my regular 60gig 7200rpm (ata?) drive.

For overclocking, i dont want to go major or anything and do mods on the chip, but i do want to get a nice boost out of it. Which links should i follow? i've been reading alot in general on the boards, but i want to make sure i got everything straight. How much speed can i count on getting out of this combo without any physical mods?

The NF7-s is a great overclocking mb.... If you want the best bang for the buck go with the mobile 2600.... It overclocks the highest of all the mobile barton processors.... If you're strapped for cash or just don't have a desire to overclock like a madman then go with the mobile 2500..... I have the 2400m 45w and the 2500m 45w and I like them both..... wish I had a 2600m if that means anything to you.

Is this overclock friendly? i hear there are built in settings, that with just one setting i can bump it up?
Like mentioned above, you made the right choice. Get the 2600XP, a good cooling fan, if you want to overclock. I see you have 2700 Samsung memory, that might be your bottleneck, right there. If you can get BH-5 ram or read this long thread here, it tells you what ram some guys are using to get insane FSB with this mobo. All the other staff from the Intel platform should be compatible, without any problem. This mobo has a lot of support in this forum, as you can see from that thread there is a lot of bios available from many people. You will also need to do what is called the L12 bridge trick details can be gathered from here, this will enable you to get over 220FSB and beyond, provided you have good ram, and cooling your mosfet area to some extent and good luck of course.....I suggest you play around with all the mods and bios once you have tested the mobo and know its personality, just from the stock staff you have. You will have pleasure with this mobo......enjoy

The cpu comes in as 266fsb double pumped right? so it'll be 133fsb in the bios? and whats the default multipler? 15? for the 2600+. So to keep my pc2700 in a 1:1 ratio i could oc to 166fsb? giving me roughly 2.5ghz? past that, i'd need to get pc3200 ram? Anyway, great to here that the mobo is good heh.

Also, if let say im going to stop at pc2700 speeds, so 166fsb. It would be much more cost efficient to just get the m2400+ right? since i would just oc it to 166 and stop there. 2600+ for higher stock speeds, and a higher max oc if i get pc3200,etc. right?

edit -

hmm, something is wrong here or im just calculating it wrong? lets take this xp-m 2500+ for example.

Processor: XP 2500+ Mobile Barton processor
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
mhz: 1830 MHZ
Bus: 266MHZ
Stepping: IQYHA
Multiplier: 11 (Unlocked)
Voltage: 1.45V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket A

wouldn't it run 133 x 11 = 1,463? i thought it was 1830 stock? how do you calculate this correctly?

3) ok ok im asking alot of questions, but i want to know about everything.

http://www.techtastic.ca/reviews3/mobile-barton-2500-2.html

in this article/review, the guy says "From this point on i started raising the multiplier only. The reason for this, is i know that the current ram in the test system, Corsair XMS pc2700, won't do more than 200mhz. Not too bad considering its stock settings are 166 mhz. "

can my pc2700 run at 200fsb at no prob? or is it just because his was corsair xms? wll it run perfectly fine?

Last edited:
if i remember right, the bartons have stock 166mhz FSB double pumped to 333mhz. or if you get the 3200+ its 200mhz double pumped to 400mhz.

i would think that your ram should be able to run at 200mhz, but no garentees, if it cant then you need some new ram, these mobile XP's love FSB speed, and they love to run in Async (fsb equal to ram speed) wich yeilds the best performance, I would say the best Ram speed for the Mobile XP's is about PC3700 up, not that pricy though, if you go with ADATA HyperRam, you can get it here, www.komusa.com and just click on the hyperram link on the left side. and just make sure you get dual channel, not sure on the Northwood B's, but the NF7-S supports Dual Channel ram and it kick major booty! hehe

According to this website the 2500+ M is 14*133 = 1866 MHZ

As the reguard to your ram, every ram is different. I have 3 sticks of 512MB Corsair PC3200 C2 Ram and all of them tops out @ different speed (I bought them @ different times of the year.) There is no way to tell how far your ram will go. However, if you change your cas settings to say 3-8-8-8 then i'm quite positive that it will run. But the performance will take a hit.

The best solution for you is to set the fsb @ 166 and raise the multiplier until it is unstable and then lower it by .5 (you might have to raise the voltage to get to higher multipliers)

Hope this helps,
HC

so the stock multi is 14? whats the max without physical mods? i thought one of the stickies said "past 13 multi" you have to connect two pins with a wire?

So i should just keep pushing the fsb till 200 and if it stays stable, great? will that still be considered a "1:1" ratio? or do i have to setup some settings? So hitting the fsb to 200 will give a good performance boost right? or just do like hc said, and leave it at 166 then up the multi?

edit: so which procs should i go with? the xp-m 2500+ or the xp-m 2600+? are they the same thing except the 2600 has 200 more stock mhz? I remember reading some cpu models are better then others, and i've read alot of great reviews for the m2500+, do those apply to the 2600+ too?

Last edited:
woundnt a small a64 setup be better than this, the performance would just really rock compaired to what you are going to build.

Jess1313

Well, i havn't done much research about the 64. Mostly because of budget, but are they real worth it? for a mobo/cpu combo i wouldn't want to spend more then 190-200 at most.

ok i have to read more info about the different types, but the best possible one for a 2800+ is the CG Newcastle for overclockability? Also, should i spend more money for the 3000+? are there any hidden bonuses? or just more clock speed?

Also, will my old stuff fit/work? samsung pc2700 512mb tcb3, nvidia geforce4 ti4200, and the zalman cnps7000b-cu.

I know my ram would probably be my bottleneck right? what do you reccomend to get for ram? I'm basically looking for a good price though, i dont want to spend mega bucks on pc4000 turbo ram,etc.

Check out the link in my sig, should help.

The 3000+ has a higher multiplier, but the 2800+ shouldn't be a problem. Your memory will be the bottleneck, but the old memory will work fine. There's really no good cheap ram that I know of. :( Some of the Corsair Value Select has been overclocking extremely well, but its luck of the draw.

the Newcastle is the best S754 OCer. I would most definatly get it. and for cheap ram. Try ADATA, here is teh link www.komusa.com either get the HyperRam or the plain-jane stuff, it all OC's pretty well.

And yes all of your stuff will fit, unless you decided to make them all funky shaped ;)

I am pretty sure that it will go fine, and even if you just run the Ram, and OC, you will still get a huge increase over the Athlon XP, see, with the A64, you need the Athlon XP to be 200-300mhz faster just be at the same level. but when you start talking about Memory accessing, it just goes through the roof. due to the A64's on die memory controller.

only thing i dont think will fit, is the cooler, its meant for the socket 478 P4 and you need something for the Socket 754, like the Thermalright SLK-948U, it can be found here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-109-114&depa=0

yes it can be found cheaper, but that is what you are looking for. couple that with a good 92mm fan, like a Panaflo, or a Thermaltake Smart Fan II, and you will be good to go and OC! good luck!

Back