• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which cable should I use for a 144Hz monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exteez

I have two choices for a monitor. Either: BenQ XL2411Z or Asus VG248QE. Which one would be the best? Would it be better to spend the extra £40 for the Asus?

Then the other question I have is: Which cable should I use for this high end monitor?

DVI-I (Single or dual?)
DVI-D (Single or dual?)
HDMI
DisplayPort

Some say a lot of different answers. I've asked on different forums and got some different answers. Can I have your professional opinions please? I would like to also know why one is superior than the other.

Thanks, Exteez!

DVI-D- Speed 9.9 Gbps Bandwidth
HDMI - Speed 10.2Gbps Bandwidth

I've just checked the specs of the cables above and the HDMI seems to be slightly better in the bandwidth speed, does that matter? And what is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I read the DVI doesn't allow more than 60hz, am I right? It doesn't say so for the HDMI tho, what do you think?

display port is the better connector with the most bandwidth. all of the 4k monitors that make 60hz at said resolution are on this connector and hdmi is limited to 30hz at same res

display port is the better connector with the most bandwidth. all of the 4k monitors that make 60hz at said resolution are on this connector and hdmi is limited to 30hz at same res

That's what I read on the internet. But if it's limited to 60hz at 4k, it will not be limited za 1080p? What is the limited of Display port at 1080p?

Dual link DVI or displayport both work fine for 144Hz. Standard DVI will not handle 144Hz, but dual link will. Most 144Hz panels should come with a dual link DVI cable. (I know my VG248QE did)

If a monitor supports DVI-I will it also support DVI-D? I am looking particularly at: BenQ XL2411Z monitor

That monitor has dual link DVI.

Look at this chart:
DVIQA.jpg

The answer that I am looking for if it says a on a monitor that it has a "DVI" video input, does it have both DVI-I and DVI-D? What I read on the monitor specs is this;

Video Inputs: DVI, HDMI Standard, VGA/SVGA D-Sub, Stereo 3 D

It says DVI, so does it have DVI-I DVI-D, both? how does that work!

edit: Also will the monitor come with DVI-D or DVI-I cable?

I'm asking all these because in my research I can't find those specific things

Last edited:
You need to look at the pins and compare to the chart I posted if it doesn't specify which type of DVI.

Yes it uses dual link DVI, people can say displayport all day, but DVI is still the "thing to use" for these panels. If you google information or even simply visit Amazon, you will see it uses DVI-DL.

It comes with the needed cable for operating at 144Hz.

I don't think you guys understand, lol. My question was if it uses DVI-I or DVI-D.... I know it uses Dvi-DualLink, but is it Dvi-I or Dvi-D ?????

Whoops, yes it is DVI-D. Still though, it comes with the required DVI-DL cable needed.

Quick question. Would the HDMI be better then the DVI D port?? I have Hdmi on my monitor and graphics card. Right now im using the dvi d port.

Back