• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which cable should I use for a 144Hz monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That depends on what monitor you have... With HDMI you will NOT be going above 60Hz, so if you have a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor, you will NEED to use DVI-DL or Displayport.

The colors might be a little better on the BenQ but not $40 better. I own the Asus and I'm happy with it. Use the ICC profile in this review to get far more accurate colors. More than enough for gaming and video.

Im just using the Dual link DVI that it came with. I did buy a cheap DisplayPort cable as some Amazon reviewers claim they work but it only got me 60Hz. Maybe there are some that do.

I wanted to try a DP cable because the rear input design on the Asus and the stiffness of the DVI cable mean that you will see it under the panel. The red cable routing bracket on the back of the stand doesn't help. I've gotten used to it.

It is actually recommended by the reviewer of that exact review to NOT use ICC profiles for gaming. This is an email regarding a discussion I was having with him,

Adam Simmons said:
“Some applications, such as games, use their own gamma values and colour system and will either incorrectly apply (even if enforced using software) or ignore the profile. To that end we won’t be using the ICC profile for the testing in our review and will simply be using the test settings above”

Won't matter which you use.

Actually, it might. On my HP 2311x *not positive on the model*, HDMI only displayed 1080p with an almost 1" margin across every edge of the screen, no matter what other settings I chose, be it monitor or driver/system. DVI is the only way I could get a full screen image. My suggestion is to try both. HDMI may very well work better with that monitor, or it may be like mine and prefer DVI.

Actually, it might. On my HP 2311x *not positive on the model*, HDMI only displayed 1080p with an almost 1" margin across every edge of the screen, no matter what other settings I chose, be it monitor or driver/system. DVI is the only way I could get a full screen image. My suggestion is to try both. HDMI may very well work better with that monitor, or it may be like mine and prefer DVI.

That's a programming issue, not an interface issue.
Very few monitors will ever run in to what you saw. Honestly, I'd be asking HP about it.

That's a programming issue, not an interface issue.
Very few monitors will ever run in to what you saw. Honestly, I'd be asking HP about it.

Hm. Well, thanks for the response on that. I would like to see the source on that, or at least some experimentation proving so, but I do believe you.

Honestly, I bought the monitor at Staples because the salesperson did a very good job. I've since discovered that rarely do salespeople know what they're selling, and don't take their advice anymore. I'm sure that it's some sort of gimmick to make that particular monitor more appealing in some way.

Hm. Well, thanks for the response on that. I would like to see the source on that, or at least some experimentation proving so, but I do believe you.

Honestly, I bought the monitor at Staples because the salesperson did a very good job. I've since discovered that rarely do salespeople know what they're selling, and don't take their advice anymore. I'm sure that it's some sort of gimmick to make that particular monitor more appealing in some way.

Experimentation? I've used two different LG monitors, three different Dell monitors, and a couple of friends monitors that I don't recall a brand/model of.
None of them did what's happening with your monitor on HDMI.

What it sounds like you're seeing is overscan compensation, but that typically happens more on AMD than nVidia.
Did you try adjusting your overscan? If the computer's setting is all the way to full screen, then the monitor has a permanent overscan setting on HDMI causing this issue.

It is actually recommended by the reviewer of that exact review to NOT use ICC profiles for gaming. This is an email regarding a discussion I was having with him,

Right. Most games will ignore the profile. You can tell which games don't.

In the two months Ive been using this monitor and the profile I have found one obscure openGL game that didn't. Just use Display Profile and turn it off.

My comment about it being more than enough for gaming and video was just an overall impression. Before the ICC profile it is 93% sRGB at 144 Hz. That's more than adequate for a gaming monitor.

That BenQ might be around 95-97%. He'd notice but not really worth paying more.

Last edited:
Back