• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which DDR to get, Crucial or Mushkin ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have 3-256meg sticks of Crucial PC2100 an 1-256meg stick of Corsair PC2400. I have a Epox 8K7A+ an a Abit KG7 on these two mobo's I have tested all the sticks an will run 174fsb cas 2 on the KG7 the Corsair tops the Crucial by a little 176 fsb cas2. At 178fsb cas2 on the KG7 when Win 2000 loads the video has artifacts in it. You can't go wrong with Crucial for the price.

Now i need a new power supply, right now i have a Enermax 350 P4 power supply, these have problems with the 5v line and are loud when both fans are at full blast. I want something with a real strong 5v line, The Antec PP412X looks nice, 400 watt P4. Does the Antec have a Stable and consistent 5V line ? At the moment my 5v line is running low with the enermax, it's gonna be lower because on the Epox 8K7A, it draws more current from the 5V line. Does the enermax have something where you can tweak the voltage or something ?

I use an Antec 403 and have been very happy with it. I did adjust the five volt rail through a small adjuster screw located within the unit. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS, if done while the computer is running. I adjusted it with Motherboard monitor running till I had 5.0 under load. Adjusted it while running a test program with display from Mobo monitor on foreground. You should be aware that the 8k7a (even with a voltage mod) will not go much over 2.1 on vcore. With a voltage mod I ran it up as high as 2.64 yet as soon as it was under load Motherboard monitor reported it at 2.08. For this reason I reverted to my KT7a as I can get another 40 Mhz out of it and the set voltage is the voltage under load. Have been following the Shuttle conversations and am beginning to look in that direction. Looks like ram speed is good and it will take a good voltage mod, bonus is that it is cheap.

One more thing, adjusting the 5 volt rail will also raise the 12 volt as they are adjusted by the same screw. Do this in very small increments. Should the ps shut down on you, adjust the screw back a little and wait for the psu to cool down then power it up and check again. Hope this helps.

Haha you guys complain about alot of noise, and until today 3 hours ago I couldn't agree. My theory was if you wan good temps and you are not willing to accept a side effect from your low temps then you aren't up to the task of achieving low temps nor will with AIR cooling... My case has 2 fans on the board one 2100 RPM on the south bridge, one on the CPU which is 8,000 RPM loud as a mother ****er, louded then my 7400RPM but the 8k RPM can push 50CFM, Well I also got a Whisper enermax PSU... with the 2 fans, I got 120mm (121CFM) on the top, and 2 80 mm fans on front, and one on the back also... this is some crazy *** noise I can understand you all now... But hey I run @ 42C with high volts and High Overclockage on a hot room so am satisfied with the temps I receive from the noise...

awwww crap. My abit KT7 is rappidly becoming more of a piece of crap, Maybe it's just windows 98, but i'm about to rip it out of my case, drive to my friends house, put it in the fire pit, dump some gun powder on it, and drop a match on it. I'm serious !!! this thing is a refurb from abit to replace a dead borad, but i had sent them a new board. I demanded a new one but they wouldn't listen(go figure, it's abit). so far all of the com ports dont work, and it's unstable as hell. I am going to try to get a new board soon, but i dont really know what to do with the old one, satisfy my anger and blow it up, take a few pics, post em up here and send a few to abit :), or try to put all of this behind me, and sell the board for $40 - $70 to get some of the $135 i paid for it, either way i come out happy :). Really what i need now is a good overclocking board, forget abit (i hate them) and forget ASUS (to expensive). i want something with a AMD760 chipset prefferably. The Epox 8K7A is a big ? mark at the moment, because of PSU issues( i have a enermax). So what else is there ?

I know it sounds strange but I am seriously thinking about giving the Shuttle a try. It can be over volted, kt266a and has good speed. What the heck, only 80 dollars at Newegg.

UPDATE : i tried installing windows 2000 pro and after the first few boot ups i was already getting problems. There are 2 capacitors near the socket that are damaged, since the board is a refurb, the guy/girl who had it before me was using a Chrome Orb, these must be modified to fit, but it was not and it damaged the casing both of the capacitors, and they are bent back a bunch, before i go gun powdering this thing i'm gonna try and replace these things, since i know how to solder. I know for sure these capacitors arent funtioning properly.

I am willing to give shuttle a try, the voltage mod looks easy enough and simple. I want something whithout 5v line problems. I dont want to take a risk on having another board like this thing

I opened up my Enermax PSU today. There are no adjustments at all, i know what the adjuster screws look like and i saw none. I may just go ahead get a 8KHA+ and do the votage mod. I think i have one of the those wonder chips that will overclock very easily.It's a factory unlocked AXIA 1200. I have managed to post it a 1500, but on a KT7 non "A" version with, ram, mobo, and cooling limitations, i didn't get more than it posting at 1500, but with water cooling, enough voltage, and some good ram i think i can get this thing to 1600+, i like how the 8KHA+ has the 15x multiplier and the bus speed up to 166.

Back