• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which GPU is better for this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jordanOC

Hey guys, this is my first custom build, and I'm looking to find out which GPU would be better overall, and along with an answer I would like to know the reason WHY. Specifcly. a 770 or a 7970?

Cpu:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor
Just to check, is this the newest, fasted AMD cpu? Of course that isn't insanely priced?

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877
Just making sure, is that a really nice mobo? The best I could buy for an AMD build?

What are you using it for?

770 is more powerful, but the 7970 is $70-90 cheaper and has an extra GB of vRAM + wider memory bus. Whether that actually helps or not depends on the game and resolution.

Taken from the latest video card review on TPU:
perfrel_1920.gif

Cpu:

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877
Just making sure, is that a really nice mobo? The best I could buy for an AMD build?

The Sabertooth is a good board and will combine with 8350 nicely. With good cooling you can easily overclock that 8350 to 5.0GHz with this board.

Is it the best you could buy? That's arguable because there are a few really good boards out there. Some might argue that the ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z is the best. There's also the ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 with its 12+2 Power phase that's certainly in the Top 5 boards for AMD.

I have the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and I don't regret buying it for a second. It's a great board, overclocks really well and has enough features for what I need. You won't go wrong with this board.

Any of the 3 motherboards Zebodog said, but i would not use any other motherboard with that CPU! AJ.

770 because of what everyone else said.

Additionally, I like some of the 'extras' that an nVidia card brings to the table in general. You've got fun little things like Physx - sure not huge but it's a nice addition in borderlands. And you've also got things like the nVidia Shield, which might not be in the future, but the option is there! Tack on the solid 770 performance and strong driver support and you've got a package that's hard to beat.

One thing to mention, I'd recommend the 4gb version of it. Some people may think I'm crazy, saying reviews don't show performance differences between 2gb and 4gb, problem is those reviews aren't testing correctly. Another myth is that 'once a game uses that much memory, the card won't have enough power to even run a usable framerate.' Texture size and framerate performance are independent unless you just don't have the vram to support it. A first hand example of this is a modded skyrim. On my 770 4gb (in my other rig) I use about 3.4gb. On my 780gtx it uses 2.8gb, same Skyrim install (This is why you can't compare btw.. the system will scale to what you have. So you can't say "Well on my 2gb card it only uses 1.7GB so that's all it will use on a 4GB card!") Anyway, moving on, my old gtx 295 would use all it's 768MB of vram (same modded skyrim) - the card had the power but the VRAM was trying to work so hard it caused massive stutters. I'd run a clean 60fps standing still or even in a fight scene, but once a new texture needed to be loaded, it would stutter until the texture was loaded up. I also EVERY once in awhile can get a stutter with the 780 that the 4GB 770 doesn't have (I have to almost try to make it happen though.) Also worth noting, I have zero FPS changes going from super high res textures on a 780 to low res. The texture fills happen over the VRAM - outside of any processing that's actually happening. The GPU itself could care less how large the textures are (file-size wise) - it's the memory that's going to have the biggest direct impact on that (which to be perfectly honest, in most games is no difference at all.) It's when you have MORE textures that the GPU cares, not what each individual texture size IS. I hope that makes sense! This also explains why almost all reviews out there show no difference between 2GB and 4GB VRAM. The testbed is not accurate. And, admittedly, we haven't hit that era yet in gaming where it's even possible to easily simulate the right environment. But that might be changing VERY soon!!!

Anyway, I say all that to say this, these NEW games coming out are a question mark as far as how much VRAM they'll use. John Carmack did make mention at QuakeCon at one point that he's looking forward to the extra memory of next gen consoles so he doesn't have to bother with compressing all his textures. It'll be interesting to see if that overflows to us in the PC world. What will it mean? It's going to mean that, those with 4gb "pointless" cards are now going to see some very real-world, tangible benefits! (that is, sexy sexy textures)

At only $50 difference between the 2GB 770 and 4GB 770, it's almost a no brainer.

Last edited:
the problem with the 770 4gb is now, it's $450 and a 7970 can be had for 300.
Is the 770 better? yes, but is it 33% better? not from the benchmarks I've seen

^this.
And most 7970 oc to 1200/1700 minimum...

A question: why a FX cpu? A 4670k is already faster@stock than a [email protected]. And no need for an expensive mobo and cooling solution to take it to 4.5ghz. An hyper212($30) and an asrock z87 extreme4($130) will do the job.

Last edited:
What are you trying to do with the computer?

Assuming gaming:
What resolution are you running?
How many monitors?
What games?

Sorry but I have to disagree on this ^^^.

What are you trying to do with the computer?

Assuming gaming:
What resolution are you running?
How many monitors?
What games?

You also need to answer this ^^^. Have to know what you are doing with your pc before a good recommendation can be given.

But... The price of a single 770 4gb is more than 2x7950. I'd go with the 2x7950.

^you must have been unlucky: out of the 12 7970's my buddy and I use for mining (sapphire dual-x), all do 1200+/1750+ stable 24/7. And they are among the cheapest ones.

^this.

A question: why a FX cpu? A 4670k is already faster@stock than a [email protected]. And no need for an expensive mobo and cooling solution to take it to 4.5ghz. An hyper212($30) and an asrock z87 extreme4($130) will do the job.

This, but then again i do see AMDs really making gains in the next year or two with the new gen consoles. We are going to see more and more games with 4+ core optimisation. I think AMDs will make up some ground Vs the intels 4cores ( withou HT) like the 4570k etc.

I am doing a serious budget build for my cuz with a 8320 because its 120 and the closest intel would be a second hand 2500k 2nd hand for around the same price. ( i also have a am3+ mobo lying about which i am giving to him so thats a way to save too.) but honestly the 8320/50 are decent CPU's and with vid encoding etc they hold their own Vs the Intel 4770k etc. At this price build though and because you dont already have a mobo i would suggest getting a cheaper asrock mobo and a more expensive intel 4770k and you are getting better performance right there. :attn:

Last edited:
Agreed.
That's why I keep my old thuban setup, still rocking every game with the 40% oc: waiting to see if steamroller keeps its promise...

Back