• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is better? higher RAM or FSB speed?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

I've been hitting a brick wall with my 2.8C at 3.5Ghz 250FSB with my RAM running 5:4 200Mhz. (also see my sig) Now today I'm fiddling around trying to find out what could be holding me back besides the CPU itself. To my suprise I'm currently running at 3.15Ghz 225FSB with my RAM running 1:1 225Mhz, both SETI and Prime95 have been running for hours now and general system-performance-wise I can't really notice any difference, but the last two SETI WU times seem to have been slightly lower. I also love the fact that the CPU is running this at stock Voltage, Vdimm is at 2.65V

FSB speed is more important b/c it also increases CPU speed. But the more you raise the FSB past the RAM speed, you will start to see diminishing returns, since the memory starts to bottlneck the CPU.

So what you are guessing could be true. Even though you lowered the FSB and cpu speed, you may see an improvement, since now the RAM is running faster and the CPU is no longer being held back.

But, I would rather run at 3.5 at 4:5 than 3.1 at 1:1. Its hard to know without benching it, but I would assume the 3.5 system would be faster overall.

you could try running our teams benchmark with dif settings
and see which one gives you the lowest time. i don't know how to
determine the time in the result.sah file. maybe someone can post
that knows :).

BTW, you might wanna try giving your RAM some more juice. i've had
good results with more voltage.

i dunno bout ASUS boards but my IS7 will run stable at X 1:1, but the
memory won't run as high at 5:4 or 3:2.

HTH

c_h

Ditto - benchmark it for actual results. It's too difficult to guess. It really depends on a number of factors, so it would be prudent to run tests.

yes, i'll also say do our seti benchmark to see which way is faster. even tho i guess vote for the 3.5ghz since it's 300+mhz difference....

in the result.sah file, find the line say cpu_time=xxxx.xxxx divid that time to 3600 'cos it's in second, and you'll get x.xx hr :cool:

in the result.sah file, find the line say cpu_time=xxxx.xxxx divid that time to 3600 'cos it's in second, and you'll get x.xx hr :cool:

good to know so we can tweak our systems for maximum performance
running SETI@Home.

thanks LandShark :D

c_h

Back