• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is more powerful, AMD 900mhz or Intel 900mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damarble

I know with the newer CPU's, an AMD 2.4ghz will slaughter an Intel 2.4ghz. But what about the older CPU's? Back then the gap wasnt so far apart, right?

well, i with the k6 processors, amd wasn't that great. i'd rather have a 500mhz p3 than a 500mhz k6-2. but with the athlon, amd was a very viable cpu. a 1 ghz athlon was pretty close to a 1ghz p3, and they cost less.

I had versions of both 900 chips. The P3 was a tad smoother. Plus if you have the Irongate/Viper chipsets(AMD) it don't play very good with nVidia and sound was a joke.

Hmmm, didn't the Athlon perform 9 calculations per cycle where the older P4 were only
6 per cycle?
That why the Athlon had such screwy numbering system. Trying to dispell the myth
that Mhz was the only factor for processing speed

i.e. - 1667mhz CPU = 2000+

Susquehannock said:
Hmmm, didn't the Athlon perform 9 calculations per cycle where the older P4 were only
6 per cycle?
That why the Athlon had such screwy numbering system. Trying to dispell the myth
that Mhz was the only factor for processing speed

i.e. - 1667mhz CPU = 2000+

The PR system AMD used was to show how fast Athlon thunderbird's needed to be to keep up with the Athlon XP's. I think only the XP's do more per clock cycle than Intel; due to Atlon XP's QuantiSpeed Architecture

Back