• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which should I get: Zalman, Hyper 520, V8, other

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a pretty small footprint actually...you should oc those too. 1600mhz cl9 is the sweetspot currently. Ivy bridge will bring higher multipliers and an improved ic.
Perhaps you can push those higher than that.

I'm guessing the true spirit 140 would fit with that kind of ram sticks.
Otherwise the hr-02 macho offers some ram clearance and is a kick *** cooler.

Running the ram you linked, you shouldn't have any problems with most coolers. Of the 3 you linked in the first post, the Zalman 9900 Max is the best choice, but there are better choices. The True Spirit 140 costs around $53 delivered and is quite a bit better than the Zalman. The NZXT Havik 120 is also a better performer at the $50 price point. Neither of these 2 heatsinks give much clearance problems on Intel and that is a non-issue with your ram of choice anyways.

Yeah, but V8 has rubbish performance considering the price range it sits in.

My vote goes with the Phanteks PH-TC14PE for $79.99 after rebate. Considering its copied and improved upon the Noctua NH-D14 design you really can't go wrong, especially as it comes out cheaper.

The ram you have will fit under this beast no worries.

I'd not worry about it dude. The Noctua is still one sweet cooler. Depending on what review you look at, the Phanteks is either a few degree's cooler or about the same. Most I've looked at show it marginally beating the Noctua though, probably because it has two additional cooling fins.

I still prefer the looks of the Noctua myself, unless you looks at the black Phanteks unit. Thing is, they're charging $99.99 + shipping for that. Completely not worth it.

I'd not worry about it dude. The Noctua is still one sweet cooler. Depending on what review you look at, the Phanteks is either a few degree's cooler or about the same. Most I've looked at show it marginally beating the Noctua though, probably because it has two additional cooling fins.

I still prefer the looks of the Noctua myself, unless you looks at the black Phanteks unit. Thing is, they're charging $99.99 + shipping for that. Completely not worth it.

30 more bucks for a black cooler? lol

I ordered a Noctua nh-c14 cause I was going to get a CHEAP NZXT Vulcan, which wouldn't fit anything better.
I have a 2600k atm. :rain:

Yeah, thats my point of view too. Who cares what it looks like. Just go with what cools best at the cheapest price.

The case I've a different point of view on though. I go with the best engineered premium quality case I can find. That really means either Silverstone or Lian Li.

Lol yah, same with my case, the Silverstone TJ04-E. I went with the windowed version to show off me bits :p

Why does that sound dirty? :shock:

Cause it is!
:p
Geek pr0n is always nice though...

I like the old school front to back airflow pattern and the size/weight/classy looks, plus the Lian Li build quality is top notch -as is Silverstone, which is my other favourite case brand, though they're TOO expensive here-

EDIT: and with that I mean TOO FRIGGIN expensive.

Yeah, it's a bit of a reversal in Australia. Silverstone is actually cheaper than Corsair. The Silverstone styling, design and build quality make it an easy choice over Corsair for me. Tool free doesn't matter to me much as I picked up a sweet Ozito Electric Screwdriver a while back for $30 ;)

This case is the first I've ever had with a side window. Mst cases I don't like the side window on. I then went an installed 4x 10cm red Sunbeam CCFL's to light up the interior so I can show off to other geeks passing through ;)

It's actually rather pleasant. Not as bright as other CFL colours and balances out the understated design so it doesn't look bland. The thing that really had me solf was the side air intakes blowing onto heatsinks for the hard drives. I just love that concept! :thup:

Cause it is!
:p
Geek pr0n is always nice though...

I like the old school front to back airflow pattern and the size/weight/classy looks, plus the Lian Li build quality is top notch -as is Silverstone, which is my other favourite case brand, though they're TOO expensive here-

EDIT: and with that I mean TOO FRIGGIN expensive.

Wow, the Windowed version is $332 over here. I can't believe it coests so much over there. Mind you, I'll never spend more than $200 on a computer case. Much better off looking at the TJ04-E. The Windowed version of that is only about $160

Last edited:
Back