• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Tubing, & Fittings/Joins etc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks mate, noted & understood... kinda! :D

All you need bottom line, is to keep track of the temps from the built-in sensors.

You mean the diodes built into all CPU/GPU's that are typically under the IHS.
Just that, plus decent software/bios, and you're good to go!?

And this:
So the remainder of my fittings (4x in total) will need to be compressions/clamps I guess...
Assuming I stick with 1/2" ID & 3/4" OD, which models (preferably koolance) would you suggest?

Last edited:
The second page of this old thread shows a very basic idea I used once to get the total pressure drop across my system. Basically it involves two T's one before and after the pump. You connect the T's with a long piece of tubing with equal water heights' It's based on the same principle as a manometer. End result for this pump was that my system had 72" of water pressure drop across the pump. IIRC this pump would do 7 ft of head so I was close to but not at the limit.

EDIT: Sorry was typing when you replied. Yes the built in temp sensors are goning to be fine for our applicaiton

The only time you will need to pay attention to the OD of your tubing, is if you're buying compression fittings. If you're using barbs and worm gears it will not matter in the least.

Thanks for pointing that out....
I'm still learning the diff. fittings, their names, what they look like, & the function they perform!
2x of the 6x inlets/outlets on my blocks/rads are to be used by 4x QDC's, leaving the need for only 4x more fittings.
Which 4x (preferably koolance, but not imperative) fittings would you recommend?

I also use one set of QDC's on my benching rig so that I can easily swap my loop configuration around (cool GPU's or CPU, or a combination of both, etc...). If you're installing into a case, I don't really see the need to add the flow restriction of that many QDC's, unless you plan on swapping components on a daily/weekly basis.

The 4x (2xM & 2xF) I've downgraded to is not too bad though right?
Especially since my rad. is to be mounted on the case's lid!

Your not going to find most components that support larger then 1/2" ID.

By "components" I assume you're referring to blocks & rads?
So you're saying that most fittings able to screw into their threading, are only able to support 1/2" ID?
I believe there are fittings that can support larger than 1/2" ID, & where their threading is not compatible w/the component, an adapter can be used.
Not that I'm going to bother with that...

The second page of this old thread shows a very basic idea I used once to get the total pressure drop across my system.<SNIP>

Excellent, thanks heaps!
Keeping this archived for when I want to work-out flow without impeding it w/a mechanical device.

You missed this final Qn:
So the remainder of my fittings (4x in total) will need to be compressions/clamps I guess...
Assuming I stick with 1/2" ID & 3/4" OD, which models (pref. -but not imperative- koolance) would you suggest?

Preferably Bitspower barbs and compressions.

Nicer, more colors.

Okay I'll have a look at them too! Just all compressions you reckon?
I only need 4x more fittings, given that 2x are being taken by 4x V4LN's (koolance QDC's).

You are really going to regret those QDCs.

And what makes you think that Daemonkin?

Koolance rebadges almost all the good parts at a big profit.

I kinda think the OP is past much guidance anyway. Been going on for over a month here and anpother forum.

Just needs to buy his choices and live with it already.

^ WTH are you talking about going over a month.
Nothing like a month....
I have a separate thread w/a different set of focal points that's been going for just under 3wks.
This thread isn't even 6-days old yet...
The order's in, settle the hell down already.

By "components" I assume you're referring to blocks & rads?
So you're saying that most fittings able to screw into their threading, are only able to support 1/2" ID?
I believe there are fittings that can support larger than 1/2" ID, & where their threading is not compatible w/the component, an adapter can be used.
Not that I'm going to bother with that...
GreenJelly said:
Yes, and your adapter and the threaded hole will be your largest restriction regardless of what size you go up or down too. The hole will not be getting bigger and the thread plus the metal must fit in the hole,.

Last edited:
Look I was carefull and was on My 3rd build and had bought a Res and modded it and still was not happy with its fundamental design.

I think your headed for failure. A custom water cooling system requires much more then planning, it requires adapting, and taking things you expected to use and put them in the parts bin. Its not cheap, its not easy, and its not always fun... My Machine has been down for almost 2 weeks now, as I am having a problem with My Video card and since I changed MoBo's I need to fix My Windows.

To your question on fittings. Sorry, I don't really have any recommendations for fittings. I use what I have on hand which is a hodgepodge of plastic, brass, and cromed that I have left over from many years of water cooling. I've gotten fittings with components and also from Home Depot and West Marine.

Back