• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which would cool a vrm better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

1. Mosfet -> thermal adhesive -> small aluminum fin stack
  2. Mosfet -> 0.5mm pad (claimed 6.0 W/mk) -> massive copper heat spreader w/ small aluminum fin stacks attached via thermal adhesive everywhere they will fit, this would have probably around 2 to 2.5x the surface area
both would have active cooling

Last edited:
VRM on what? And for what purpose? It may be a moot point with active cooling. Thermal adhesive is going to transfer better than the pad but is permanent.

On this card: 1x High side mosfet: http://www.aosmd.com/res/data_sheets/AON6594.pdf
2x Low side mosfet: http://www.aosmd.com/res/data_sheets/AON6508.pdf

I was thinking of using a L shaped piece of copper with a thin thermal pad and covering it with heat syncs, the layout would favor the high side mosfet over the low side as that is the weakest link

I was just wondering if it would be better by brute force

I already going to be using adhesive elsewhere on the card, so permanent is not a issue, but i think it may be easier to do using the pad

Sometimes the best way to cool a VRM is with nothing but a fan. No heatsinks.
If looking to go big time with hard v-mods, you don't have a reason to worry much cooling the VRMs so long as they have air across them.

Been getting everything ready to start on this this morning, about to start cleaning and gluing in the next hour

Well i got the cooler installed, it complained about uefi support so i booted with csm, guess it is time to mod the bios
tested heaven a few minutes and found a problem, the black plate now that it sinks heat so well it overheated my M.2 (that idles at stupid high temps anyway)
i setup a jank fan to make it work till i get a chance to work on it

Back