• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who says 2 X 74GIG Raptors isnt better than one? Anandtech?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting thread, dominick32, as we have nearly identical setups. Here's the RAID0 array compared to the single drive:

test1.gif

Note the seek times for the RAID0 VS single drive (labeled as silimage 0000). Seek on the single drive is 1ms slower; probably a controller issue...

Also of interest is the comparison of the single Raptor to the WD3200 7200RPM SATA:

test2.gif

As expected, dramatically slower seek times on the 7200...

hafa said:
Interesting thread, dominick32, as we have nearly identical setups. Here's the RAID0 array compared to the single drive:

test1.gif

Note the seek times for the RAID0 VS single drive (labeled as silimage 0000). Seek on the single drive is 1ms slower; probably a controller issue...

Also of interest is the comparison of the single Raptor to the WD3200 7200RPM SATA:

test2.gif

As expected, dramatically slower seek times on the 7200...

Thanks for posting your results. The more information we have in this thread the better. This just goes to show how every aspect, more importantly the actual controller has a big difference on effective raid-0 performance.

Dom

AMD 3800 Dual Core w/ dual SATA RAID-0 74 GB Raptors

BEWARE! RAID-0 works, and yea it is fast, BUT if it fails (AND IT WILL FAIL!) You are totally F@#$%D. I have had this happen.

I had only partial backups, and the cost to get it fixed is $2500 - WAY MORE THAN I WANT TO SPEND.

You have been warned.

-G

ggb667 said:
BEWARE! RAID-0 works, and yea it is fast, BUT if it fails (AND IT WILL FAIL!) You are totally F@#$%D. I have had this happen.

I had only partial backups, and the cost to get it fixed is $2500 - WAY MORE THAN I WANT TO SPEND.

You have been warned.

-G

:welcome: to the forums, ggb667.

There are myriad threads that warn of the liabilities of running a RAID 0 array.

Regardless of your choice of storage subsystem, it's a matter of when, not if, a failure will occur. Granted, a RAID 0 array increases the chance of failure, but the responsible approach is to ensure that you have appropriate procedures in place to regularly back up all of your data in case of a failure.

With all of the great choices for backups these days, there's really no reason not to have a complete and current copy of everything ready at hand.

Is the Raptor the key part of the this equation or is it more the fact of having two SATA drives striped? How would a pair of Seagate 7200.10 drives stack up against a dual Raptor setup?

The Raptors would have much faster seek times and slightly quicker transfer rates. Both would be fast setups, but the Raptor would definitely have the edge.

Back