• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why bother buying / using as5 these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No offense to anyone, but they did all that testing and no one seems to use the best stuff. In all the trials I have seen, thus far, indigo is always at the top.y thought was what's more of a pain, delid or indigo? Poorly stated as it was. If you do one, why wouldn't you do the other as well. It's all about your use of the CPU really. I say, personally, go big or go home Hehe

There are reasons listed throughout the thread...here they are again.

1. Cost of the product.
2. Difference between 'decent' TIMs are 1-2C.
3. A proper mount makes more of a difference than TIM does.
4. 1-2C is not a make or break on overclocking.

So with that in mind, why pay such a steep premium for such little gains?

If you are taking the risk to delid, why would you use AS5 and rob yourself of a couple of degrees? I would go with what is recommended to use when you delid, that Gelid stuff... That just feels kind of... 'half assed' to bother delidding then throw on MEH paste.

I confess. When I put the water block on my GK104 and found it was delidded by default ... I still used AS5 instead of buying a different TIM. :chair:

Course, a 660ti isn't exactly a heat monster anyway.

There are reasons listed throughout the thread...here they are again.

1. Cost of the product.
3. A proper mount makes more of a difference than TIM does.
4. 1-2C is not a make or break on overclocking.

So with that in mind, why pay such a steep premium for such little gains?

Based off the skinneelabs chart Dragon Tattoo posted it looks to be about a 5c difference not 1-2c. Now that is worth looking into for OCing an Benching. But for everyday gaming/surfing computers AS5 is "good enough"

Here I'll repost it so you don't have to flip pages...I'm lazy too.

Let me reqoute myself and highlight my point...

I'll expand that to 3C. I can plainly see the difference between **** paste and the best is over 5C. Just talking 'decent' ones. :)

Perhaps I should have said "good" pastes, LOL! But my point still remains...little differences and mounts will make more of a difference in a lot of cases.

Well the same reason that over lockers will spend days trying to get extra Hz outa their OC, to get the best they can outa it. It's about a personal goal.... And probably bragging rights lol. Me personally, it won't matter on my OC I'm not at that level, but there are those that will. But maybe someday, I'll wanto go the extra distance. So in conclusion, your 4 points are correct, except for the special few who will push limits simply because they can.

I am that person that pushes limits simply because I can. 1-2C really doesn't make a difference. To me, and I may just be a cheapskate, but I am not buying Indigo extreme for $10 for one application to save that couple of C versus the $5 I spent for 50 applications of MX2.

To each their own... :)

Well if you're going to get MX at least make it MX-4! Holy cheapskate! :p :rofl:

(To each their own)

For that .5C difference (that can easily be a wash each application)!!! I'm good to save $2. Not to mention, I like how MX-2 spreads versus 4 (IIRC I think 2 is more viscous). Like I said, I am not after every tenth of a degree and if I can save $2... I will save it.

For that .5C difference (that can easily be a wash each application)!!! I'm good to save $2. Not to mention, I like how MX-2 spreads versus 4 (IIRC I think 2 is more viscous). Like I said, I am not after every tenth of a degree and if I can save $2... I will save it.

No doubt. However, looking over the charts and reviews (which I've been doing a lot of due to this thread) it looks like I could shave 4 deg C off my load temps by ditching my remaining AS5 and getting some PK-1 or HeGrease.

That's enough of a change/improvement to get my attention.

If that is worth it to you, go for it. I personally would use the rest of the AS5, then get something else, but again, that is my cheapness shining through.

I look at it this way, what will 4C get me? (answer is nothing, really) So why throw away perfectly 'mediocre' TIM?!

Though I have to be honest, I did price the PK-1, even though I just opened my last tube of MX-2. :p

No doubt. However, looking over the charts and reviews (which I've been doing a lot of due to this thread) it looks like I could shave 4 deg C off my load temps by ditching my remaining AS5 and getting some PK-1 or HeGrease.

That's enough of a change/improvement to get my attention.

If you want some HeGrease Extreme I still have a 3.5g tube laying unused after a single build, lol, just pay shipping :p

Understandable earth dog, but riddle me this, how many deg. c would it be worth? Say it dropped 6 C below the absolute best of the other stuff?

Most of my overclocking is done sub ambient, so I am not really worried there, period. As far as my daily overclocks, I don't push too far to worry about 6C. My 3570K was at 4.5Ghz and never broke 60C, while my 4930K is at 4.5Ghz and is in the same ballpark.

I do not push my systems that far for daily driving. If I am benching on ambient, 6C may buy me 50Mhz if that? One voltage bump? I don't know, I'm just not in search of the top couple percent of anything I guess as I am aware that in most cases, that 50-100Mhz more won't mean much if anything at all so I save my money, time, and effort not pushing for that last bit.

I had 10 tube Shin-etsu, I just runout them 4 years later :) I am using something that came with prolimatech cooler now.

Yeah, on the MX-4 vs MX-2 thing even it was hard to use here, I just liked the MX-2 better for applying it rather than the MX-4 which seemed too solid, and the NT-H1 more so personally for recent applications, but I haven't went to esoteric.

Maybe I received a bad tube of MX-4 at the time.

I do not tear mine down that often do I guess really can't have that valid an opinion.

If you aren't ripping things on and off non stop I like the NT-H1 I guess atm.

Last edited:
Back