• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why bother buying / using as5 these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whenever i'm putting parts in the basket for a new build on newegg, i just automaticly think in my head "Wonder if i'm out of Arctic Silver". I've been using it for so long, that to me AS5 is the only TIM there is..

Glad i seen this thread though, going to try something different for the new AMD box i'm putting together.

but they were saying they would buy up all the tim if it had copper in it, i was pointing out that copper is less conductive than silver, and silver is already in arctic silver. thats probably why no tims bother to use copper. not to mention with the newer tims using silicon bases that are more heat conductive than either, and cheaper to produce.

I was just backing up that silver is better, but there are things WAY better than silver out there.

If we could use a heatsink direct to die made out of diamond (even impure) it is more than 2x better at heat conduction than silver.
If you do some magic to the diamond, it can be up to 10x better.

If you do some magic to the diamond, it can be up to 10x better.

*cough*...

"Word on the street"... hold out to see some cool **** from carbon nanotubes in the next year or two. We are experimenting with new aqueous carbon solutions for certain things. Results are promising so far. I wish I was the one working on it...

*cough*

how many copper-cuts until you got that beauty mounted? i had 2 on the middle finger (i couldn`t flip people off...:mad:) and 1 on my thumb.

HAHAHA Surprisingly none, however cable management was near impossible. Every single cable seemed to catch on the copper and I was worried I'd bend the snot out of the fins.

Ok has anyone tried indigo extreme? Always tops the list and hasn't heard anyone say anything about it yet? Course taking the CPU to 100C has a bit of pucker effect don't it.

*cough*...

"Word on the street"... hold out to see some cool **** from carbon nanotubes in the next year or two. We are experimenting with new aqueous carbon solutions for certain things. Results are promising so far. I wish I was the one working on it...

*cough*

I didn't want to be the first to bring up nanotubes because I didn't want to explain what they are :p

But, they're better than pure diamond currently. Somewhere around 5x better than silver IIRC.

lol ive used "never seize" as tim before pretty sure thats alu flakes. works fine.

Carbon nanotubes are a long way off and well they have the same issue, they are looking for a way to get them to absorb the heat.

Carbon nanotubes are a long way off and well they have the same issue, they are looking for a way to get them to absorb the heat.

Nanoparticle based cooling liquids have been talked about. One company has a product on the market, but the results haven't been really outstanding from what I've seen. Particularly for the price.

Why would you want TIM to absorb heat?

Nanoparticle based cooling liquids have been talked about. One company has a product on the market, but the results haven't been really outstanding from what I've seen. Particularly for the price.

Why would you want TIM to absorb heat?

To transfer it to the heatsink ;)
If it won't absorb heat, how is it going to transfer the heat to the heatsink to be removed?

Wrong word lets say transfer instead. From what I read, they need to find a way to get the nanotubes closer.

To transfer it to the heatsink ;)
If it won't absorb heat, how is it going to transfer the heat to the heatsink to be removed?

When someone says absorb, I think of a sponge. There are materials that will absorb heat energy and not release it readily. I thought that's what he was referring to.

So the thermal conductivity (I think that's the proper engineering term) of nanotubes isn't there yet, is that what you're saying?

Yes, sorry about my leymans terminology. But I'm visualizing. They seemed to state that the tubes themselves aren't close enough to conduct properly.

Ok has anyone tried indigo extreme? Always tops the list and hasn't heard anyone say anything about it yet? Course taking the CPU to 100C has a bit of pucker effect don't it.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705612
https://www.google.com/search?q=indigo+xtreme+site:www.overclockers.com&num=100

Lots of links here for threads about it. I don't see anyone anywhere that has some deity inspired level of temp change from it. Between that and the installation requirements, it just is not worth the hassle personally.

I can see a benefit from the Extreme OC crowd POSSIBLY but I doubt they would even realistically benefit from it.

Hmm there is a what, 6 deg delta from min and max on the Tim chart, if running a 4770k, a delid gets you, enter grain of salt, 8-20 deg. Go with as5 and delid...... Hehe.

If you are taking the risk to delid, why would you use AS5 and rob yourself of a couple of degrees? I would go with what is recommended to use when you delid, that Gelid stuff... That just feels kind of... 'half assed' to bother delidding then throw on MEH paste.

Back