• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why bother buying / using as5 these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive done that before with MX-2. Never really saw a difference there either... but wasn't looking for one at the same time... LOL!

I might just have to try that. I just though air bubbles might get introduced. I guess you just crank it down hard and should squeeze them out.

I believe it will create some type of air pockets etc. I really don't mind cleaning and applying each time.

They do. But to this point, that method hasn't stopped me from benching my 4770K at 4.9GHz so, I am not too worried about every little degree. :)

I might just have to try that. I just though air bubbles might get introduced. I guess you just crank it down hard and should squeeze them out.

The "trick" in my experience is to "dope" the blocks by spreading the TIM very evenly using a razor blade, then apply a small amount in the middle like usual. You can use center dot, rice grain, line method, whatever, but use a LOT less than normal. Probably about half the usual amount. If the blocks are already "doped" since you're changing things, just smooth it out with a razor and apply that small dot to the middle. You're going to loose a small amount of TIM when you switch CPU or cooling, so it makes sense to add some.

I've had no air bubbles evident on dismount or evidenced by temps when I've done this. I do prefer to start clean though since I have a non-literal ton of AS5 that I need to go through before I try any of the newer TIMs out there.

Last edited:
No one needs to know why, but around 2-3 years ago, I mass purchased AS 5 tubes(we are talking around 200 or so tubes) for a "project" the spare tubes I kept and have been using on my machines ever since. As of today, I'm on my last 4 tubes. I plan on replacing them with IC diamond 24. Good or bad idea?(I'm obtaning the tubes at a cheap enough price and I plan on buying them, and have the cash. :D)

IC Diamond is a good alternative to AS5, but what about buying in bulk something like PK-1? It should be cheap enough that you get similar deals to AS5 / ICD.

I've been using PK-1 for the last few years with some pretty heavy overclocks on water and had great results!

i am under the impression that AS5 is still widely in use because of "peer pressure"... :)
read: every noob who doesn't want to sound like one tends to shout "you should use as5 you noob! I know becuz i am l33t."
:D
me, i prefer prolimatech, because its what you'll find when you intersect all the parameters like price, performance, consistence, ease-of-use, availability, etc
Then again, i am a believer in extreme lapping, so the TIM is less important as the mount/contact anyways. :)

Its got nothing to do with peer pressure..

I don't buy many things online because I don't like to wait :D

Ive wasted a lot of money on tubes trying to perfect my mounting technique on every platform Ive been on, so speaking for myself, its the one I know best.. because its the only one I buy.. Ive been using it for at least 10 years now.

Insert the Rifleman's Creed here :attn:

Edit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_Creed :cool:

I had to say that every night for about three months before going to sleep myself long ago, not really sure if it applies TIM really, he he.

That and they don't even use the same one now they used to, things do evolve ya know.

:D

Semper Fi at any rate.

:salute:

I don't realy see that much is in the tim.
if I get the same amount and mount the same way every time i seem to be ok.
if i change the way i mount the block is when the issues begain.

Again, I believe it goes down to personal preference, research and even taste for some. ;) If I find roundups of the same TIM in the TOP 3 or 5, I am getting it no matter what the price is. I don't make a big deal if its $5 or $10. If we get to the $20+ range well than.........you can take that to the bank JACK! (Pun intended) :rofl:

Back