• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why bother buying / using as5 these days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used it for my first build years ago, since then I have just bought either it or MX-4.

Performance is negligible for most people I think, so they get what they know.

Lately I'm buying Gelid Supreme for everything as it's cheaper than any other good TIM and works best for me. It's also much easier to apply than Gelid Extreme, cost less and I see no difference in temps.
7g package cost not much more than 4g MX2/MX4. If Gelid is not available then I get MX4 just because price is almost the same as MX2 while MX4 is slightly better ( at least on GPU ).

AS5 isn't bad and for sure is better than ceramique but is worse and cost more than many other popular TIMs.

I use as5, I live a bit far out of a city, it's radio shack brand and I can get my mitts on it without driving all day, and it works.

I still use AS5 for anything that's semi permanent, all my benching stuff I use the Phobya HE grease. Short cure time and it cleans off very easily when I'm swapping things. Good price too.
Almost forgot it comes apart cold too. No need to warm anything .

i really don't like cleaning up AS5, mx2 its alot easier to clean off, thats for sure, atelast personally. But as for cooling wise i don't really myself have a preference, i just bought a crap ton of mx2 on sale and have been using it for a while lol, for extreme benching i used some el cheapo coolermaster white stuff i got big tubes from the local computer store.

Gelid Extreme for me ever since i saw the results on the HWbot test review, and it took first place overall. Never had any Temp problems with it, easy to clean off with a paper towel, and most important. Is its not conductive and does not leak or travel when applied to a surface overall. ;) :salute:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426020

2, http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=71658

And as you can see its not to costly on the Newegg!! And i thought i would copy and PASTE the review on the HWbot for you all to look at!! Yeah PASTE GOOD PUN! :D :thup:

AJ.

99% alcohol and a cloth gets as5 off in 2 swipes, so clean up is very easy :thup:

I'm glad this thread popped up, I wouldn't mind trying something new

that stuff is 3.5g for $13.
We have bought the 7G tubes of MX-2 for $3 or something (threads here on the deals). $5 for 4G...

But its up to the person buying if that ~1C is worth the doubling or more the cost to them. Personally, how easy the product is to spread and remove is more important than most factors considering the almost negligible differences between TIMs themselves, especially for me who removes heatsinks all to frequently for reviews.

Think about it, a proper mount means more for temps than the thermal paste used in a lot of cases. ;)

We have bought the 7G tubes of MX-2 for $3 or something (threads here on the deals). $5 for 4G...

But its up to the person buying if that ~1C is worth the doubling or more the cost to them. Personally, how easy the product is to spread and remove is more important than most factors considering the almost negligible differences between TIMs themselves, especially for me who removes heatsinks all to frequently for reviews.

Think about it, a proper mount means more for temps than the thermal paste used in a lot of cases. ;)

Bingo.

This is why I just use Ceramique. Cheap, easy to apply, very repeatable.

Absolutely. I read a great review were they used regular household stuff like toothpaste and mayonaise. It's very surprising how well most of them did for a short term. Hell I'll bet the AS5 that Silvers' been using dries up quicker than the toothpaste did. Lol

Been very happy with the results of Gelid GC-Extreme and Prolimatek PK-3. It's been quite a while since I used AS5 for anything as I quickly replaced that with IC Diamond 7.

If i was constantly changing CPU'S then a cheaper option would be a better idea, which i would 100% agree with.

AJ.

I'm constantly changing CPUs and for old stuff on ss or water even ceramique is good but for new chips I stick to MX4 or Gelid Supreme as 2-4 *C make a difference when you need couple of MHz more.
Really no one tested Gelid Supreme as I see only me mentioning about it :p In my quick tests there was no special difference between Supreme and Extreme while Extreme cost much more and I really hate to apply it on larger cores.

Gelid-GC-Extreme-Supreme-Temperaturas1.jpg

I looked after you mentioned it, but realistically if I'm spending an amount for Gelid, I would be more interested in their higher end product than to save a few. Is the cost significantly lower?

Last edited:
I'm switching CPUs couple of times a week. On air/water I don't care if I have 1-2*C difference, it's not making my CPU overclock higher anyway.
Even when you reapply TIM then differences are sometimes up to 3*C.
On sub 0 I also see no difference in max clocks. The main issue are prices - 3g of Extreme cost ~$10 , 7g of Supreme cost ~$7 ( prices in Poland ). 3g of AS5 cost about $8 so it's for sure bad option.

I don't really believe in most reviews. They are saying something but I just don't believe that results are really accurate. It's also hard to compare most results as TIM is acting in different way on large and small cores and on high and low temps.
I like to see when other users are sharing their experience more than another average review.

There is also one other advantage of Supreme if you are benching. When you change cooler then you can simply spread what you have on your CPU without wasting more TIM instead of cleaning and reapplying it again. I'm often moving from water to ss and back without adding more TIM and I see no special difference. You simply can't make it with most other TIMs available on market.

There is also one other advantage of Supreme if you are benching. When you change cooler then you can simply spread what you have on your CPU without wasting more TIM instead of cleaning and reapplying it again. I'm often moving from water to ss and back without adding more TIM and I see no special difference. You simply can't make it with most other TIMs available on market.

Now that sounds attractive! It just seems so unorthodox, I don't know if I could do it.

Back