• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why cant I get my GTX past 630/1015

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hillsdale

Hey guys, im trying to overclock my eVGA 8800GTX past the 630/1015 mark but it just cant! I see people on here with overclocks of like 660/1040 but i just cant anywhere past this point im at without a crash during ATi Tool testing..

My specs are in my sig please tell me what im doing wrong.

not all GTX's can bench above 650. yours might be one of those. if you want more clocks out of the card, you could always think about a volt mod.

something else to try - via RivaTuner you could try setting the fan duty cycle to 100% - you might be able to reach a higher Overclock if shes running a little cooler...

Hillsdale said:
yeah if all GTX's cant go the same distance when it comes to OC'ing then thats just ridiculous

I do not really understand this comment, can you elaborate on what you mean?

And to provide proper post input, have considered that maybe other users are using better cooling than what you have?

Good luck,

bryan d

well i dont know how much better it can get.. right now when it stress tests it sits around 71c before it crashes, and thats with the side of the case off. I dont know how much better it can get.

and my last post he said "not all GTX's can bench above 650." how can some go high and others not?

try lowering your ram on the card via RivaTuner to 1000 or as close as you can get and lower the gpu to 625 if that works raise the gpu till it crashes or if it will not work keep lowering the ram till it does. mine goes to 651 1003 and no higher.

Hillsdale said:
well i dont know how much better it can get.. right now when it stress tests it sits around 71c before it crashes, and thats with the side of the case off. I dont know how much better it can get.

and my last post he said "not all GTX's can bench above 650." how can some go high and others not?

Not all cards are created equal. Some might be able to oc to 660 and others might not be able to go above 620.

Also there is a third speed on NV cards which you can't directly control. It's the shader domain which is listed in Rivatuner's temp&speed graph. It changes at certain GPU core speeds and some people may actually be running the same speed even if they set it different. Different parts of the chip can fail too, so if a person's shaders can handle the next step then their GPU core will be higher as well. Use Rivatuner's temp graph to see your real speeds and notice how it changes in steps not smoothly.

Otherwise different cards will just do different speeds, that's the luck of oc'ing.

I' have my EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked running 630/1040 and have had it there for a week now with no crashes. My temps don't get over 65c though

Hillsdale said:
yeah if all GTX's cant go the same distance when it comes to OC'ing then thats just ridiculous

How can you say something like that? ocing has,and always will be, largely luck of the draw. You're doing something to your hardware that it wasn't originally intended to do.

Unfortunately that's just not the way it ever has been or ever will be. You're at the mercy of your particular card. Pushing hardware beyond specifications is just that, so you need to improve your cooling, modify the card in some way, or get another card if you want a better overclock. It's just the nature of the beast.

Back