• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does it Underclock at full load?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saber707

Registered
I have a AMD FX-8120 that I have been trying to overclock but at full load it changes core clocks and underclocks itself. Someone please help!

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: AMD FX-8120
RAM: Patriot Blue Signature Line 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: M5A78L-M/USB3
GPU: 4GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 [OC EVGA KBOOST], 2GB GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 950 [PHYX ONLY]
Storage: 465GB Seagate HDD, 232GB Western Digital HDD, 1T Seagate HDD
PSU: Aywun Megapower Elite 550W

You'll have two issues with overclocking with this set-up.

1. You don't list your cooling so I'll assume you're using the stock cooler. You are likely overheating and the CPU is throttling to save it's life.

2. That motherboard only has a 4+1 Power section and is devoid of VRM heatsinks. It lacks the ability and cooling to provide enough power to overclock.

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212X with a extra fan on the other side the cpu doesn't see a day past 55°C

- - - Updated - - -

I also turned on and off turbo core control in amd overdrive and it seem to help the problem a bit but it still under clocks itself just not as often (only under load) I assume this problem because of AMD's AMP technology

It's more likely because you're overclocking an 8 core on a board built for a stock 4 core. The VRM can't handle that 8120. It's most likely a socket temp/VRM overcurrent that's causing the throttling.If you use something like HWMonitor it'll show both the socket and package temps and you'll likely see the socket is 70° or higher. Putting a small fan on your power section to help cool it could help you keep your overclock speed but no guqrantee

OK, so your cooling is OK. What voltage are you setting vCore to? Have you read through the stickies yet? If you could post some screen shots of CPU-Z CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs that could help diagnose the issue loads. What are you loading the CPU with?

here you go
d596962938f1a11f1ca52003488bf5af.png

it even says in the multiplier 7-23.5

Last edited:
my bios doesn't turn off AMP but amd overdrive did, but i still get a under clock every now and then from 4.7GHz to 1.4GHz

Yeah you're definitely throttling. 1.45v is a hell of a lot for air cooling. I'm willing to bet your VRM heatsink is pretty hot to the touch. That poor board. LOL Take a look at HWMonitor like Johan is saying. I'm sure its up there in temps. I've pushed a 6300 on that board and she didn't like it at all.

I really dont know what that means sorry :( johan45

What should i set it too? blaylock

8320dfbf7101f3109a60083785606f8d.png
(this is idle)

If it were my system I would honestly set it to stock settings. As we said that board wont be able to maintain an overclock for long. It's a matter of time before it burns out.

say if i didn't care about it burning out and i wanted to keep the 4.7GHz steady what would you do?

note i am taking in everything you guys are saying Thanks a lot for helping me out

Can it keep a steady overclock at boost clock? i use to have a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T OC to 4GHz steady before i upgraded 2 days ago

You need to cool the VRM's. Put a spot fan directly on it. This might help but again it's very under powered and you're trying to race an economy car.

could i just lower the voltage? or am i just not understanding correctly?

You could lower the voltage of the CPU in order to allow the VRM to run cooler but then your overclock might not be stable.

is running the voltage at auto while in a overclock ever bad?

and if i lower the voltage i could just lower the clock speed to 4.5GHz

i ran the CPU at 4.5GHz 1.38 core voltage and 7-22.5 is still an option but i ran a test for a few mins and it never dropped from 4.5GHz ATM i think i am winning

I have found the sweet spot of this Processor, All problems fixed, Big Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

That's probably a bit more realistic. Even on a good board OC on air is usually limited to 4.5 ish. Post a pic of HWMonitor while you are stress testing so I can see temps under load

You should have kept the 1090T.
At 4 gig it crushes the FX at 4.5.
FX will need to run 5 gig or better for the same performance as the 1090T at 4 gig.

Back