• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why i hate my isp and what i think about you guys and gals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jason Kitchens

Today when I arrived home from work, I glanced at fahmon not really paying attention. I didn't really let the multiple failed attempts to send wu's sink in. My plans for this evening were to hang a light in my newly converted work room, and update my freenas box to get it up running again. Well the cheap anchor bolts from wally world only had a sucess rate of 25%, so that kinda started the evening off kinda bad to say the least. While I was taking a trip on the fail bus: "the lighting adventure" I noticed the failed send attempts. "Ok, the router needs a reboot. I really do like dd-wrt but sometimes I wonder." Glanced at the cable modem.... "why are there only two led's lit?" "Guess its time to do the reboot modem and router shuffle...." Then I realized that wasn't working.

So next is the dreaded call to the isp's callcenter. After going through the same steps I went through before I called, and after two plesant but unsucessful tech a service call was was set up. "Great. I'll have to miss work and loose money I can't afford to miss out on in this already bad slow week." But then to my wondering ears did sound, not till friday will they come around! "You're kidding right?"

So here we are, right in the midle of a folding push not forgetting the march contest. I just got re-setup in the new room after being down for a few days and I'll be shut down till friday not to mention the wu's from today that are just sitting on my machine.

I guess this is just a symptom of how addicted and dependant I have become on the tiny black cable that spoon feeds me the wonderful mushy bounty that is the web. No, I take that back it really irks me that I won't be folding till this is resolved. That, my friends of my favorite community, That is what really irks me.

So I guess I'm so addicted to folding that I wonder to my self, " hmmm, I wonder if my G1 can fold?

I hope you all are happy, you have pulled me in to all of this. Coerced me into spending thousands of dollars on equipment and who knows how much money on power bills.

All I can say is "I've never been happier... being part of this community is great. Even never meeting any of you other than on this board, I feel like we are all a part of something that will eventually make a huge difference in way science sees disease.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes posted from my G1.

I forgot to add that even though my cable modem is down the tv is working wonderfully. Wonder if this is just some plot of dushku and baldwin to make my brain soft. After all they are aliens and that's what they do....

Well Jason, that sounds like a bit of verbiage to me. :) :p LOL, you got sucked in like I did. Ooh, just a bit extra! OK, ya, I got a Q6600, why not use it? :D Good to see you on board man.

You my friend must learn the way of sneakernetting. Then ISP or no ISP, life will be good :sn:

I feel your frustration, and I can certainly understand. I think I would feel the exact same way. I don't know if you want any suggestions or not, but here are a couple any way.

Do any of your neighbors have wireless Internet? You could talk with them and see if they would let you use their service temporarily until yours is fixed.

Do you own a laptop or other wireless Internet computer? If so, you could copy all of your folding folders to it, go to somewhere that has a wireless hotspot, and upload/download the WU's. I know, a big pain in the butt, and it would not provide you 24/7 Internet access. But it is better than nothing.

I think he's hooked... :D

Jason Kitchens said:
I've never been happier... being part of this community is great. Even never meeting any of you other than on this board, I feel like we are all a part of something that will eventually make a huge difference in way science sees disease.

Very nice words Jason... I feel the same way. :)

You my friend must learn the way of sneakernetting. Then ISP or no ISP, life will be good :sn:
Definately. I'd never use any network other than my own for large traffic, but when Road Runner craps all over me (which it does quite often) I don't hesitate to check my email and surf forums on one of many open networks within range.

And I definately know what you mean man. I'm trying to get rid of Road Runner right now and I just found out Verizon doesn't offer fios in my area yet, so it's going to mean a downgrade to DSL :bang head

So I guess I'm so addicted to folding that I wonder to my self, " hmmm, I wonder if my G1 can fold?

I have a G1 too. I was going to suggest that you install F@H on it and use it to send and download wu's and then copy them to your computers to process. But I just remembered that the G1 is ARM based so no clients will run on it. You may be able to get creative with QEMU which can emulate x86 on top of most platforms including ARM. It might just be simpler to figure out how to tether the G1 to a computer for internet access but I know T-Mobile is making that hard.

I have a G1 too. It might just be simpler to figure out how to tether the G1 to a computer for internet access but I know T-Mobile is making that hard.

Actually I'm on att. If you want to tether yours look up xda developers. I'll keep everyone updated as I figure out how to keep my garden up and running. Thanks for all the support guys, it means lots.

You may think of it as a downgrade but my AT&T DSL is WAY more reliable than any cable connection I've ever had. I actually get 6mbit and despite the lower upstream I don't feel any deficiency.

Good luck and fold on.

yeah I know exactly how this burden makes one feel, just recently went through with our previous ISP

Then we changed ISP now all is faster and better.
We even get Free content too,, such as Movies, Radio channels, Music, Online Gaming, and Documentaries ect, and they dont count towards our Download Quota, thats a great bonus.

Originally Posted by Jason Kitchens
I've never been happier... being part of this community is great. Even never meeting any of you other than on this board, I feel like we are all a part of something that will eventually make a huge difference in way science sees disease.

So very very true, Glad to Part of this community too!

This reminds me of a problem I have always had with FAH.

If our clients have a built-in cache, then why is it never used? If my GPU returns work units in 3 hours, and the deadline for all of them is 3 days, than why not let me download 10 of them, so that if my connection DOES go down, then I can keep folding for a day or two at least.

You are feeling the

POWAH of the FORCE.

It is the energy field created by all living things.
It surrounds us, penetrates us.
It binds the universe together.
Resistance is futile!​

Last edited:
This reminds me of a problem I have always had with FAH.

If our clients have a built-in cache, then why is it never used? If my GPU returns work units in 3 hours, and the deadline for all of them is 3 days, than why not let me download 10 of them, so that if my connection DOES go down, then I can keep folding for a day or two at least.
It would be nice, but the projects build upon one another. The "Run Clone Generation" numbers indicate this to some extent. When a WU is completed and returned, the information from it is used to generate the next WU. So if you downloaded 10 of them, nothing could build on those 10 until your computer uploaded them.

I hope you all are happy, you have pulled me in to all of this. Coerced me into spending thousands of dollars on equipment and who knows how much money on power bills.

All I can say is "I've never been happier... being part of this community is great. Even never meeting any of you other than on this board, I feel like we are all a part of something that will eventually make a huge difference in way science sees disease.

Back