• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why i hate my isp and what i think about you guys and gals

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This reminds me of a problem I have always had with FAH.

If our clients have a built-in cache, then why is it never used? If my GPU returns work units in 3 hours, and the deadline for all of them is 3 days, than why not let me download 10 of them, so that if my connection DOES go down, then I can keep folding for a day or two at least.

Years ago, it was that way.

Two problem were found:

1) Lots of WU's were not returned - just lost.

2) Some folders and teams cached their work units, so they could dump them all at once. That's counter productive for Stanford. They need that steady stream, and quick turnaround, to be efficient.

At that point, Stanford made a decision to just keep everything on-line for the folders, (more than they had in the past), and have just one unit at a time go out, and come back. Happily, this coincided with a big expansion of DSL, cable, etc, ISP services, where the user's were always on-line.

If you compare FAH's servers up-time, (as a group), with say, SETI, you can appreciate what FAH has been doing behind the scenes, to keep the WU's flowing. :clap:

If you compare FAH's servers up-time, (as a group), with say, SETI, you can appreciate what FAH has been doing behind the scenes, to keep the WU's flowing. :clap:

I admit that I've never noticed the FAH servers down, but I actually admire the SETI folk more. I could be wrong, but I believe all of their funding comes from donations. They always have equipment donated to them, and there is always some kind of donation drive going on in their forums. Plus, they release technical news every couple of days that are a lot of fun to read. I still go back there every month or so to keep caught up. I guess that I would like to see regular announcements coming from the FAH group, other than some spurious forum posts..

I sure like me some announcements....:beer:

I guess I just wish I could take the things I miss most about SETI (regular announcements, being about to keep a queue of several hundred work units, and being able to upgrade to optimized clients) And force the Pande group to implement them, even if they probably won't or just can't.

Enough bashing FAH though.
It's good science and good fun:beer:

I've never been happier... being part of this community is great. Even never meeting any of you other than on this board, I feel like we are all a part of something that will eventually make a huge difference in way science sees disease.

Same here, its fantastic :D But that really sucks about your internet, talk about bad customer service, . I am with a relitively small ISP here in Ireland and the worst outage I ever saw was just over 1 day when their whole wireless network went down; just wish I could share my net with you until yours is fixed :-/

Just an update I had two appointments today that vanished off of their computers. And I was told by my girlfriend that the day it went out some utility company (I would guess the cable company) was working on the enclosures on all the cable connections on my street. Anybody have anything like this happen to them? I have really really been fed up with this isp. Sorry that thijs really isn't the correct forum but I can't type this twice on this keyboard.

Keep up the great work everybody. I'm not posting points atm but I'm behind you guys till I am again.

I remember times where my isp sucked, back in the old adelphia days. Luckily now, I rarely lost my connection but I have a system down where I tether my phone for net access, haha. Gotta keep the wus moving. :)

Finally back up this morning. Took the tech about two hours to fix the connection. New modem and fixing the issue at the dist box at the street. I started the fah clients this morning, so I should have some numbers up before too long.

Back