• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why I love and hate my AMD gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It does, and sorry if i blew a gasket, still miffed with my Strix 980 Ti underclocking for no reason, and ASUS not saying anything.

Some personal thoughts here about AIO coolers and Pushing the pee out of an FX8 core CPU unless you are talking about just benching your CPU I personally think you will be left wanting more. I was in Canada Computer yesterday for a cheap SSD to set up for benching and picked up the box of the Thermaltake 3.0 it was light which leads me to think this is just a stretched version of any typical 240mm AIO which will have a rad thickness of about 20mm.

Yes it will do better then a 240mm AIO for your temps but if you are now pushing 4.7GHz your next jump will need a big jump in VCore with that come allot more heat and each jump up to 5GHZ will be similar. Even though my 8370 will clock to 5gHz with less VCore it still pulls allot of heat similar to my older 8350 maybe 3 - 5*C less heat at similar ambient temps if that. In the end I think you will be disappointed..... just some thoughts.

Technically im doing 4.8ghz, got it stable at 1.43v Prime95 overnight hit 62, i just don't like seeing it so close to "home" so to speak, so i left it at 4.7ghz. Initially i thought i had a meh chip but after testing i noticed hes overclocking better then average, so i want to push it, see what he can do.

I mean short of a custom loop or LN2, what else can i put in here that will let me play around a bit other then a 360mm or 420mm ? ill happily take advice on a GOOD watercooling system.

Gotta love the sarcasm, very helpful. All the info i wrote here is from this and other forums, so if im doing something wrong please say so instead of "sounding" like a teenager throwing a fit.

Quoting this and that from other forums/threads is OK but nothing takes the place of experience. I have plenty of experience with the FX chips Just look here I went through the growing pains and have sampled new and old ones. I still don't profess to know everything and will not use other peoples post as gospel unless I know who they are and their methods. My impression I get from your post is that you're quite argumentative and stubborn. Always quick to jump in with an opposite opinion or what you "feel" is a correction of sorts.
The AIO is OK but I don't know if the TT3 is the best bang for your buck. If you want to go fast you have to invest the time and $$$ to do so hands down. Watch the classies and get yourself a real loop so you can run 5.0 comfortably.

LOL Kenrou. No thanks, I'd rather watch other people have to deal with their kids.

But yeah............just finagled this stable but hot as hell config *got the darned illegal sumout errors on core 5 and 6 to quit, as well as the instant rebooting*
Only problem is.........from where it's idling at.........like 30 seconds into P95 I'm at 67c with my 212 Evo, and all fans full bore lol.

Reached the Air Barrier I has.

HotStable.jpg

The AIO is OK but I don't know if the TT3 is the best bang for your buck. If you want to go fast you have to invest the time and $$$ to do so hands down. Watch the classies and get yourself a real loop so you can run 5.0 comfortably.

I have said i know next to nothing about watercooling but a "quick" 15m research on google pointed out that particular one as one of the best AIO in the market so far. I have 20+ years of experience in mounting and maintaining computers but have NO experience in custom loops and wouldn't know where to start tbf, got any links ?

Any 3 X 120 AIO will be among the best out there. Problem with AIO coolers is the components ie....week pumps questionable coolest and most likely mixed metals as in aluminum rad. I didn't really pay attention to the cost of the TT3 I imagine it is lower then a a 360 kit. We all have to start someplace and if that is where your budget lies it's as good a start as you can get is I suppose.

For me I think in the end you will be disappointed maybe check out the swiftech kits or their AIO coolers. Spend some time looking around ask questions about them and you will get straight forward answers and help.

Huh i always thought the AIO were what you called "proper watercooling" and wondered what the massive tanks were for. So on average how much gold would i need to shell out for a decent custom loop, better then the thermaltake i linked ?

Huh i always thought the AIO were what you called "proper watercooling" and wondered what the massive tanks were for. So on average how much gold would i need to shell out for a decent custom loop, better then the thermaltake i linked ?
Depends on what your wants/needs are but, you can figure on 3x that cost.

Heh then ill stick with the AIO for now, but tbh im more concerned with my kids, they like to slam into my desk every now and then and one of those tank rupturing is not a fun idea :(

good gawd, we have seen time and time again, for fx you need a 3x-4x120 60mm thick rad to tame these beasts and dang near that for the 6 core beasts.
to peg an 8 core you're looking at $350-$400 then add the bling dollars on top of that.

@caddi daddi please tell me that's sarcasm.
I am so under the weather due to allergies I cannot tell.

I think for an AIO, I would go for this: http://predator.ekwb.com/
and for a kit, something like: https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-kit-l120-r2-0

Else, just do as I do with rocketry, and design/build from scratch *aka grab compatible parts*

Though, I'd likely ditch the flexy tubing, and go for custom bent copper....

No CD is not joking..... good water cooling is not cheap. Depending on being and what you want you are looking at $400 to close to $1000 for a big custom loop. $400 will give you a decent start you can build off that over time if you want. It comes down to what you want and how hard you want to push.

Back