• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why I love and hate my AMD gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not an AMD guy, but I certainly see from around here FX 83xx topping out around 5Ghz on water (with the right board and custom water half the time). Anything over 5Ghz on ambient cooling I would like to see the results of a stress test and not just some screenshot. I am sure there are several there, not saying its a magic unicorn, perhaps just a giant squid rarely seen alive. So I disagree that a lot of these are over 5 Ghz. Certainly not the norm. 4.6-4.8Ghz or so is what I have seen. A bit more than Intel's average I would concede. But its also not about clocks and you are dismissing where the Intel's are starting from (when comparing apples to apples).

Point remains though. 1Ghz overclocks out of intel aren't anything to shake a stick at. That's over 33% overclock (3.5Ghz to 4.5Ghz+). Whereas it takes an 8370 to reach 5.32GHz to have a 33% overclock...which is more rare than a 4.6Ghz Intel. :)

4790K and Skylake are different stories (more along the lines of what you are thinking) considering they are starting out a 4Ghz as well. But they are 4.7Ghz chips. AMD is also on a mature process (28nm) and it is generally a bit easier to push clocks that way (not always!).

It It down to the silicone both Intel and AMD. Older chips like my old 8350 would clock upwards of 5gHZ for some as 5.5GHZ while these new chips like my 8370 though will clock up as well I am Prime stable 24 / 7 @ 5.1GHZ probably one of the better ones that have come through the forms or is it the cooling I have compared to others. Gotta admit the average user is not prepared for the heat but then so does the newer Intels which seem more tolerant of the heat. Some guys run up to 80*C - 90*C+ on their OC's compared to the AMD stuff now though I would hate to see what kind of power draw the FX would draw if we could OC to as high a temp, providing it would scale that high.

Revised : 4.6ghz/4.7ghz is limit to air, water goes well into 5.0ghz/5.2ghz with the current batches :) 5.2ghz stable is well possible with a 360 radiator and good MB/case.

Revised : 4.6ghz/4.7ghz is limit to air, water goes well into 5.0ghz/5.2ghz with the current batches 5.2ghz stable is well possible with a 360 radiator and good MB/case.
Fair enough, still a bit short of 5.3Ghz average needed to meet the same % overclock a lot of Intel's not named 4790K Skylake early batches can reach. ;)

What is odd to me is, that the X99/s2011 -3 chips (hex cores and octo), like my 5820K have no problems reaching 4.5Ghz (I bench mine at 4.8 to 4.9 GHz) and it starts at 3.3Ghz... That is 1.2Ghz overclock there, or over 35%. I am rock solid stable at 4.7Ghz on mine.

Perhaps not look at the Ghz, and look more at the % overclock from stock.

It always comes down to the chip. I have had plenty of them even an 8320 that ran 5.0 P95 stable at 1.45v under "my loop" The whole point I think that was trying to be made was the bang for buck scenario really doesn't apply so much for the FX breed that has come from AMD. If you don't invest heavily in a good foundation you're never going to get that 5.0 and if a 4790k and a sub 200$ mobo were put into that same cooling it'll still kick the pants off of FX. There's no getting around reality. Recently a guy at OCN had put together an 8300 with an Asrock 970 pro whatever their new board was and in < 6 months he lost the board and CPU with it trying to run with the big boys.

Recently a guy at OCN had put together an 8300 with an Asrock 970 pro whatever their new board was and in < 6 months he lost the board and CPU with it trying to run with the big boys.

LoL

Set realistic goals, myself for instance always was "i want to be able to play any game at a smooth 60fps with everything on max with whatever monitor/resolution i have at the time", and until 4 years ago was 720p, now is 1080p, sometime in the next 2 years or so will be 4K. Simpelz

I was rooting for him, I wanted to see what Asrock's "new" offering could do. This is something you can't get from a review. He got it to 4.9 @ 1.476v on a 240 Lepa AIO whole thing cost less than $300. Then yesterday it quit mosfets are all yellow and CPU is dead. Asrock didn't learn anything still a not so good board.

LoL

Set realistic goals, myself for instance always was "i want to be able to play any game at a smooth 60fps with everything on max with whatever monitor/resolution i have at the time", and until 4 years ago was 720p, now is 1080p, sometime in the next 2 years or so will be 4K. Simpelz

That's what we have been preaching for years but the average guy doesn't understand till it actually bites him in the butt. So many guys buy the FX chip because they see these 5GHZ+ clocks for bragging rites if for no other excuse but scrimp on the board and cooling. It's well documented in these forums. There are not many guys that come here saying I know my gear is not top shelf but can you help me get what I can from it and be happy.

The good part of that is those guys eventually get their gear squared away and some even go out on a limb and like Blaylock take the rodeo clown oath.

There are probably a fair few folks who read the "big" tech sites and see the "big" OC numbers for chips and don't find us until their CPU/mobo/power supply shows them it isn't that simple. I think a lot of people get here after the bad news , then start searching for real knowledge. At least that's my theory on how Overclockers gets the guys with the 6 month old FX and $70 mobo.

I managed to get here with a chip that was "meh" for OC fun and a usable mobo at the time. I started hunting for help when my Phenom X4 wouldn't go over 3 GHz. LMAO. Reading almost all of this forum ("You have reached the end of the internet. Please go back.") got me to 3038 MHz with it. All the CH Vs in the world weren't going to get that chip any faster. For this build I got the best board I could afford at the time and a hex core because I already knew (Thanks OC !) that an octo would be too much for my other parts. I hit 4400 MHz without drama and that's where the party stopped. I expected as much after a steep learning curve. This site should be linked to every AMD FX sales outlet under 'reviews'.
This thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co
and this one http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...D-FX-Bulldozer-Piledriver?highlight=Bulldozer should be a Read Me with every octo core AMD. They cut right through the hype and BS , and RGone is just fun to read. :)

I just paid for a used d5 pump with the cool xspc res, talk like this makes me think I should drag the mora 4x180 out of storage along with the 8350 and a board and spank that puppy with a little of that vcore "love juice".

I'll join in on the fun, got a GA-78LMT-S2P (rev. 5.x) that i have been itching to burn :clap:

I think next week might be time for some bling clocks in the overcloctagon.

thanks alaric, I do try to entertain and inform once in a while.
some folks don't seem to take my humor so lightly as he sent me this over a post I made in a thread having to do with filters for fans.

Attachments

• 2Please+stop_70ddd0_5583921.png
    2Please+stop_70ddd0_5583921.png
    269 KB · Views: 40
With their knack for hype and record of delivery as of late I'm not holding my breath. AMD is putting a lot of eggs in this basket completely different uarch on an untested die size. For their sake I hope they can make it fly and deliver on time.

:rofl: Yeah, what Johan said. AMD has been nothing but a hype machine for the last couple of years. I would imagine SOME test shows 40% and the rest much less than that.

Now, that said, I hope it is 40% faster so that prompts intel to get moving with larger jumps instead of incremental.

What is the saying again.."Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Yeah, AMD can keep their marketing bologna until I see real results. ;)

Back